Topic: Mexican Martin

I was at guitar center yesterday looking in the acoustic room. There was a section of guitars under 500.00. There was a martin (not used) in there. I looked at the inside label and it said made in mexico. Has anyone had any experience with these. I keep telling myself if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: Mexican Martin

I never hard of any martin being made in mexico,maybe they are starting to go with a cheaper lower end model too sell more guitars in a bad ecomomy.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

3 (edited by bensonp 2012-04-02 17:20:54)

As far as I know, the Martin DXM series are made in Mexico.  Because they are the low end Martin and aren't solid wood, they were moved to Mexico in 1994 for production to save costs.  This does not mean they are an inferior guitar.  They actually sound quite good.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaFfyHPK … eQiFlb_as=

I did not rewatch this video but if I remember correctly this will explain the Martins made in Mexico.

southrnrockr wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaFfyHPK … eQiFlb_as=

I did not rewatch this video but if I remember correctly this will explain the Martins made in Mexico.

Pretty interesting thanks for sharing that with us.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yes, the "X" series are made in Mexico, as are the DRS1/DRS2 and ALL Martin Strings. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I didn't watch the video - but I went to Martin in PA last year.  It's my understanding all the guitars made in Mexico are made from HPL - high pressure laminate.  From everything I've read, Martin's HPL is better than your average laminate top.  The guy at the shop where I bought my solid top Martin said that he really likes the HPL, thinks they sound great, and agrees that the HPL is better than your average laminate.  I think the price absolutely makes it worth looking into for a quality guitar, but my personal opinion is that... if I want a Martin, I want one from PA where I saw the folks putting love into each and every one by hand.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

8 (edited by naolslager 2012-04-03 13:53:43)

MKM et. al.,
I've owned a few LXMs which are the Little Martin travel guitars. They are ALL HPL with a Stratabond neck. They sound surprisingly good for what they are.

Martin's recently re-introduced "road series" which is the DRS1 and DRS2 are both made in Mexico. The former is an all-solid sapele body with the Stratabond neck and the latter is a Spruce top variant. I've played 2-3 of the DRS1 and came dangerously close to buying one but in the end I decided IF I was going to the mahogany Martin route it would be a 15 series. However I played the D15M side-by-side and couldn't detect a sound difference.

I'm pretty sure the Mexican Martins are lovingly produced just not in the USA. But buying an imported guitar from a historic American producer can be a mind-bender.

Another case in point is a Canadian buying a 5 series (or higher) Larrivee guitar...made in California!

I'm still very much a noob, and have just upgraded from my first guitar, which was/is a new Martin 000X1.  Bought from Guitar Center a couple years ago.  I chose the X1 because it sounded much better and was more comfortable to play than the other entry level guitars in the $450-$500 price point.  I borrowed my brother's 1973 Martin D18, and I still thought my X1 sounded better.  I played both instruments to my girl friend with her back turned, so she couldn't tell which instrument I was playing, and she said the X1 sounded better.

I've since upgraded to another Martin, which I suspect will be the last guitar I'll ever buy, and I plan on selling my X1.  I really love that X1 and think it is an excellent instrument for the price.  That's just my humble, nooby opinion though.