Topic: Silly little things

Sometimes it's the silly little things that make a day a little brighter.  For example, Normtheguitar gave me a proper teapot with a cozy as a host gift when he visited.  This morning, I had some errands to do before work and didn't have time for as much coffee as I'd usually like.  The errands took less time than I thought, and so with a little extra time before being due at the office, I decided to supplement my caffeine intake with a pot of tea.  First, the teapot puts me in mind of a wonderful visit with a friend.  Secondly, the cozy keeps the tea warm and at just the perfect temperature.  So, even though it's looking like a busy day once the proverbial bell rings to start the work day, I'm in a really good frame of mind just because of a proper teapot with a cozy. 

Isn't that the way of things?  Some stuff is just junk no matter its cost, and other things no matter how common remind of us the thoughtfulness of friends, or the feeling of a lazy summer afternoon, or what-have-you. 

Do you have any things like that?  Let's hear about them.  They may work themselves into a country-folk song along the lines of Guy Clark's  "Stuff That Works."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCyXw2EWuA

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Silly little things

Don't know if this qualifies, but there's an elderly lady who goes to our church who makes amazing home made bread. She knows I'm crazy about it, especially when slathered with a healthy layer of peanut butter. Every so often, she'll leave a loaf on the car seat which we'll find as we're getting ready to leave. I've never seen her put it there, but it's a neat little reminder that says she cares without any words.

A good nap in the spring time when the weather's warm enough to open a window and get a little breeze. And standing in the sunshine for a quick minute in the middle of the day.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Not quite the same but similar is my pocketknife. My Dad always carried a pocketknife. I've carried one pretty much every day of my life since I was in college. To open a box or letter, to clean your fingernails, tighten a screw or pick a tooth (LOL) - I swear that little knife comes in handy several times a day.

Now - I frequently fly out of town for work = no pocket knife. As happens several times each year, I forget about the airport security and end up tossing a few knives in the airport garbage each year (happened again last week). As soon as I got to my hotel, the first thing I did was log into Amazon and ordered a couple of pocket knives so I would have one when I got back.

My pocket feels so empty without one, I can't walk straight - it takes me hours to stop walking in circles. My favorite is this little Buck Toothpick knife - Pretty sure its the same one Dad carried

http://www.great-lakes.org/graphics-2/Buck%20Knives/rev-06-16-08/4-385-Toothpick-Open.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

as a single man,I sometimes get leftover food from my friends like homemade meatloaf,mashed potatoes gravy,beans etc. I can cook ok but these foods taste so much better. They always say they think going too a fast food place is such a treat,but I could live without fast food.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Mine is my "Molly Cup" - the first Christmas present my grand daughter Molly bought me.  For the last 13 years its the only coffee mug I drink out of. 

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Being awakened by distant rolling thunder and pouring rain on a Saturday morning, just knowing that I don't have to get up and go to work.  I have always loved that feeling.

And +1 on Funster's warm home made bread (the really heavy, doughy kind) with peanut butter.  That's ambrosia as far as I'm concerned.  That and home made buttermilk biscuits smothered in black-strap molasses.

Yeah, I like to eat.  Deal with it.  smile

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

8 (edited by naolslager 2013-02-14 20:12:51)

topdown wrote:

Not quite the same but similar is my pocketknife. My Dad always carried a pocketknife. I've carried one pretty much every day of my life since I was in college. To open a box or letter, to clean your fingernails, tighten a screw or pick a tooth (LOL) - I swear that little knife comes in handy several times a day.

Now - I frequently fly out of town for work = no pocket knife. As happens several times each year, I forget about the airport security and end up tossing a few knives in the airport garbage each year (happened again last week). As soon as I got to my hotel, the first thing I did was log into Amazon and ordered a couple of pocket knives so I would have one when I got back.

My pocket feels so empty without one, I can't walk straight - it takes me hours to stop walking in circles. My favorite is this little Buck Toothpick knife - Pretty sure its the same one Dad carried

http://www.great-lakes.org/graphics-2/B … k-Open.jpg

Me too! I always have a pocket knife on me. My dad has always carried one. I used to borrow his from time to time when I was a young boy so I could whittle a stick or something. Soon thereafter he gave me his old knife and I've had several since. Currently my daily traveler is a small Swiss Army Knife.

A few years ago I gave my son one. He does not carry it. Maybe some day the tradition will continue?
dj

Topdown ... very sleek looking knife. It reminds me of the French Laguiole knife that Napoleon was supposed to have made popular. I also carry a little 3" folding lock blade, and can't imagine not having a pocket knife for lots of little everyday things.

