Topic: fingertips

i am new....bought myself an electric acoustic (washburn) i love it and am having a great time learning...been playing hard as often as possible and my fingertips are tinglely and going numb....is that bad? and not just when i play but pretty much all the time....some one suggested i stop for a while and see if it goes away someone else said i should go to a doctor and have it checked out....(a i am not going to stop and (b do i look like i have health insurance? i'm a 40 year old single dad with twin boys.....the only time you'll see me at the doctors is when i am in the emergency room bleeding

Re: fingertips

Don't go to a doctor and don't stop playing. Your fingers are becoming calloused and if you stop the callouses will soften. We all go through this. My fingertips felt weird (numb and had grooves in them) for about three months but then I got used to it. as long as you play your fingers will have the callouses; they will never be soft.

Callouses on the fingers are a badge of the guitar player. If you say you play and have soft finger tips you are a poser.

Welcome to Chordie and keep on playing!

Hi jimmer1971
Welcome to Chordie.
This question been asked many times and the answers yes it's normal when learning the guitar.
You will probably get loads of "advice" which is good in it's way but it all boils down to keeping at it with the guitar.
If it get really painful then stop for a while then go back later your finger tips will harden over time and will eventually not be an issue.
I've played for years but still remember the dents, blisters and some pain with learning it's just another fence to jump on the journey.
Keep at it and as they say "No pain no gain"
Got a couple of Washburns myself nice guitars....
ark

anyone else care to comment? (though i think i get thats its normal)
ok!
i'll keep playing hard...i cant believe it took me this long in my life to commit to really learning, but i am dedicated and going to learn....
any advice on lessons or anything else guitar related is welcome.....i looked at a couple of lessons on you tube and that was worthwhile, hard to keep up with but worthwhile....i got a couple of books also, which is easier to keep up with but ehh! not quite the same
thanks for the advice guys

There is litttle else to say but to agree with the comments from Bunbun and Ark, apart from welcoming you to Chordie.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Welcome Jimmer!!!!

www.justinguitar.com

That's all I'm gonna say.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I started this git thing almost 3 years ago at age 60.  I had th same condition you are experiencing.  What helped is when a smart a$$ player told me to stop the DEATH GRIP on the neck of the git and RELAX.  Techinque is MUCH better than gripping the neck tighter.  If you're not getting good ring to your chords, improve your grip/technique, don't grab tighter.  My buddy that got me started has been playing for over 45 years and has very little calouse on his fingers.  Just need to relax with good technique.  Keeping It Fun, Dean

Keeping It Fun, Dean
'91 Epiphone PR350E
'11 Taylor GC3
'15 Taylor GS Mini/Mahogany

WELCOME TO CHORDIE!

All good advise above.  Numbness is likely from the callouses forming.  Tingling could be from the blisters.  As for how long it'll last... that's a matter of you, your skin, how much you play, etc... etc... 

Dean has a good suggestion - we do tend to fret a bit too tight when starting.  More pressure isn't always the answer, sometimes it's a matter of HOW you fret, where you fret, etc.

I second justinguitar.com

HAVE FUN!  We are often ready to move forward before our fingers are, but there's plenty of time.  When you're not playing and wish you were, try to brush up a little on music theory.  You'll get there soon enough, and then there will STILL be something to learn!  smile

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

All good above. You might check the action of your strings, too. I had a lot easier time and much less discomfort when I had my strings lowered. Just a thought. Took me a couple weeks to get my fingers toughened, but again, that's different from person to person.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Which hand?

You might try what I did.  till I got used to everything, I used .010 electric strings.  You will find them eaiser to handel. the set up is always important also. you will divlope the softer touch also.after you  are fluent, bump up to some light gauge acustic strings and so on. (when changing string gauges, set up will change a bit)

keep at it!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

It's normal for fingers to hurt.  It's normal for fingers to tingle.  It'll stop.  Eventually. 

Death grip bad.  Justinguitar.com good. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I am 48 and just getting back to playing after being away for over 25 years. I remember the loss of feeling and the tinggling. If i recall it seems to fade away after a few month. Dont worry your finertips will let u into the club of those that play. I am sorry to say that picking up the guitar was not like riding a bike, it didn't just come back. Sure I am older , the brain not as sharp as it was, and the fingers dont move like they should but who cares, I am having fun learning again. YOU CAN TEACH OLD DOGS BOTH OLD & NEW TRICKS. Jusg keep on playing. Sorry i ever quit in the past.

Welcome to Chordie Bill and Jimmer. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

We're all sorry we didn't stick with it through the years with large gaps in between.  That is why I am not better than I am.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

thanks guys for all the welcoming comments......its good to be here