Topic: Any Ideas?

I've been asked to play a short set at our local university next weekend.  Its a 2-hour program featuring several local singer-songwriters and musicians. I attended a similar program last year and all musicians were using acoustic-electrics (none of the guitars were mic'd).  I could take my acoustic-electric Blueridge but for the last couple months I've been mostly playing a Recording King ROS-16 - a mahogany/spruce slot-head acoustic with a wide (1-13/16) string spacing.  It has a brighter sound than the rosewood/spruce Blueridge, great sustain and overtones and I find the wide neck easier to play because of my big hands. Last night I installed an LR Baggs Element VTC I had laying around.  The installation went easy, string height nearly perfect, no buzzing, etc but the pickup really amplifies the sustain and overtones to the point of becoming annoying.  I tried different combinations of amp settings and tone adjustments on the LR Baggs but couldn't find anything that suited me.

I know I could replace the bone nut and saddle with a different material or change the pins to deaden the sound, or even put on some old strings but then it wouldn't produce the great acoustic sound when played un-amplified. I'd hate to have to make changes every time I switch from acoustic to acoustic-electric.  Has anyone else ran into this problem?  If so, how did you address it?  I guess I'll just use my Blueridge for the gig but would like to set up the slot-head to use in the future.

Any ideas?

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Any Ideas?

Sorry i cannot help with the sound problem. But i did want to compliment on your choice of guitar: RK ROS-06. Fantastic!

Elixer strings are known for being a little less bright, so maybe give those a try.  I use Custom Light nanowebs at 0.011.

how about a sound hole damper like this  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/s … hole+cover

it may help.  try one out at a shop.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Hi D.E., you might try Beamers suggestion. I have the P.W. $5.95 solid plug in a Taylor 314 and it works well

as a feedback killer and the P.W. open hole in my Crafter which works well to control feedback but adds volume

acoustically(so they say),but not much as I can tell so my guess is to try the solid plug type as it is less

expensive I believe.  Good luck-Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

The sound damper sounded like a great idea.  I have a Kyser "Lifeguard" guitar sound hole humidifier back in a drawer and thought I'd try it out as a substitute solid" plug. The LR Baggs VTC (volume and tone control) unit that is fitted just inside the hole was in the way, but I was able to maneuver around enough to plug the hole without touching the strings, although I couldn't get to the VTC control knobs.  It made a big improvement.  I think if I buy a solid plug and cut it so the knobs can still be accessed, it should work.  Thanks for the suggestion beamer and Mike.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

VERY WELCOME

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)