1 (edited by mekidsmom 2011-12-09 12:40:13)

Topic: Effects Pedals?

So, here I am again in the Electric section around Christmas trying to figure out what to get for my son.  You know, my acoustic doesn't have any options for different sounds/tones except for a slight change in tonality with a string change.  I like it that way.  I really do prefer the acoustic sound to any electric.  Every time I pick up one of their guitars, I fiddle with the controls on the amp and the switch on the guitar until it sounds... almost like an acoustic.  LOL!

Anywhooooo... My son is 15 now and doesn't seem to want much of anything (except money, never having to do chores, and to drive my car in about 5 months when he hits 16), but he did mention maybe a multi-effects pedal, or something of the sort for Christmas.  Sooooo, I really don't know the first thing about them.  What should I get AND what do I need?  Can I really just pick up a pedal, or is there some do-hicky I need that goes with it to make it work properly?  Will I need extra cable?  More about my son if it helps... My son doesn't have much rhythm built into him, he likes to figure out lead guitar parts, he can read chords and tab, he seems to like some of the classic rock (yes, it's making a come back in the youth), and he also likes pop music (I consider it to sound a bit like rap, but apparently it's really Pop and I'm old and don't know anything.  I really don't see him playing any of it on an electric guitar... he can make some neat beat box noises though).  He just has a SMALL practice amp, you know, what would come in a beginner package deal.  I know he probably could use a slightly stronger amp, but as a general rule... he just uses headphones in the amp so it seems kind of silly to me to spend money on a better one.  If he needs a better one though because he needs extra imputs or something, that would be important to know.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give.  I know my Chordie friends will be able to help me out as always!  I realize there are TONS of options out there for pedals, I just don't have a clue where to start or what goes with them, we want to make sure he can play something on X-mas morning and rock the house!  smile

Amy

.edited to remove information that might ruin a surprise to one of the few people on my list.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

2 (edited by Buzzwagon 2011-12-07 14:15:11)

Re: Effects Pedals?

OH Amy, you've opened a can of worms with this one!

I like Boss stuff, it's pretty much bullet proof, reasonable priced and there are loads about. It all really depends what you want to spend.

Your son likes classic rock so how about a distortion pedal. He'll need two leads, (one from the guitar to the pedal and another from the pedal to the amp. You'll also need a power lead for the pedal.

Or alternatively, for a bit more money what about a Boss multi effects unit. This will give him a choice of effects and a chance to play around. A nice unit is the Boss ME25. You'll need the same stuff as for a single pedal.

For little less money the Danelectro Cool Cat range are pretty good. Metal bodies and some really nice effects. Same stuff applies regarding the extras that you'll need.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

look in the Chordie market forum I think there is one for sale smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

smile  Thanks for the tip Russell!  My only dilemma is my husband is a NOTORIOUS last minute shopper... so I'll have to talk him into this very soon if it's to get here in time for Christmas!  I'm going to do a little research today and talk with him and get back to you asap.  smile

Jerry - Thanks for the response.  It's good to know that Boss is top of the line (especially since that's what Russell's selling). 

So if I get this right... guitar plugs into pedal then you need the same type of chord to go from pedal to amp... and pedal also needs power.  So really, we'll just need ONE extra lead because he obviously already has one that he uses from the guitar to the amp.

DigiTech also makes a good product, especially since most younger folks don't know from tubes.  I bought this one for myself:  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ … 4000000000  mainly because it can interface directly with GarageBand on my iPad.  There are also less expensive products in this line as well.  Solidly built and works as advertised.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

yes Amy it only requires 2 guitar chords the unit has a ac/dc converter power chord so it runs on either 8 ccc batteries or it can be pluggen into an outlet smile 

mekidsmom wrote:

smile  Thanks for the tip Russell!  My only dilemma is my husband is a NOTORIOUS last minute shopper... so I'll have to talk him into this very soon if it's to get here in time for Christmas!  I'm going to do a little research today and talk with him and get back to you asap.  smile

Jerry - Thanks for the response.  It's good to know that Boss is top of the line (especially since that's what Russell's selling). 

So if I get this right... guitar plugs into pedal then you need the same type of chord to go from pedal to amp... and pedal also needs power.  So really, we'll just need ONE extra lead because he obviously already has one that he uses from the guitar to the amp.

Russell_Harding wrote:

yes Amy it only requires 2 guitar chords the unit has a ac/dc converter power chord so it runs on either 8 ccc batteries or it can be pluggen into an outlet smile 

mekidsmom wrote:

But with Boss stuff you have to buy the transformer separately, no need to buy a Boss one though as they are stupidly expensive in comparison to a no name one that does exactly the same thing!

