Topic: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! I think this is the best area for this question.

I've been running into a lot of songs that say " tune down 1/2 step" 
I don't have a second  acustic guitar to keep tuned down so..............

I found a really nice transposer online but I'm having trouble figuring out how to use it.  I make it tune up 1/2 step but its doesn't come out right.

OR........................

Is there an easy way to just use the Capo???

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!! I think this is the best area for this question.

well, using the capo is going to just raise it up, not lower it down.... but... if the songs are here on chordie there is a transpose -1 feature. 

If we don't get any other answers from more established players within the next day, I will probably move this to the acoustic section for you as there's a bit more traffic there.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

3 (edited by NELA 2012-03-01 19:36:23)

You can tune all strings down 1/2 step and play all those tuned down songs.  Then place a capo on the 1st fret and this will put you back to open E and you can just continue to play while the capo serves as the nut.

Nela

Nela, why oh why didn't I think of that?

His wife had to tell him I bet!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Deadstring, this ain't pick on Nela day. And I'll have you to know she tells me a lotta things but this was not one of them!

Nela

Great idea on tuning down 1/2 then using the capo.   But let's say the I'm normally tuned can and  what fret can I put the capo on to be in tune with the 1/2 down or would the capo be to high on the neck???

11th fret I think.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Ok, your open tuning is E - A - D - G - B - e. (all strings strummed open)

If you tune down 1/2 step the open tuning would be Eb - Ab - Db - Gb - Bb - eb. (all strings strummed open) Say the key to this song is "Gb". Your chord progression would be Gb - B - Db. (this is if you were playing in open E tuning) These are difficult chords to make so by tuning down 1/2 step you can play tour simple open G - C - D chords and the voicing will be correct.

So get your guitar and tune down 1/2 step for the songs where you need this tuning. Now you have just played your songs with this tuning and want to play something that is in a typical open E tuning. Instead of having another guitar standing by in open E tuning and having to swap in order to play your next song you would simply place your capo on the 1st fret and you would be back to E - A - D - G - B - e and could play all your bacsic chords without any problems.

A capo can be your best friend once you learn to use it. Some people call it a "cheater" but it is a good tool to have.  As a quick lesson, you are playing in open E tuning (E - A - D - G - B - e) in the key of "G" (the chord progression is G - C - D). The next song called out is in the key of "A"
(that chord progression A - D - E) You can put your capo on the 2nd fret, play your G - C - D chords and the voicing will be A - D - E. Move the capo to the 4th fret, play your G - C - D chords and you will be playing in the chord progression for the key of "B". Capo placed on the 5th fret and the G - C - D chords and you will be playing the chord progression for the key of "C".

Learn your notes on the fret board. Learn the root notes to your chords. Learn to transpose the key of a song.

Hope I have not confused this issue.

Nela

Deadstring - when we gonna get together and play a few songs? I know how much you admire my playing.

Nela

mekidsmom wrote:

Nela, why oh why didn't I think of that?

Amy I think maybe you did not wash out out all the blond!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Good point dino!  wink