1 (edited by januarysubaru 2012-11-15 00:56:55)

Topic: Storm Large "Angels in Gas Stations"

I have the lyrics, but I need the chords.  If you can help me out, I'd be incredibly grateful!  It's an amazing song and I can't get it out of my mind.  And, I'm so excited to have the Chordie resources available to help me with this.  No doubt, one of you amazing talents can nail this for me!  Thanks so much for your help!  Oh, by the way, I'm not looking to buy something to achieve this, so pls don't offer solutions that I can't afford.

http://stormlarge.com/music/

Re: Storm Large "Angels in Gas Stations"

Here's a link to the song on youtube if any talented transposers can sus out the chords for the new member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EW_EbGUzxU

Awesome tune januarysubaru - welcome to the forums!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

hi newguy,welcome here,go too www.chordpickout.com,they have an ad here at chordie.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Dino, buddy, you recommend chordpickout so often one would think you have stock in it.  If so, that's fine, it's just an observation.  It sounds really cool, but it's 40 bucks.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

januarysubaru wrote:

No doubt, one of you amazing talents can nail this for me!/

Thanks to Jeff for the link.

I don't consider myself to be an "amazing talent", but having said that, if you can find a video where she is not obscuring the guitar player's left hand, I might be able to help you.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Thank you, Astro, for your response.  If I could see his hands, I could figure this out.  I can see several bar chords, which as a 12-string player with small hands, I can't do.  But, I do think I see a C in there.  I really, really appreciate your taking time to reply.  My 12-string, by the way, is a Martin.

Okay, here's a live performance.  I need someone capable of transcribing the chords.  Please!  Give me some peace with this song that will not leave my brain!  I absolutely believe that you're out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5abM1rmSCFE

Wow, that's pretty.  It's clearly played with a piano, but I could hear it on guitar... wish I could help you out with some chords.  We do have some talent in there that will step up.  Have patience and faith.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

januarysubaru wrote:

Please!  Give me some peace with this song that will not leave my brain!

I don't know how much peace this will give you, but I think I've worked out the intro.  Try this (one measure per chord):

Gm
F/?
F
C
Bb
Dm
C
C

They run through this 8 measure progression twice before she starts singing.

Regarding F/?, it's an F chord, but the bass is something other than the low F (low E first fret).  I can't tell which string/fret the bass player is playing.  (It might be the F on the D string 3rd fret.)  If you're playing solo guitar, just play two measures of F back to back and it will sound OK.

Anyway, that's the intro as I hear it.  Others can see if their ears match up.

I don't have time right now to work out the verses, but they are likely to be combinations of the intro chords.

Anyway, good luck.

Astro, my poor old arthritic left hand won't let me do a decent Gm.  If I start with Dm, go to F then C, it seems pretty close to what I'm singing.  But, I'm not sure how to shift all the chords to that key.  Help...?

If you want to play along with the recording (in the same key), do this:

1.  Use a digital tuner to tune all of your strings down two half steps:  DGCFAd

2.  Play this (no barres!):

Am
G
G
D
C
Em
D
D

Or, just play the above with standard tuning and use a capo (if needed) to find the right key to suit your voice.  But you won't be able to play along with the record using those chords unless you capo on fret 10, which will (1) sound ... not good, and (2) be almost impossible unless your hands are tiny.

This is the easiest fingering I could come up with.  I hope it helps.

I'll give that a try!  Thanks for your awesome assists!