Jerry

There is no transformer the power source is a AC/DC converter and its included.

Buzzwagon wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

mekidsmom wrote:

But with Boss stuff you have to buy the transformer separately, no need to buy a Boss one though as they are stupidly expensive in comparison to a no name one that does exactly the same thing!

Jerry

I am glad all the people are helping you amy,I do not know much on the subject,except I have always heard Boss is the best.As for your son I was like that at age 15,and I wanted too drive so bad I was counting down the days hours and min. he sounds typical for that age.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The best thing you can do to satisfy an ADD teenager's whim of the moment tone fix is with a multi-effects pedal.   The quality of the tones won't be as sweet as if you buy specialized pedals, but if you buy a specialized pedal, it is going to produce the one tone it produces really well, but that's it.  Nothing sounds quite like a Big Muff, but when he decides he needs to compose the Epic Love Song for his sweetie, it's not going to do him much good.

Something like this http://www.digitech.com/en/products/rp255  will give him all kinds of options for a pretty good price and keep him occupied for hours.   

You'll also want to get him a good set of headphones, unless you want to listen to it all day.  smile

The Rig that Russell is selling is really good kit, too.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Ditto what Jerome said.  A multieffects pedal supplies WAY more bang for the buck over buying individual pedals and then figuring out how best to connect them and adjust them.  The effects pedal market is super saturated right now, so its impossible to choose unless you really need a Big Muff or a Cry Baby Wah.  All of the multieffects pedals do a good job of emulating the classic pedals and even the newer ones.  I have a multieffects processor but I also have other effects in my chain beside that.  They are a good base to start with and they can grow by adding specific items to them to make your own signature sound.  You can even improve the sound or your acoustic with just some minor tweeks.  You can create and name your own presets so that all you have to do is hit a button or two and completely change your sound.. They are quite impressive and many manufacturers make them.  I have a Digitech, but Line 6, Pod, Vox, Boss and many others make similar products.

Now available in 5G !

I have Line 6 (guitar effects), Boss (loop), and Zoom (fer THUNDERSTICK!!!). They're all good.  Haven't used Digitech but I've no reason to assume anything other than goodness there, too.

Amy,

I have a bit of all the above.  Boss Is NICE, but pricy.  I have the slighly older Digitech RP250.  I think the 255 would be a great way to go!  I bought my 10yr old a RP70 last year and he just uses the stock settings, has not tried to programme or tweak any of the factory stuff. 

The very cool thing of the RP255 is that he can hook it to his laptop/ desk top and go to the RP website, down load the free X-edit software, and have about 100 different effects at his whim.  they also have downloads of 1000's and I do mean 1000's of user made patches you can down load.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ … ects-pedal

here is the info links:  http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/rp255  if you dont want to spend that much  look into the 155 or the 70, but the 255 has teh expression pedal.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ … ects-pedal
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ … fect-pedal

but for 120 you really cant go wrong.  If he ends up like me he will not want to stop there.  I love a mix of my processor and stomps.  I can set a clean chorused setting on the RP and when I need to boost it for some nastyness in the same song I stomp down on my MXR Full Bore metal. 

also to repeat what someone else mentioned Danelectro makes great stuff for the price.  I even say for starters the FAB line of pedals is good.  I just bought a delay and a chorus for my nephew.  at 15 and 20 bucks,, you really cant complain.  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar-e … =site1AQBA

When I bought the RP70 for my son, I also bought him a Fab distortion  so he could do what I mentioned above.

As far as power,,, all the stomps run on either an AC adaptor or 9V battery.  ( suggest for starters, get him a big value pack of 9Volts)  On the RP, there is no on off switch, So I have it attached to a short power strip and use its on off button.

Hope this helps.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

If you are looking for something under 100 bucks you might want to look into the Zoom Multi-effects pedals. This one seems to be a good one with the most good reviews of any of them, ( I too am looking for a cheap multi-effects pedal and am going to get this one if I can).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Zoom-G1XN-G … 1712747.gc

If you are willing to spend more I would get the BOSS system that Russel has for sale. The price is unbeatable and the reviews for his system are the most positive of those in that retail category, (Not Russell's price but the retail price for a NEW BOSS multi-effects like his).

15 (edited by beamer 2011-12-09 03:55:24)

Bunbun

I would spend the extra money for the ablility to go into a laptop via usb, and really see what things look like + being able to record directly to your comp.

