Topic: GAS subsided - NGD for 'Nom

I'm a big fan of Martin guitars (see my Avatar).

However.

I was in GC a few months back and a friend who is a fan of Taylor put an 814ce in my hands.  With a twinkle in his eye, he said:  "Try this."

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/814ce

Ho-lee crap.

I tried to resist.  Honestly.  I tried to resist.  But GAS had been building ever since.  Finally the safety relief valve lifted and today I bought the darn thing.

I love it.  Bonus:  My wife loves it also.

I'll always love my D35 because my wife got it for me, but lord help me the Taylor is SO much easier to play.  You don't have to have a freakin' vise for a fretting hand in order to make barre chords and the tone is just magical.

Plus, since I can plug it in, I can actually "hear" myself play for the first time.  That's pretty cool, because I realize I'm making mistakes I didn't know I was making and now I can fix them.

Forgive me Christian Frederick IV.  I've ventured to the dark side.  And I'm happy.

So, some advice:  If you have a guitar on your wish list, make it happen.  Now.  Life is not a dress rehearsal.

New guitars are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: GAS subsided - NGD for 'Nom

Congratulations! It's all music. Play on.
dj

Yay Nom!!!!! You're not on the dark side, just another side. Doesn't really matter, you have a new guit that you love and are happy. That's what counts.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Always glad to see a NGD. Enjoy.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

There's no 'sides.'  I like Martins and Taylors both, as well as Guild and Breedlove and Seagull and The Loar and .... 

Nothing else sounds like a Martin, and nothing else plays like a Taylor.  Happy NGD. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Congrats on your new Taylor..  I understand what you mean about the Martin...  love my HD28 but after a few hours of playing at a gig..  or if I have a couple of gigs in a row..  it really wears on my fingers..  I've been playing for many years, have great callouses but still they are sore..  one of my bandmates sings the praises of Taylors..  I'll have to give it a whirl..  they are gorgeous guitars..  enjoy!

Good for you.  I have considered Taylors, although have not played but only one.  Now you got me thinking.  They are both great guitars.  I have always liked my Martins because of the deep bass tone, but I would be willing to buy the right Taylkor for its lighter tones.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Congrats on your Taylor. I have two Taylors and two Martins and I love all of them. I have a friend who is strictly a Martin guy and that's fine. But you have to seriously admit Taylor makes
guitars equal to Martin. It's all about what you like, your paying for it buy what you like.

Joe

Thats a good looking guitar happy ngd, did you pay full retail price?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Happy NGD!! Pics please!!!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Zurf wrote:

I like Martins and Taylors both, as well as Guild and Breedlove and Seagull and The Loar and ....

You got something against Gibson?  smile  j/k

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

dino48 wrote:

did you pay full retail price?

I paid full retail GC price, which was subtanially less than what is listed as the suggested retail on Taylor's website.

Astronomikal wrote:
Zurf wrote:

I like Martins and Taylors both, as well as Guild and Breedlove and Seagull and The Loar and ....

You got something against Gibson?  smile  j/k

They're one of the dots.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

There's no 'sides.'  I like Martins and Taylors both, as well as Guild and Breedlove and Seagull and The Loar and .... 

Nothing else sounds like a Martin, and nothing else plays like a Taylor.  Happy NGD. 

- Zurf

Love the quote. Nailed it right on the head!!!!!  I love Martins deep sound and Taylors(and Breedloves) play like melted butter.

Congrats!!!!  There was a Taylor that I seriously considered when I bought my Martin.  Had I not already been in love, I might have chosen it.  Both great guitar makers for sure.  Enjoy!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.