Zguitar ... your midday nap is one of life's best things. I have a packable hammock that goes fishing with me. After lunch, it goes up near a stream for an afternoon nap ... heaven! Too bad no one makes a packable guitar that'll fit in a fly vest.

Tenement Funster wrote:

Too bad no one makes a packable guitar that'll fit in a fly vest.

You just need a big enough fly vest.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Now we're getting somewhere, Zurf ... only we don't know where we're going, so we're liable to end up somewhere else.

LOL.

It's funny how these things go together.  For my trip down to Chordiestock, I plan to take a fly rod and some flies.  I'll buy a cheap knife while I'm there and abandon it when I leave so I don't have to check any luggage.  I first looked up the rules on guitars, and Delta says that they can be carryon, though they reserve the right to gate check them.  Perfect.  Then I looked up the rules on flies, which refered me to the TSA web site.  The TSA website instructs people to pack flies in with their carry-on luggage to keep damage to a minimum.  So I'm going to load up a small box or two with some flies to use down there and fit them in my guitar case. 

- Zurf

13 (edited by whitewater55 2013-02-16 12:57:16)

Mrs. Whitewater and I go camping for the first three weeks of July, every year.
The night before, I load up the trailer, take the truck for a last minute checkup and fillup, and home for a nap.
We rise in the early hours, hit the road and grab a coffee for the highway.
That first sip of coffee, with the open road ahead is the most astoundingly good feeling I can imagine, except for
watching my fly hit the water, and see that little dimple of a rising trout.
I live for those moments.

Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

The closest thing to a packable guitar is that custom French Parlour Guitar that Ian Anderson seems to favor in recent years. As the title of this thread states, it is a "silly little thing", but seems to produce great sound for the genre he plays. Yup ... gotta get a bigger fly vest.

Whitewater - I know that feeling and love it too.  I also really love the first paddle stroke of any river trip for much the same reason.  It means that I've finally gotten to the river and am going to have an adventure.

Waking up covered in kids.  Sure sure, I complain about my bed being taken over sometimes... but really there's something pretty special about waking up with little people snuggled into me warming my sheets.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Zurf wrote:

Whitewater - I know that feeling and love it too.  I also really love the first paddle stroke of any river trip for much the same reason.  It means that I've finally gotten to the river and am going to have an adventure.

Yes, Zurf - When I used to guide canoe trips, I used to put my guests up in a hotel room for the night, drive to the put-in point just before dawn, pack up the boats and set off with the rising sun, the only sounds,  the dip of the paddles, and the sights, sounds and smells of a sunrise departure are almost a sensory overload after a night in an antiseptic hotel room That is an amazing feeling.

Zurt, do you remember your first trout caught on a fly you tied yourself? That was a wonderful moment,too!
Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"

I don't tie my own flies.  I should, because it would give me something to do when I have insomnia.  But that's the only time I have to do little fidgety things.  Normally I take that free time to do the mending and watch conspiracy shows on TV (Ancient Aliens, Finding Bigfoot, Behind the Bible, etc.).

I got real tired of the History channel - all crap now, mostly.
Email me an address to send and I will send you a small assortment in the mail. Are you mainly trout or bass? I make a wicked little crawfish fly that is killer with a sink-tip line for smallmouth.
Randy

That's very generous, and I'll take you up on it.  I fish mostly smallmouth.  Virginia's trout water is a couple hours drive to the Blue Ridge, but the Potomac borders my town and there are two tributaries that run through the town, all of which hold smallies. 

- Zurf

I will be mailing them this afternoon (or tomorrow), depending on when I can dig out the appropriate fly box. When you tie your own, you end up with many many fly boxes.
Randy

I can't thank you enough.  It is surely a kindness of you. 

- Zurf

hi zurf, just had to say that here in the UK when you say "tie my own flies" it's taken as doing up your own zipper! i realized then that you were referring to fishing flies, (another bad habit i dont have)

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Well, I do manage my own zipper most times.

I have been trying to figure wha my little "silly things" are since this post first hit.

I thnk maybe its something not so much physical, but more like the one thing my oldes and closest friends know, I do my best to be the guy who keeps in contact.  This was way b4 FB maee it so much easier.  Certain people I have always benn incomunication with since teh age of 12. talked to them at least every 2 to 3 months, unless at sea then I wrote.  If you ask my wife she would say im a  "friend collector"  Maybe that is my silly liile thing.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)