I would ask GC to show you one hooked up to a comp and then play with both units,,,,

but hey thats just me ,,(an Im a little biased, there are 3 RP units in my guitar room. My RP250, my 10yr olds RP 70 and my 9yr olds BP80) :-)

I guess its what bells and whistles you want.

(or buy 6 Fab pedals LOLOLOL)
cheers!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

I have that ability with my Behringer yet I would rather have the pedals. I don't like to have to stop playing to change sounds ( I use my chorus on my acoustic amp to produce distortion...It works to a fashion). I would rather use the pedals to make the changes and leave my hands to play the guitar.

Well that is the same thing I was saying a few post ago.  I mean once you dial in a custom sound, you save it to your bank.  tehn I can just use my toe to turn on whatever I want.  What Beheringer do you have?  I have a GMX 1x12 and a Bugera V5R. Or are you running a Vamp?

My electric guitar is a Behringer iAXE629. It has the USB port so I can play directly into my comp if I have the amp program. I just use my amp.

Russ,

in the UK Boss pedals don't come with anything, no lead not even a battery!

Jerry

WOW!  Ok... so I talked with the hubby last night and he was thinking that since individual pedals can be had so cheap (like around $20) ... and we don't REALLY know for sure what effects the boy is looking for... maybe the best thing to do is just take him shopping.  I wanted to surprise him, hubby wants to allow him to shop, I want him to have the present to play with it ON Christmas, we're pretty back and forth on this.  I think maybe this is a decision best left up to the user... much like an acoustic guitar purchase! 

It's been a while since we've set him loose in the guitar stores and just let HIM look (we're mean, usually we are looking and make him keep an eye on his sisters so they don't destroy anything).  I do think Russell's set up is an AMAZING Value, especially after looking at the reviews and prices of used units available... but I'm going to have to pass.  You guys have all made my head spin a little.  There's so many options!  Yep... I think we're just going to go take him shopping and see what he picks.  I think I'll tell him, "Pick something assuming you only have $50.  Now something assuming you have $150.  Now something assuming you have $250-350"  And see just WHAT it is he really wants!

If anyone has more suggestions or ideas, please keep them coming!  I am going to show the hubster all these suggestions.  When I'm ready for sure to say we're going shopping, I'll show him too so he can make an informed shopping decision of his own.  I want to make sure he's going to be happy as I think this will be his main present this year.  That means, electric gear and some socks.  LOL!  Teenagers are so hard to buy for, everything they want is just so expensive!  My two little girls are going to be thrilled to death with each little $5-10 item they open.  I miss when he was little and so much easier to please!

I have a Zoom 504 II Accoustic effects pedal which I use with my electric guitar.  It works really well so I would happily recomend a zoom.  However a word of caution here... Dont confuse an effects pedel with a mood or wawa pedal.  In reality you need both unless the unit you buy has it built in.  Although the effects pedal has maybe 50 built in effects and can be programmed for many thousands more, while playing, all you can do is hit either on or off...so effect or no effect.  If you want to adjust how much effect while playing then you need the mood or wawa as well. 
Happy Christmas!!

My ambition far exceeds my ability

I think what Patrick is talking about is an "expression" pedal.   On "stomp boxes" the pedal is just a switch to turn the effect on or off.  An expression pedal allows you to control the amount of effect with the pedal.  Think in terms of a wah pedal, for example. The effect is always on, and the pedal controls the tone.

My Zoom B9's pedal is completely programmable.  For any given effects chain I can have it control any of the particular effects.  It also has a sweet "z-dimension" feature.  The pedal not only moves vertically like a normal pedal, but the top slides horizontally as well, allowing me to control two features with it.  I've re-programmed most of my patches to have the "Z" be a simple volume control.  Pretty handy.

Amy all good input from the post's above,but I am overwhelmed like you. Maybe you might give him a Gift certificate too a Music store or online site where he can chose what he wants. Save this post and have him look at the goodies here himself.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Back in '89 I bought a Korg effects pedal. It has 60 different effects and I can write 60 more. My 1960 Gibson sounds great using each effect. I play through the selection using different licks to get the most fun out of each effect.
Gigging, I have a number in red ink written on each song page to recall the effect I selected for it. It really helps change up the sound for a single song guy act. If I wasn't retired, I would add a wah-wah pedal, a volume control pedal and a looper.
I did splurge on a vocal harmonizer. I try not to use it too much.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

My first effects was the ME50 and still the one thing I use the most.  Especially like the volume pedal.  Here's one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boss-ME-50-Mult … 4cfbb4225a