1 (edited by Astronomikal 2011-12-06 03:27:55)

Topic: Bowl Game Names

One of the more entertaining things to do this time of year is to check out the names of some of the lesser bowl games coming up between now and the BCS championship.

Some of the more interesting ones follow.  These are real (source: http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls ).

>>BEEF 'O' BRADY'S BOWL ST. PETERSBURG
>>San Diego County Credit Union Poinesttia Bowl
>>BELK BOWL (Really?  Isn't this a department store which specializes in women's clothing?  Really?)
>>Military Bowl -- Pres. By Northrop Grumman (So named because, imagine the backlash if "Northrop Grumman" appeared before "Military".)
>>BRIDGEPOINT EDUCATION HOLIDAY BOWL
>>Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl (The problem with this one is that the name isn't long enough.  Could have made it better by adding a few legal disclaimers.  I suggest:  "Franklin American Mortgage - FDIC insured up to $500K unless you're Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae in which case your mortgage is probably toxic and we won't insure it for jack squat - Music City Bowl, all right reserved.")
>>KRAFT FIGHT HUNGER BOWL (Other causes need to get in on the act.  Expect a Susan G Komen "Boobie Bowl" - or similar - before the end of the decade.  No joke intended here, folks.  Think of the revenue.)
>>TAXSLAYER.com GATOR BOWL (The Gator Bowl used to be awesome in name alone.  "Taxslayer.com" is hardly menacing.)

and my personal favorite:
FAMOUS IDAHO POTATO BOWL (no snide comments necessary)

Well, enjoy!

'Nom

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Bowl Game Names

The Potato Bowl has to be the most awesome name in bowl game history.

Honestly, I think there are too many bowl games.  It's become like NASCAR in the amount of branding.  The BCS championship game isn't even in one of the traditional bowls any more, it's just the "Allstate BCS Championship Game."   

The tradition of the bowl games went out the window when they adopted the new format, and frankly, I'd rather they had it back.   Arguing over who is really #1 isn't ever going to end so long as there is no playoff system.  They aught to take the Meat Soup Bowl and the TrendyDotCom Bowl and use them as a first round qualifier for a real playoff system, with the championships being decided in the big five (Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Sugar, and Orange).

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

The Potato Bowl has to be the most awesome name in bowl game history.

Agreed.  It's running right up there with another of my all-time favorites:  The Poulan Weed Eater Bowl.

Also, I agree with your proposal to use the lesser bowl games as qualifiers and the big bowls for finals.  I've been saying that for years.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Looks like an advetising,money making thing too me.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Considering the teams that will be playing, this years national championship game should be called the Oversigning.com Bowl.

I wonder at what point sponsors are going to realize that adding their name to a bowl game makes it sound so ridiculous that the "advertisement" becomes counter-productive.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:

Considering the teams that will be playing, this years national championship game should be called the Oversigning.com Bowl.

The NCAA should do something about that.  After you explained it to me, it sits less and less well with me.  The "student athlete" concept has always been somewhat laughable in the face of NCAA money grabs, but the oversigning issue is just tacit admission that it's a joke.  We could, at a minimum, at least pretend to give a crap about football player's educations.

I wonder at what point sponsors are going to realize that adding their name to a bowl game makes it sound so ridiculous that the "advertisement" becomes counter-productive.

We're already there.  Some of these bowls are simply the Sponsor's Name Bowl.  See Godaddy.com Bowl as an example.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]