Topic: Dumb

I have a gig next week and I thought it would be a cool idea to mount my Alesis drum machine to a stand so.....I drilled a hole in the bottom to mount it YES I DID and destroyed the motherboard so its junk dumb dumb dumb its gonna cost me $150 to replace thats more then I make for the gig,oh well no one is imune to stupididty.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Dumb

Well it seemed a good idea at the time.... sad
Sorry to hear that Russ I guess they just don't make motherboards that work with half inch holes drilled in them any more.
You'll have to up the price for the gig..
ark

Don't feel bad.  I've seen US Marines drill holes all the way through computers so they could bolt them to the desk to make the ship ready for heavy seas.

Happens to the best of us!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Russell_Harding wrote:

I have a gig next week and I thought it would be a cool idea to mount my Alesis drum machine to a stand so.....I drilled a hole in the bottom to mount it YES I DID and destroyed the motherboard so its junk dumb dumb dumb its gonna cost me $150 to replace thats more then I make for the gig,oh well no one is imune to stupididty.

Ouch!!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

jerome.oneil wrote:

Don't feel bad.  I've seen US Marines drill holes all the way through computers so they could bolt them to the desk to make the ship ready for heavy seas.

That is because they did not call the Navy metal smith to do it for them!  We used metal bands across them in a sorta U shape. LOLOLOLand mount them to the desk.  They must not have been Airdale marines. cause they train the same place we did.  lol

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Russell_Harding wrote:

Russ, Next time dont forget "Hook and Loop tape is your friend" make a metal shelf, cover it with the magic material, Wa'La!  YOu can turn it upside down and it aint going anywhere. (unless the glue on the tape fails yikes  )

Sorry couldnt help the jab, smile  Sucks when something like that happens. In the words of The red neck comedy guys..."Didjas learn sumpen?"

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

That is because they did not call the Navy metal smith to do it for them!  We used metal bands across them in a sorta U shape. LOLOLOLand mount them to the desk.  They must not have been Airdale marines. cause they train the same place we did.  lol

I think the Marines sometimes take there frustrions out on machines if you keep them out of battle zones for two long.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

8 (edited by Russell_Harding 2012-06-14 22:24:42)

hindsite is 20 20 I did take a look at the motherboard I was able to separate it from the case if I had done that first I could have drilled to my hearts delite then reset the motherboard,groan sad

You are not the first and will not be the last,I have messed up alot of things before.

Is it not possible to repair the board?

Unless it has micro components that have been damaged or you have drilled through the middle of an i.c., it could be possible to solder fine link wires across the circuits that have been broken. Certainly worth looking to see.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Duct Tape fixes everything... I'm not so sure about motherboards however.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Time to brush up on your soldering...lol.
Common mistake.
Sometimes it's best to just take things apart.

=p
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Russell, What a bummer. I use velcro to attach many of the gadgets I need . Works well for me.
I give you an A Plus for admitting what you did . Most of us would have wanted to keep that hidden. Good Luck.

Joe

Roger I am trying that option I spent the whole day and got some partial results I think if I can purchase a new board I will let someone with expertese transfer all the components I contacted Alesis to see if I can buy one still waiting on a reply,the phone number is listed so today I will give there tech support a call all is not lost yet smile

Roger Guppy wrote:

Is it not possible to repair the board?

Unless it has micro components that have been damaged or you have drilled through the middle of an i.c., it could be possible to solder fine link wires across the circuits that have been broken. Certainly worth looking to see.

Roger

so you found the motherboard? what about oil???

Russ, i recently bought an Alesis Performance Pad, nice sounds, eh? goes well with my Alesis 8 channel mixer. i like Alesis, but i try not to break them.....:D

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

dino48 wrote:
beamer wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

I think the Marines sometimes take there frustrions out on machines if you keep them out of battle zones for two long.

If you put two Marines in a room with a rock, the rock will end up broken or missing.  Neither will have seen anything.

True fact!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I was able to locate another rhythm machine a friend who is a drummer loaned me his Boss DR-3 for my upcomming gig on Sat. so I prerecorded drum and bass parts for 6 songs.Most of the people attending like country and seafaring songs (its a divers club) I selected Ring of fire,Fire on the mountain and wreak of the Edmond Fitzgearald amoung a few as these were requested in advance,my bass is mounted on an old mic stand and I used a camera tripod to mount the DR-3(taped not drilled lol ) I will run this thru a 150 watt 4 input Sonic pa with two speakers this should be enough.I have been rehearsing for the last two weeks everyday so things will go smooth lots of good food and drink and I will make a few dollars so it should be a fun time,I did recieve a email regarding a replacement motherboard for my Alesis SR-16 from a warehouse hopefully it wont cost an arm and a leg. smile

Hi russell,glad to hear it all came out ok.

Thanks dino let you all know how it turns out smile

dino48 wrote:

Hi russell,glad to hear it all came out ok.

good luck for the gig, you could always put your hat on the floor in front of you maybe you'd make a couple of extra bucks? (it's a big hat)
seriously though, i'd love to see the gig. are you filming it, perchance? then putting it up on the web?

phill

Phill I have played for this group several years and they put a jar out and fill it so I dont have to beg lol they do video tape each get together and send me a copy I'll see what I can do about getting some footage uploaded hope all is well with you and yours smile

Phill Williams wrote:

good luck for the gig, you could always put your hat on the floor in front of you maybe you'd make a couple of extra bucks? (it's a big hat)
seriously though, i'd love to see the gig. are you filming it, perchance? then putting it up on the web?

phill

hey russ. yep all a-ok here, got a nice tan as we came back from tenerife 2 weeks ago (i was glad to see some rain!) are you coping  alright? i'm really Peed off with my PC, seems nothing works with the G-D-thing! any way `nuff bout me, how'd the gig go? and where's the vid? i'm gigging every weekend but nobody bothers to video me...boo hoo!

talk soon bro...:cool:

The gig aint till tomorrow so I will do a full run through today of all the songs several times and pack up the equipment tonight so I can load it in the morning,I did mangage to memorize the lyrics and chords to "Sultans of Swing" I can play it but I will need a little time to memorize the fills and lead work that boy can play!! I love Dire Straits music so easy flowing and it cooks.take care Phill let ya know how the gig go's after tomorrow smile

I played "Sultans of Swing" many years ago when it first came out. If you are going to sing and play rhythm, you need a lead player to cover all those riffs and solos. I was lucky to have Anthony Novak on lead guitar to make the arrangement sound complete. It would take a monster player to do all that alone.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I use a Boss RC-20XL loop station to lay the rhythm and bass so it only comes down to singing the lyrics and playing the fills and leads this song is kind of like a project so much going on,not to mention getting the right tone its a work in progress meanwhile I am working on a lively original reel kind of Greenday song got the progression waiting for all the right lyrics to come out of my head so chess is taking a backseat between my gigs and students smile

tubatooter1940 wrote:

I played "Sultans of Swing" many years ago when it first came out. If you are going to sing and play rhythm, you need a lead player to cover all those riffs and solos. I was lucky to have Anthony Novak on lead guitar to make the arrangement sound complete. It would take a monster player to do all that alone.
toots