1 (edited by naolslager 2012-03-09 11:09:32)

Topic: NGD! My Kids Say I'll Talk to Anyone.

So I walk into Guitar Center yesterday. I was in the area of the GC Mothership in Atlanta and found some time to deviate from what I was supposed to be doing. I head straight for the acoustic room. When I walk in there is a man smiling at me with a big grin. I say hello and we exchange pleasantries and the conversation begins. It turns out he has just decided to buy a Martin D-15M and he tells me this with much excitement.

This model is one of my favorites so I dive into the conversation and forego browsing. The guy tells me his doctor told him he needed a hobby if he was to continue aging in this world. (He looked about my age.) He said he always loved the sound of the acoustic guitar do he was going to buy one and learn to play. I compliment him on his choice of instruments while secretly wishing I could afford one. He could not play a thing and so I was able to dazzle him with my G-C-D chord progression and some crude finder-picking I'm trying to learn. He thought I was Jimmy Page!

I watched as he proceeded to take delivery of a brand new, minty fresh, D-15M right out of the box. Of course, he bought a stand, tuner, and a handful of picks. I was so excited for him. Here he was taking the first steps of his musical journey. He walked out of the store guitar in hand and big smile on his face.

I sat down with another D-15M and the DRS1 and played them for about 45 minutes. The whole time I was thinking how lucky he was in finding his new hobby. Of course, I was also trying to figure out how I could get a D-15.
dj

Re: NGD! My Kids Say I'll Talk to Anyone.

Nice story!  Either the guy had talked to some people that know guitars already, or he just had funny money to throw around.  Either way, I imagine the guitar journey starting out on a fine instrument like that will be easier to start as well as continue than the $200 bangers we all started with!  wink  Good for him!  And good for you too!  My kids get frustrated when I talk to strangers, "Mom, do you KNOW that lady????" ha ha!  You probably made that guys day even better though.  It sounds like he might have been looking for a little reassurance from someone who "can play" that the Martin was a good choice.  Nice job Nao!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

3 (edited by naolslager 2012-03-09 13:10:54)

Mekidsmom,
This guy did not look like Rockefeller but he knew nothing about guitars. Nothing. He was guided by the sales person and the appeal of the sound of the guitar. I might have shown him other options but I do not work there and didn't want to disrupt the sale. Not my place. In some ways it was hard to watch as I suspect this was a near-impulse buy. But I maintained a positive approached and applauded him on his selection and wished him the best of luck.

Yes, he was looking for reassurance and piled it on. I wish someone had done that for me when, three years ago, i walked in to buy my first guitar.
dj

Did you invite him to join Chordie? 

He bought a good guitar.  Good for him.  A buddy of mine was marrying.  Both he and his wife to be had been widowed in their first marriages, so it was quite a challenge to them to reduce four households down to one.  In doing it, he gave away a bunch of guitars his first wife had had.  He had expressed interest in learning, so I asked why he didn't keep one or two.  He said that his fiance's first husband had decided he wanted to learn to play and went out and bought a $2000 Taylor.  If he wanted to learn, that ought to do.  Yep, I thought.  It ought to do. 

It'll be easier for him to learn on a good guitar like that.  I hope he does great and that we're all listening to him on Youtube or .mp3's some day. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf,
Regarding Chordie: Mission Fail. Funny, he did ask how I was learning and I said YouTube, which is true, but shame on me. From now on I will make sure I refer folks to Chordie.
dj

Please do.  We'd love to have the opportunity to encourage a beginner.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Good story,the guy has too start with a high end guitar,I envy him,but good for him.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Cool story DJ. But you missed an opportunity to be able to handle that Martin regularly. You should have offered him some lessons. I'm sure if he put down that kinda money on his new guitar, then lessons would be a no brainer. And it's just cool to pass on the knowledge you have to someone else.

BTW, Amy, I love my <$200 bangers that I have!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it's not considered cheating to participate in other guitar forums but I posted this same story here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru … ?t=244077, where the conversation took a decidedly different path.

Interesting all those folks trying to make decisions for a person they never met.  People are weird, including me. 

- Zurf

11 (edited by naolslager 2012-03-09 22:46:55)

Each forum has its own personality. I've always found Chordie to  be open-minded, nonjudgmental, and supportive.

Oh, and remember, everyone is someone else's weirdo.

note to self:  Chordie was a great place to begin my guitar journey, and a fab place to continue it.  The people here are kind, and fairly non-judgemental.  I love Chordie and the Chordie members especially.  Thank the members for the kind reminder.

DJ - Thank you very much for the kind reminder of WHY I love Chordie so much!  I think it's a GREAT story, and absolutely nothing at all to debate or argue over.  I'm happy for that guy.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I think I was more excited than he was! His knowledge and beginner status can best be illustrated by the fact he asked me if the D-15 was a dreadnought.

Wait a minute!!!!!!!  I don't know if a D-15 is a dread or not. I'm guessing it is. But then again, I didn't just buy one brand new either. So I guess I'm a beginner too.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!