Topic: Scout songs and other projects...

How many Scouts do we have on Chordie?? I'm looking for some good campfire tunes for the boys... I'd like for them to be real easy since I'll need to teach 1 of them to the boys for their music merit badge... Of course it needs to be clean, funny is good, and scout related is even better smile  Also at the meeting tonight I'm covering camp cooking and need to come up with a good dutch oven recipe...  Thought some of you outdoorsman may have a recommendation wink I know several but am looking for something new, good and easy that the boys can handle and be edible for myself and the other scout leaders smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Scout songs and other projects...

um... I was a girl scout many years ago... and this is THE song we always sang:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=988YtYkjhg8  LOL!  I know that doesn't help at all.  As for camp cooking, I don't think I've ever used a dutch oven at camp.  Just take a slab of cow, add a little salt and peper and throw it on the grill till it's done (just make sure your grill is big enough for your slab of cow).  Good LUCK PIX!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks MK! My sisters were both in the girl scouts and I remember them singing this too smile   We've been doing the grill thing so I wanted to get them cooking with our DO's...  I've got a few good ideas already, just figured I'd ask in case someone had any better smile   

I'll be doing a mini concert for the troop tonight and I'm going to do Rocky Raccoon, With my Own Two Hands, Upside Down, and this Green day/Scout parody http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdAz-VaVKzQ

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

I like this one also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gp-UL2vl-s

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

deadstring wrote:

I like this one also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gp-UL2vl-s

Awesome! Added to the list!     

BTW Happy NGD Deadstring!!  Sharp guit you got there smile

Sometimes I feel so stupid big_smile     Looked up the tab for the Robin Hood song and after the first run I shake my head..... Dog-on internet tabs are never right.... So I start working it by ear thinking hmmm these are some odd fingerings!!! Then I finally realize "Hey you were playing ragtime blues in open G last night" smile  Yep trying my make use of a tab in standard while in Tarapatch tuning.....   Shakes head wink

Hey Pix. Here's a link to a bunch of campfire songs and a ton of other stuff. Enjoy!  http://www.kristinhall.org/songbook/Songbook.html

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

8 (edited by Guitarpix 2012-02-06 18:33:51)

Thanks Butch!!  How's things been goin'?  I haven't talked to you much since the shutdown...

Think I found the Dutch Oven recipe we're going to do smile

2 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, softened
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp grated orange peel
16 flour tortillas
1 large jar strawberry preserves
1 container sliced strawberries
2 eggs beaten
4 tbs margarine, softened
Pre-heat Dutch oven with large pot lid on bottom and line with foil. Thoroughly mix together cream cheese, ricotta cheese, sugar, and orange peel. Spoon about 1/4 cups mixture onto center of each tortilla. Top with 1/4 cups mixture of strawberry preserves and sliced strwberries. Roll tortilla. Brush both ends with eggs and fold to seal. Brush each with melted margarine. Place layer in Dutch oven and sprinkle with sugar. Continue layering until all are in oven. Bake 8-10 minutes.

Sounds like something the kids will eat up and look forward to.  I know I am smile  Got me wanting one already...lol

9 (edited by dino48 2012-02-07 17:49:50)

Poison Ivy (the coasters) Centerfield ( credence clearwater), Running bear?. Spam and eggs or Hash and eggs. spagetti and some canned sauce. Camp Granada (Allen Sherman)

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

How about a fish song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1CEvt2lyuc

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I'd been a scouter from 1970 to 2006, sorta semi-retired now. I get to do campfire programs now and again by request, but getting a little long in the tooth for full-time scouting.  Send me an email and I can send you a boatload of campfire resources. I have around 300 odd themed campfire programs in binders, and hundreds of scout songs as well.
What age group are you leading?
Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

First reaction was: Hey... I have a really good scout songbook in my links... *searching... finding... reading...*

DOH! That's what you get when you move semi-fluently between two languages... I don't think a lot of German Scoutsongs will be of much help, won't they?

http://www.aggi.de

Just came from autoharp workshop and heard cool call answer. Search utube Bryan Bowers dem deer. Unbelievable tongue twister. Authors posted CD lyrics. Only good brain needed.

I may be late on this, but aside from teh dutch oven,, Have they been taught foil packs yet?

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)