Topic: Hey sorry to ask stupid but I'm new:)

Hi I know it probably is very stupid to ask but can anyone tell me what it means when stands like this?:
what does the 2,0 and 1 stand for??

|--------------------------------|
|-0-----0-----0-----0-----1------|
|---2-----2-----2-----2-----2----|
|-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2--|
|-0------------------------------|
|--------------------------------|

Re: Hey sorry to ask stupid but I'm new:)

Hello Larson,

The only question that is stupid is the one that is not asked. To ask is to find out, not to ask is to remain in ignorance. There, that is my philosophy for the day.

I assume you know that the six lines are your 6 strings. The numbers then indicate which fret you play that string on. 0 = open, 2= 2nd fret.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Each line represents a string and the number represents the fret
If your a beginner can look a bit strange i know ok

4 (edited by alvee33 2007-05-13 19:06:00)

It's also worth noting that as you read it from left to right these are not chords but individually picked notes. As you move from left to right you notice that each number is slightly after another. Place a bit of paper over it and move it left to right and you'll see what I mean. This gives you the order in which to play each note.

I hope that's easier to understand than it was to type.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hi larsen the example you show is a pich followed by a reverse 3 finger arpeggio. An arpeggio is any repeated sweep of notes. Your thumb strikes the A string and your ring finger strikes the B string, then the middle finger strikes G and the index finger strikes the D string, then repeat without the thumb.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Dude!!!!!!!!!
DON'T EVER feel like you have a stupid question. Nobody knew anything until they found out. I run these guys nuts with questions. It is a privilage to impart knowlege to other musicians.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

7 (edited by jessica<3 2007-05-15 22:24:41)

you should never feel stupid about anything!! I'm new too, i actually just started playing 2 days ago. I had no clue what that meant either!!!  I think We'll get the hang of it. I still have plenty of questions!!!!! Im' just glad every one on here has been so nice about everything so far. big_smile

...........P.s. please nobody ever email me...it's my mom's...i don't have my own......;)

it takes one to know one. roll

jessica<3

HI everybody... Thanks for all your answars it's great. and thanks for understandig ;-) I'm sure we'll get the hang of it sometime Jessica<3 ;-)

I'll just sit down with my guitar and try it right now:-D and again Thanks to all of you

Larsen