Topic: Guitars: cheap with upgrades

A question, that a lot of people ask: I like to use something to compare.
It is not possible to make from a donkey a racehorse: that is a fact (I had the pleasure to see a so called ZONKEY: father DONKEY, mother ZEBRA).
Like a LOOOT of people do: they buy a car for 2000$ and that car is entering a store for EXTRA TUNING, motor is more powerful, special tyres, other color... I just mention this because, and PERSONNALY I really think that it will cost you a lot of money, even going to a person who CAN construct guitars.
I buy let's say an EPIPHONE LP STANDARD, compared to his brother, cheap. BUT, than you want in fact playing the BIG guy, you surf and yes: you will find, especially on eBay, a Gibson Neck.: change necks. You are still left with your epiphone but with GIBSON NECK. You surf again, because there is nothing left  to be  in a hurry, because you OWN already an epiphone with gibson neck, but you want an upgrade again, so you look again on eBay, and yes, they sell gibson pick-ups for a reasonable price, take your creditcard, pay the seller, and start changing the humbuckers, replacing the epi's by gibsons.
At the end of all your work, you have a huitar who looks exactly like a Gibson. BUT WILL THE SOUND BE, and to see how the sound is, I always use my ACOUSTIC AMP, because of the range, and the sound, a good guitar will give you a crystal clear sound, NO EFFECTS USED, JUST PURE, LIKE YOU PLAY AN ACOUSTIC.
I just wanted to know, if you bring that guitar to a store (she will be still cheaper than the original LES PAUL STANDARD) if someone will hear the difference. I know that you can answer to purchase a Gibson LP Studio. THE ONLY THING I DON'T LIKE ON A GIBSON, compared with a Paul Reed Smith, is the fact that a GIBSON, correctly tuned, starts already to be "detuned" after 2 songs. PRS is still in tune after 1 year.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by cytania 2007-05-10 14:39:57)

Re: Guitars: cheap with upgrades

First off Phil what upgraders are doing is just another form of Guitar Aquisition Syndrome (GAS) but broken down into stages. We all like buying new guitars and somehow convince ourselves that a better instrument will make for better playing. We know there's no shortcut to great playing tone but we entertain our acquisitive urge anyway.

Second, you ask about sound. Now when the great players started they no doubt wanted to sound like Cark Perkins or Scotty Moore but eventually they found their own sound. Fans associate a sound with a player and a signature guitar like Clapton and Stratocasters, but as we know he got much of his 'woman tone' sound using Gibsons.

Guess what I'm trying to say is don't over-rationalise. People listening don't care what's on the headstock they want a compelling musical experience. My lead playing is so poor/primitive/beginnersville that I make a point of concentrating on the practise not what exact tone I am getting during it. Once I get the melody nailed then I'll have time for finesse ;-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Dear cytania
I agree 100% with you, I call it the "no money to spend" syndrome. People buy a car for 2000$, and they put more than you think, for 5000$ extra a very loud soundsystem in it. I don't point or blame people. It is more the companies you should blame. Like you told, you see CLAPTON, with his "blackie" and a lot of people are still convinced that they will "play better" just by, buying, having and playing that specific guitar, same with the LES PAUL JIMMY PAGE, is THAT INSTRUMENT worth the price? Don't forget he is endorsed by GIBSON and it is 1 commercial businness, gibson wins, and the buyer, mostly a PAGE fan, is happy. It is a difficult matter

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

Dear cytania
I agree 100% with you, I call it the "no money to spend" syndrome. People buy a car for 2000$, and they put more than you think, for 5000$ extra a very loud soundsystem in it. I don't point or blame people. It is more the companies you should blame. Like you told, you see CLAPTON, with his "blackie" and a lot of people are still convinced that they will "play better" just by, buying, having and playing that specific guitar, same with the LES PAUL JIMMY PAGE, is THAT INSTRUMENT worth the price? Don't forget he is endorsed by GIBSON and it is 1 commercial businness, gibson wins, and the buyer, mostly a PAGE fan, is happy. It is a difficult matter

I agree, I've been convinced that I will play better if I can get my hands on a Silverburst LP (Epiphone or Gibson).
But I know it's just not true in the end because it's experience that makes you a great guitarist, not the instrument.
The guitar helps but it's not everything.
Think about it...a great guitarist can pick up a crappy guitar and do amazing things.
Then you have me...a crappy beginner. I could pick up the most expensive guitar with the lowest action, best pickups, fastest neck, greatest wood and I WOULD STILL SUCK!!!

I just don't have the experience, knowledge or know-how to make good music on ANYTHING yet.
I'm perfectly fine with that cause I still have great fun even though I suck.

It's all about experience...not the guitar.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle