1 (edited by Sonnya 2012-04-14 22:29:15)

Topic: Did the music store screw me, or did I screw myself?

I had 3 guitars all the same different makes but all cedar tops and all sounded alike.  I call the store and ask if they would be willing to make a trade, sure he said.  So, I take two guitars down and he looks at them and says he wanted to trade, asked what I wanted and how much I wanted to put down on a new guitar.  I replied I did not want to trade and then put money down, but wanted to trdae straight out.  We look around and I see this washburn guitar he has marked for 399.00, It's used not new.  Looks great and the sound is good, has a spruce top, different from my other two I want to trade.  So, we do the deal both my guitars and he throws in a case.  The guitars I traded were both nice and like new, One was a samick D9, cost me 257.00 and the other guitar was an old alveraze, 1985 like new with a hard case.  I bought for 150.00. plus this same store did a set up on it and charged me 60.00 about a month ago. 
   I get home and chech out my new guitar on the internet and you can purchase this washburn model D9K for 125.00 all day long.  Now I'm pissed but the guitar is an easy player and a nice looking guitar, should I complain to the store owner?  I feel like I need a square deal, feel ripped off... what do you think?

! Corinthians 15:1-4

Re: Did the music store screw me, or did I screw myself?

You need to go back and tell him what you know and see what he says.  On the other hand, what is important is, you like the guitar and the sound.  I'm not sure beyond that, whether you got ripped off or not since I am not familiar with those guitars.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

3 (edited by dino48 2012-04-14 22:50:19)

I do not think you got a good deal at all,I would complain,but thats only my opinion. You might print out the price on the guitar they traded you for,I am a little familier with the alverez and they make a pretty good guitar. In the future you might ask some of the members here first,you can also sell your stuff here.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Looks like dollar for dollar you came out close to even. All involved were used. But I would ask him about it and see what he says.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

It`s awful to say but if you spent a few minutes doing some research, you could have saved yourself a lot of pain after. All said and done.You &^&*$@ yourself on that.A deal is a deal. I feel bad for you but the guy is probably laughing all the way to the bank. Think of it as a learning experience. I have been in the same situation only i was taken on the condition. Now I use that knowledge when I make future purchases.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I agree with Joey.  A deal is a deal. 

You went into it without full information.  A case can cost $90 or $100 for a hard case and the guitar for $150 you say.  You traded two guitars that you know how much you had into them, but didn't know what they could bring.  You went down without knowing what the stock was at the store and which guitar you'd prefer to have.  A little time and research before hand may not have netted you a better deal, but it may have as well.  You'll know next time to have all your ducks in a row before initiating the transaction. 

As it is, I think you got the short end of the deal but maybe not screwed.  For any deal there's a range that's defined by the most a buyer will pay and the least a seller will take.  In a horsetrade like you did, it's hard to tell who is the seller and who is the buyer, but the principle is the same.  You had to have been somewhere in that range because you did a deal.  However, if you been better informed, you may have been able to make a deal that would leave you better satisfied at the end of it. 

Live and learn. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I agree with Joey and Zurf, nothing can be done now. (BTW, don't think you're the first to do something like this.) But, I will also say, my guitar shop would never even slightly slight me. I mean, I'd trust them to give me a deal, and I know they would. Sad that some people get a thrill out of cheating.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Keep one thing in mind.A store like Guitar Center or any pawn shops probably wouldn`t have given you the 125.00 for both pieces in trade or sold outright.I once brought an older Fender acoustic with the 6 inline headstock to trade on another used piece.They offered me 40.00 in trade.I politely declined and told them I would give it away before I took that little.  And I gave it away that next week.WHY: I go to guitar center a lot for myself and my daughter. It would really have bothered me to see my guitar in the acoustic room being sold for a lot more than I was paid for it. Watch how much your old pieces are being sold for and see what I mean.The store does have to resell them at a profit.That is why to go in armed with knowledge.And it has happened to me also.With the economy the way it is,it is more of a buyers market.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

9 (edited by beamer 2012-04-19 20:58:50)

In a similar case, I was in one of my trusted guitar shops,  I was in there when an old guy brought in a banjo and two other nice flat tops.  He just wanted to sell them outright.  I know how much was paid for each.  Two weeks later I went in to get the banjo for my wife. (still waiting for her to try and learn it! but thats another story LOLOL)
It was marked up about 125% of what was given for it.  I asked John to come down on the price, hell they even charged me for the case it came in.  It was still a fair price ,,but I did mention to John I thought it was pretty unfair to charg me extra for the case.

In the end, it was still a good deal, paid about the average price, my wife is happy and I supported the small guy.  Its a rough racket to be in and have to compete with the internet and Mega stores.  The small guys win because ppl get to know their staff and the staff earns trust on a personal level.

An yea as above. a deal is a deal. for better or worse.

( Dont ever buy a vehicle/trailer with-out a title either,,, WAY more PITA than its worth.   even if its a free trailer.)

Cheers!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

That is why I will try to buy from Union Music in Worcester before guitar center.They know me by name and always treat me fair.I just bought a Dorado 12 string there with the hard case for 150.00.  Guitar Center is like Wal Mart. I try not to go if I don`t have to but sometimes there is no choice but to go to Wal Mart (guitar center). Oh scott, I once bought a 65 mercury convertible with no title in Maine. It was a nightmare. I was lucky enough to have a friend in New Hampshire that registered it in his name so he could sell it to me on paper.You are so right.

Enjoy Every Sandwich