Topic: Long journey back

It appears as if my journey back to playing is close to the end. I had my final surgery on Wednesday to repair my shoulder. Torn rotator cuff, torn bicep tendon and bone spurs.  It's been frustrating to have a new guitar and not being able to play due to the pain. I still don't know if I'll be able to play right handed with any degree of proficiency but I'm ready to start teaching myself how to play lefty. The pain from the surgery is minimal compared to what I've been experiencing for the last 6-7 months and I've already started rehab. I want to express my gratitude to all the Chordie members who have been so supportive and have put up with my sometimes whiny posts.  You guys are really some of the best people I've ever had the pleasure to be involved with and although we have never met in person I feel as if we've been friends for a long time. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll regain enough range of motion in my arm to start practicing in earnest and I can go through the joys of sore fingers and clunking chords. As for playing right handed, as far as I'm concerned that is not a dead topic. I have too many right handed guitars to not make use of them in some manner even if it's playing slide or using some alternative tunings. So here we go coming into the home stretch and as Jerry Garcia said "What a long strange trip it's been" Thanks again everyone.    Butch

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Re: Long journey back

Good luck Butch.  I've had that same shoulder surgery and if it's like me, the pain and recovery of the surgery is completely worth it compared to limited use and constant pain beforehand.  I'm hoping that you'll be able to get things working enough to play the way you already know how, but I greatly admire your positive attitude.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I agree with Zurf and I admire your determination. Like you said Music friends are great esp. "CHORDIE" friends. Al

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

The best of luck to you Butch.  I hope youir back to playing soon.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Good Luck to you. Hope you get better really fast

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Butch , Best of luck. I love your determination. This is a whole new chapter in your life. I know you will excide at any thing you try.
I totally agree about the great people in the Chordie Family. Glad your one of them.

Joe

I wish you the best Butch, your determination is amazing.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Hope you continue to get better!!!  How do you tear your rotator cuff? That sounds painful.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and I am sure you have the determination to overcome the difficulytes you will face getting back to playing.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

How come you change your avatar, Roger? Is that Garfield??!!

To answer your question MB I slipped while installing a steel roof and when I reached out I grabbed the steel cutting the tendon in my left index finger,took a large chunk out of my middle finger and did the damage to my shoulder all at the same time. All this happened last September. Being unable to play for this long has been a drag,but , I'm hoping to be able to play well enough by July to play at my wife's family reunion.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

If you do decide to go at it lefty it might be a touch easier since you already know what to do. the trick is going to be unlearning what each hand has become accustomed to. That would be kinda cool to be able to play righty on the slide and lefty on guitar. Whatever you decide, stick with your positive attitude and you'll work it out.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Can,t keep a determaned guy like you down butch,I am sure you will be back asap. did you evey talk too southpaw,I think he was the one who had too change from right too left for a medical reason,he may be able too give you some advice.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Wow, bswyers, your accident was awful. How wonderful it will be get that guitar on your lap again--even if you have to relearn a lot, every note will be precious.  But I don't want to diminish what you've lost and had to endure. Life pulls at you, and sometimes it pulls too hard.

Good to hear Butch!  Like many have said, your determination is an inspiration!  I'm happy to hear that soon you'll have a guitar in your hands again.  No matter how you play it, just having it there will be like heaven... perhaps a bit of hell too.  Keep at it my friend.  Can't wait to hear how things continue for you, on the positive end of it!  Don't worry a hair about the whining, we all deserve a little wine now and then!  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.