Topic: Ordering on line

I am about to purchase a new instrument, online. The company is MusicM; they have a store in Toronto, an online catalogue and what seems to be a chain in the U.S. Anybody ever heard of them? I'm purchasing a 6-string banjo - I've wanted one for awhile now, but don't know much about the company.
Let me know if you've any experiences with Musicm, good or bad, please, so I can either order with confidence or keep looking.
Thanks
Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Re: Ordering on line

None.  Is it a real banjo with six strings, or is it a banjotar which has a banjo body but is tuned like a guitar.   I've never heard of a regular banjo with six strings and so I'm curious. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I would never buy an instrument I haven't physically held in my hands.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Zurf - it is a banjitar or 6 string banjo.
Jermoe - I bought one new guitar online and it was fine. I did try it out at my local music store. The problem with the banjo is that I have been searching for one for several years, without success. The shop that sells them is a 5 hour drive from home. They do have a no-questions asked return policy. I am torn.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"

Look around first to see if you can find it cheaper at a local music store.After you figure in shipping charges,it may cost you more in the end. It won`t hurt to do some research first. The worst that could happen is nothing. I prefer the instant gratification of getting it at a store.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I'm with Jerome. Too much potential variance between "identical" instruments.

I've ordered 3 guitars online. 2 were used. The one that was new I had tried out and then found a good deal online. I don't have any issues with online purchasing. Their return policy makes it appealing too.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Had no problems with buying online you can always return the guitar if you really don't like it or resell it.
I guess if your an expert guitar player then you might poo poo the idea of buying a guitar before trying it out first. Then I'm not an expert...:)
ark

A no questions return policy sure is appealing.  I bought my husband and son's electric guitars online and both were quite pleased.  It was a different site that came highly recommended by several other chordians.  They too had a no questions asked return policy.  I suggest emailing or calling the place and see how you FEEL about their customer service.  Talk with them about your valid concerns about buying online, and the return policy.  Then go with your gut!  Good luck!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks all - took the plunge - should get my stringed tambourine in about 10 days or so...

I'm practicing the opening of Duelling Banjoes and sayin' "You shore got a purty mouth"

for future ref: I have bought equipment  and guitars form Musicians friend, and music123.  sservice is great, MF has no shipping charges as of the last year on most orders. M123 Is none on anything over 50 bucks. Customer service at both places has been exceptional.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

FWIW - Music123, Musicians Friend and Guitar Center are all owned by the same corporate conglomeration.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

yea but you can pit them against each other :->

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

arkady wrote:

Had no problems with buying online you can always return the guitar if you really don't like it or resell it.
I guess if your an expert guitar player then you might poo poo the idea of buying a guitar before trying it out first. Then I'm not an expert...:)
ark

I'm far from an expert.  But there are certain things that are personal enough that I want to handle them before I make a buying decision.  SCUBA gear, guns, and guitars all fall into this category.  It isn't a question of the guitar being broken, it's a question of the guitar being "right."  And as Mr. Dude notes, two guitars of the same make and model, but different production runs may differ significantly.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:
arkady wrote:

ark

I'm far from an expert.  But there are certain things that are personal enough that I want to handle them before I make a buying decision.  SCUBA gear, guns, and guitars all fall into this category.  It isn't a question of the guitar being broken, it's a question of the guitar being "right."  And as Mr. Dude notes, two guitars of the same make and model, but different production runs may differ significantly.

I feel the same as jerome,I have seen alot of junk from mail order stuff. I would not want too buy a guitar or other stringed insterment unless it feels and sounds right for me.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Whitewater,
You might try www.banjo.com. Their website might contain helpful information about banjos. They are an internet store but they do have a small showroom for locals and they just happen to be located about 15 minutes from my house. I have visited a few times to take a look at one of the few guitars they sell.
Good luck.

p.s. I thought banjo music was terrifying to white-water folks?
dj

nao - Did I mention that I was practising the opening licks of Dueling Banjos and practising saying the purty mouth line?