Topic: Skype virtual campfire jam Thursday, 8/2?

I've been missing my Skype jam buddies.

Anybody else interested? I can start hosting at about 6:00 eastern (which is when I get home from work). I will be rudely making and eating dinner on camera though (as usual).

Zurf has expressed interest - Amy, Wayne, Astro?

If Friday is better, I'm up for that too - I have no real life.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Skype virtual campfire jam Thursday, 8/2?

Yeah.  I could use some buddies.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Yeah I miss the get together and Thursday is good for me.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I may join a little bit after 6:00 Eastern.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I don't get off work until after 6 eastern (5 central), and may have to go to Houston afterward.  I will join if  I can.  Looking forward to it.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

I`ll check in when I can but Pacific time ...  yàll are likely to be long gone.  No worries, if it works it works. 
We are also looking at company so don`t be waiting for me.   
Play on!
Jim

Sounds like a great idea........what's the story with it? I've not been on here in too long so have probably missed the explanation or previous discussions....

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Hi Mark,

You need to be on Skype and then we get together in a conference video call and sing and play to each other. Unfortunately because there is a time lag it has to be on an individual basis and not a 'all join in jam'. However if you mute your microphone you can then play along with someone else.

The only drawback is that 18:00 Eastern is 23:00 with us, but is certainly is great fun and worth stopping up for.

Roger

Sorry Jeff,

I don't get home until 8-9-12. One more week of work sad

Later, Wayne P

I was actually thinking of you guys and our good times yesterday.  I had a little issue with Skype and their billing and my premium membershipis currently cancelled.  The issue was on their end, not mine.  I'm not sure if I want to trust them and try it again.  BUT since Jeff has an account, we're good!  YAY! 

However, I was thinking of heading out to check out a local open mic tonight.  Now I'm faced with a decision.  hmmmmm...   I'll see what's going on.  I've been meaning to check out this open mic for MONTHS now.  I think I may still go and if it's a bust I'll see you guys tonight.  If not, then you'll see my stories tomrrow!  smile

So, if I don't make it, have FUN and Jeff will have to play the 4 Non-Blondes song for me!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I like the new name of "virtual campfire". 

The place I've been meaning to check out for an open mic on Friday nights has closed down.  Jet60 has a place that holds open mics on Tuesdays.  That's where Normtheguitar played when he came to visit.  It is a very welcoming and friendly event, but Tuesday night - rough.  Especially considering that I'd likely require a chemical relaxation aid in beverage form after an initial public performance, and then work in the morning.  Ugh. 

- Zurf

I'm going tio try to join with you guys, but I have a lot of stuff going on today.  Hopefully I can show up for awhile to see whats new.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Sounds really cool. Gutted I can't join in but maybe at some point the stars will align and times etc will suit......damned curved earth!!

Have fun guys, sure it'll be a blast!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

I won't be able to leave the office until 5:00, then I have to walk to the subway and take it to a bus that goes to a parking lot where I pick up my truck to drive home.  The drive home will be brutal because President Obama is speaking at a high school about 1/2 mile from my house and on one of only two roads into my neighborhood.  I hope to make it home by 7:00 or 7:30.  Then I will need to boot my computer, crack open a bottle of dinner, and tune up. 

- Zurf

Did the virtual capfire happen on Thursday, 8/2?

I checked in a few times throughout the evening but didn't see anyone online on Skype.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

It happened.  Roger, Jeff and myself strted out, then I had to leave about 45 minutes into it and left only two.  It was midnite for Roger, so he probably left soon after me and maybe Jeff (topdown) got bored playing by himself and gave up early also.  Just a guess.  We played abot three songs apiece before I left.  It was fun as it always is.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I got home about 7:30 and played one song with Roger and Jeff on.  Then I was called to dinner.  It seems my wife was supporting me by ignoring my request not to hold dinner because I wanted to spend some time with you folks.  Roger was in good tone last night.  I don't recall the song he was singing, but it sounded great.  I played one song.  I've been working on Tom Petty's "Yer So Bad".  Roger decided to go to bed.  Then Jeff said "Tony's got an open mic a mile away from here.  Bye."  My singing has that effect on people, making them want to be somewhere else.   :-)

- Zurf

Topdown should get a MiFi so that he can take his computer along to an open mic and Skype the whole thing...

Now that is a neat idea.  The travelling open mic show.  Sounds like a good future project.

Well, for my new job I'm going to have about two to three hours of commuter per day (that I don't work from home that is).  The commute is by public transportation, so I plan to purchase a tablet computer to allow me to be productive during the commute and shortening the amount of time I have to be away from home.   I will add to the list of "wants" for features of a tablet computer a camera and input for a mic. 

How much fun would it be to have a genuine campfire and virtual campfire combined?

Tha ould bring us into the next century for sure.  That would be cool.

Zurf, I was  singing one of the very few Shadows vocal numbers but probably know better as a Gary Benson song - "Don't Throw It All Away".

Earlier with Jeff and Pete I did "Value Her" an original by Phill Williams and I: "Meet Me On the Corner" - Lindisfarne and the C.C.R. number, "Have You ever Seen the Rain".

Roger

P.S.  Zurf, it was gone midnight and I desperately need my beauty sleep (don't forget that I have to look at my face in the mirror each morning) it was certainly not your singing that sent me away.

Well, Jim and I had some yummy wings... but the guy hosting the open mic didn't show up until well after 8:30 (we were told he'd start at 8:30).  Then he LEFT!  We waited around a while longer.  When he got back he seemed to be baked.  After a while we finally asked him when he was starting, or going to set up.  He said he usually doesn't start until around 10PM!  It was 9:30 at that point.  10pm on a Thursday night, when Jim has to be up at 4AM doesn't work so well.  I'm guessing there's not a whole lot to the open mic at this location, but more just a guy playing and singing.  So, it was a bust.  sad  I should have joined you guys instead.  Live and learn.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

You are forgiven my child. The weight of the world was upon your shoulders that night and you blew it.  smile

Well you checked it out, and that's a start.  Starting at 10PM on a weekday is the sort of thing that only sounds sensible to a bar musician. 

- Zurf