Topic: Do you ever substitute one guitar chord for another?

I have small hands and can't quite reach some chords so I use a bar chord or substitute another chord that has a simular sound.  I also cut my first finger on a table saw a few years ago and have no feeling in the nerves in it.  Do any of you substitute some chords?

Without rock and roll, there is no music.

Re: Do you ever substitute one guitar chord for another?

Sure. In the first instance you gave, that is exchanging different voicings of the same chord. That keeps things interesting for the player as well as the listener.

I also sub chords too, especially when I am purposefully changinb the style or sound of the song but most often when the original artist is a mutant with superhuman guitar abilities.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I do all the time. I also have small hands and they are always sore.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Thanks guys for the feedback.  I really appreciate it.

I do that alot!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'll drop a 7 chord pretty much any time I see an extended (9, 11, etc...) chord and I'm too lazy to go look it up.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

sometimes I just play a 3 and b7 for a dominant chord. I also like the ii-V-I thing a lot.

all the time. i gig regularly so to fill in the sound i often play; eg, Em for G. it gives a 6th sound. Bm7 over a G sounds like Gmajor 7th. experiment with your guitar, ioften hit a chord or note by accident to find a nicer sound.

i remember hearing an interview with Mike Rutherford of Genesis talking about the making of We Cant Dance CD, where he says; "as we were jamming to write the music, we never said this is D and that's an F. we didnt realize we were playing different chords until we finished the album." or words to that effect. so i guess the lesson here is: if it sounds right, it is right

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Some of my better chord progressions for my songs I have discovered though substituting an odd chord from an existing progression in a song then nicking it.
No hard and fast rules where making music is concerned if you like the sound then play it.  smile

If you are interested in more of the theory, Rob Bourassa has a couple great tutorials  search "rob bourassa chord substitutions" -- interesting stuff.
Cheers!
Jim

Always, but it's due to laziness and lack of desire to practice and force myself to learn new chords more often than not.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

All is fair in love and guitar technique.  Of course it is alright to sub a chord if it sounds good to you.  Many of us often take the short cut to make it easier. You don't have to follow the rules to be a good guitarist.  I do the same as Jerome, I use a G7 or C7 instead of a G9 or C9.  They are close enough that no one will ever ask you why you do it because they won't notice.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I substitute chords all the time! Not on purpose, I just ain't that good.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Yep, especially when I play "Substitute"!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

jgreen wrote:

If you are interested in more of the theory, Rob Bourassa has a couple great tutorials  search "rob bourassa chord substitutions" -- interesting stuff.
Cheers!
Jim

Thanks so much for the advice.  It really helps alot.

I'm not a guitar player; banjo is my game, but I have found in some songs that I substitute an Em for the C because the C just doesn't sound right.  Off hand I can only think of one that I do this on (haven't had my coffee yet!) is "Route 66".

"History is made at night...

Character is what you are in the dark."  Dr.  Emilio Lizardo