Topic: Newbie greeting

HELLO CHORDIANS!  (btw I like that moniker LOLOL)

About me:
     My Name is Scott and I am 43.  Beamer is a nick name I picked up about 15 yrs ago from my father in law during my very first motorcycle rally. (As you can see “Beam me up Scotty" just fit)  I also have an original style command badge on my vest LOLOL!  So there are 2 of my other interest.
     I have been a music fan since the age of 8.  I had a neighbor who played guitar.  She was in her 20's and when my brothers and she would light a camp fire she always would play.  I thought her 12 string Ovation was the coolest thing I had ever seen.  Kiss was my very first RNR band and it went on from there.
     It was not till I was 16 and moved to NC from WV that I finally found a person willing to help me learn.
     Chuck was infinitely patient.  He was self taught and very good!  I got a book learned about 24 open chords and the different bar shapes.  Let’s just say I have been a frustrated player ever since.  I have never really learned theory, or lead.  I can play some of the basic chord keg rock.  I love my heavy metal (classic, 80’s!  And newer stuff) to this day.  I also love the classic songwriters (Harry Chapin, James Taylor, and Gordon Lightfoot).
     Everything I have learned about music has been stubborn determination chiseled into my granite head!  I have almost gotten rid of all my stuff many times over the last 25 years because I cannot make my AX sing the way I want it to.  I let it sit for a bit, then pick up my guitar turn my amp up and hit E5 on the 7th fret.  Start some palm muting and then I forget about how I can’t play Stairway or Eruption.  I remember that it’s about having fun and writing what’s inside.
     Influences:  To be completely honest to myself, I have to claim Jim Morrison, Harry Chapin, and E.A. Poe as three of the strongest for my one personality side.  The heavy and punk side sorta followed naturally but I have to say I really dig THE RAMONES for the 3 min hit all and no lead guitar! I will say that the 80s style is my favorite of “hair��  music.  Some of my buddies refer to ourselves as “CHUNKERS��  ripping the palm muted chug-a-chunk just makes me feel great.

Current equipment (most all budget minded):
Epiphone SG G400 cherry bridge p/u replaced with a Seymour Duncan George Lynch Screaming’ Demon
Fender 12 string acoustic (Dean Markley sound hole pick up)
Kaman 6 string deep bowl. (Was once a parent Co of Ovation) this guitar has been around the block! Love it!
Bugera V5 tube amp
Beheringer 1 x12 modeling amp (65W)
Effects chain—
Yamaha compressor/sustainer (84ish on year)
VOX Wah (Brit flag edition-rare)
Boss HM2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Sound Tank DL2
Ibanez FL9 flanger (80’s original)
DigiTech RP250 w/ dedicated laptop
My boys stuff that we all share (they are 9 and 10)
AXL Strat. Tobacco sunburst
Dean Michael Sheinker signature Flying V - GFS Crunchy Rails in bridge
Dano Fab distortion
DigiTech RP70
Johnson T-15 Hybrid amp.
Rogue LX 200B 4string bass
Standard Jazz bass (Fender knock off, plays great!)
DigiTech BP80
Fender 10 W practice bass amp
Well that about cover it! :-)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: Newbie greeting

Welcome to Chordie Scott,

I see you have already found the Recording section and met Russ, Jerome and Ark. You have a great collection of gear listed there and I have to say that I am rather envious of the Fender 12er smile.

Enjoy Chordie,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey Scott!  Welcome to Chordie!  You'll notice there's a bunch of good people here willing to help and to accept your help from newbies to those that have been playing forever.  smile 

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Scott,   Welcome to the coolest place in cyberspace.

Joe

Welcome Beamer.  Glad to have you here.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Welcome to chordie! I think you'll be surprised how much you'll grow as a player if you spend enough time on here!

All You Need is Love smile

Welcome too the site,there are alot of people like you here,and many pro's and semi-pros and all from beginners on up. You can almost always get help on most subjects.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Welcome.  Now you need to buy the coolest guitar ever made - an Ovation 12 string.  I hear there's a gal in WV looking to sell one.  She hasn't played much since the boys next door stopped having campfires. 

Good story.  Good information.  I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Welcome to Chordie, Beamer, from across the pond! Lots of great people on here, some of whom I have been lucky enough to meet and jam with...
Cheers!!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Zurf,

If the girl in WV actually remembers, she told me that both her guitars wold one day be mine.  I am hopiong that she will not have had to die for that to happen.  They would both be very collectable by now I would think since they are of 70s and early 80s vintage.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Roger,

It took me 16 of my 20 military years to get that fender.  I was lucky enough to go on a detachment to Ankorage Alaska for a top gun tye thing for 3 weeks.  We made some very nice PerDiem.  So I found the Fender!  good memories wrapped up in that trip and guitar.

Welcome to Chordie, always room for more, just jump in and hang on, great people here.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

I see you have already found the Recording section
and met Russ, Jerome and Ark. You have a great
collection of gear listed there and I have to say that
I am rather envious of the Fender 12er...