Topic: Instruments 4 Life

I've found this awesome charitable organization in my area called Instruments 4 Life https://www.facebook.com/instruments4life . Their mission is "To promote positive social and educational outlets for youth through creative and artistic stimulation.". Actually a coworker of mine and his roommate founded the organization.  They spend time a lot of time at a foster home teaching kids how to play guitar.

Many of you know my history in losing a child to cancer - I've spent more hours in hospitals than I care to think about. Instruments 4 Life recently began offering their time to a local Children's Cancer Center and I knew I had to help. I offered my time a few months ago and they finally took me up on it. (He didn't know I "played" the guitar)

So tomorrow is my first gig. I told them I'm no guitar player, but I love kids and know that a positive attitude is essential to the healing process. I am very much looking forward to spending a few hours with them tomorrow maybe teaching a kid a chord or 2 and hopefully putting a smile on a few faces.

Check out and "like" their facebook page if you want. Anybody have any old guitars lying around, I am sure they could use the donation!

I'll let you know how it goes after I get back!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Instruments 4 Life

topdown wrote:

Many of you know my history in losing a child to cancer - I've spent more hours in hospitals than I care to think about.

I did not know that.  I'm so sorry for your loss.

topdown wrote:

I knew I had to help. I offered my time a few months ago and they finally took me up on it.  So tomorrow is my first gig. I told them I'm no guitar player, but I love kids and know that a positive attitude is essential to the healing process. I am very much looking forward to spending a few hours with them tomorrow maybe teaching a kid a chord or 2 and hopefully putting a smile on a few faces.

I beg to differ with you.  You most certianly ARE a guitar player, and a darn good one from what I've seen and heard.

Anyway, I envy you the opportunity.  It sounds GREAT!  I can't think of a better way to use your talents than this.  (1 Peter 4:10)

Please do let us know how it goes.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

I really respect what you are doing topdown,thats going to help them alot.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

That's how to put your money where your mouth is.  Except it's not money and those are your fingertips.  That's how to put your time where your fingertips are?  I don't know.  Good for you.  Yeah, that works.  Good for you.  I'm proud of you.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

It's great feeling when you become a giver it took many sad years for me to figure that out. My hats off to you

Let no talents go unused

Sounds like a perfect fit for you Tops!! I'm sure they'll be asking you back after your first day. I''l bet that you'll get a lot out of it also.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Topdown is a rare and precious example of those stellar individuals who become a blessing to others through personal tragedy. You, sir, are an inspiration ... I salute you.

The power of music to heal cannot be overstated. We have friends whose young teenage son was heading in a troubled direction. I "lent" him my Norman last year, and he's been spending more time constructively by learning to play, and coming out of his shell a bit. We jam together from time to time, and he'll be "licking the chops" in no time ... a natural. It's miniscule to what Topdown is doing, but it never hurts to be reminded that sharing our love of music with others is always the right thing to do.

Thanks, Topdown .... go get 'em!

That's a great thing to do, Jeff, and I bet you will enjoy it just as much as the kids do! So sorry to hear about your loss...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Thats awesome Topdown, People like you are truly needed...

badeye    cool

one caper after another

Thanks for the kind words folks - Just returned and I will be going back on a regular basis. There were about 16 kids split into 2 groups. We had a small drum kit, djembes, bongos, tambourines a bunch of guitars and a set of keyboards set up. The kids ranged in age from about 6 to 15. It was very informal - kinda let them wander around and pick an instrument of their choice. The drum kit was a hit as most kids wanted to give them a try. Several picked up a guitar and I was able to do just what I had hoped - teach a few kids a couple of chords and bring them a few smiles. Wonderful to see their eyes light up and the smiles appear when they pick out then strum that chord cleanly for the first time.

Looking forward to going back next month, like norm said - I had as much fun as they did!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Nice,   warming the heart on a cold winter's day..

badeye    cool

one caper after another

Good for you topdown.  Youre a good person.  It always feels good to make a difference.  Good luck buddy.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.