1 (edited by naolslager 2011-11-29 16:43:54)

Topic: Disingenuousness!

Here’s an Art & Lutherie Ami guitar for sale @ $150 – a good price.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/2652450450.html

Now here’s the same guitar listed @ $200

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/2715700033.html

Okay, so what you ask?

Well I know this guitar as I sold it to this seller about two months ago for $150. I don’t have a problem with someone making a profit – I try to do it frequently. I do have a problem with two simultaneous ads for the same item. (Housekeeping) And I do have a problem with him saying this, “i [sic] am the original owner and it is priced at less than 50% of what i have in it." For the record, I wasn't even the original owner of this instrument.

Unless he spent a LOT of money on it for the new strings, etc. this guy is a chucklehead, and that’s being nice! Really, this is of NO concern of mine as it falls outside of both my circle of responsibility and my circle of concern but I am troubled by this.

Re: Disingenuousness!

You should not be troubled. 

He should be. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Something is worth what the market will bear.  If he sells it for $200, that's what it's worth.

I'm not sure whats bugging you about this.  Was that the one you sold, and now he's claiming he's the original owner?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

Was that the one you sold, and now he's claiming he's the original owner?

That's my understanding.  He's giving false information about the item.  Listing the same thing twice at different price points is just... curious.  Nothing unethical about it that I see.  But listing false information that he KNOWS is false (i.e., not a simple error), regardless of whether the information is material to the value of the instrument, is inappropriate.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

sounds like a born politician lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

sounds like a born politician lol

You got that right Russell!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I see what neo is saying. It is a matter of personal ethics. Neo act s a certain way and it bothers him when others do not. Especially when Neo knows the full story behind this guitar. He wants to call the guy out but knows it wont make one bit of difference to this nitwit. Or to many others for that matter.

I feel you Neo. I would want to b&^% slap this nitwit myself.

Zurf wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

Was that the one you sold, and now he's claiming he's the original owner?

That's my understanding.  He's giving false information about the item.  Listing the same thing twice at different price points is just... curious.  Nothing unethical about it that I see.  But listing false information that he KNOWS is false (i.e., not a simple error), regardless of whether the information is material to the value of the instrument, is inappropriate.

Yeah, that would bug me, then.

You know, anyone can post on craigslist.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I'd call him out! At least he would know he wasn't fooling everyone. Just the way I am.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Bunbun,
I write this with one hand because the index finger of my other is touching the tip of my nose.

I just think the seller is full of crap, pardon my Latin. He seemed like a nice, honest guy when I met him but his $200 post is crap. I know it. He knows it. But it's not my concern and I do not feel compelled to call him out on this.

Actually I considered buying the guitar back (at $150) but have sense moved on with another small-bodied guitar and really have no need.
dj

The ideal situation would be to call him out in front of the person about to buy it. Let him think he's got a sucker on the line then let him have it. I hate false advertising!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

naolslager wrote:

it's not my concern and I do not feel compelled to call him out on this.

Personally, I think you're right on to take this position.  Karma will take care of it.  And we all know that karma is a bee-otch.

You get what you give.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Astronomikal wrote:
naolslager wrote:

it's not my concern and I do not feel compelled to call him out on this.

Personally, I think you're right on to take this position.  Karma will take care of it.  And we all know that karma is a bee-otch.

You get what you give.

I second that.  For those people in the world that will outright lie about things such as this, calling them out won't make an iota of difference anyway.  Karma or what not will be his in return for his behavior... and ... he will probably never learn his lesson.  I know a person just like this, and he's a used car salesmen.  Go figure.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

One day this person will recieve his/her just reward. Best to put it out of your mind and be at peace.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".