Topic: Cordiestock 2 - 2013?

So, my husband wants to know if we're all going to try to get together a little further north than Florida this summer.  Any takers?  I know Zurf was thinking about organizing something, and I'm good with that... but if not, I can try to organize.  Summer is fast approaching and we need to make plans soon if we are to take any time off (well, the hubby does anyhow).  Probably looking at late July or early August.  I know there were a few up here in the North East (and Canada) that were interested in getting together if only it were closer.  I'm thinking maybe PA won't be tooooooo far for anyone up north or down south, however, my backyard in rural Central NY also has plenty of room for FREE tent set ups, and there's some campsites near by if someone prefers that.  There's a lake just 2 miles away, and Salmon River is just a quick 30 minute drive.

Let me know what you all think - and Zurf, I'm happy to just hand this over to you if you want to make plans further south instead!  big_smile  Either way, I'll be supplying some delicious dead cow.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Cordiestock 2 - 2013?

I would like that as well Amy. I would be a tentative attendee (dependent on my work situation at the time), but I will make it if I can. There sure are lots of places between Zurf's place and yours that would fit. We might even be able to convince some of our Canadian Chordie members too attend, at least the ones from the eastern side of the country.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Could you bring it further west like California???

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

Could you bring it further west like California???

That might be tough for some of the Atlantic/east coasters, but there is nothing stopping a Cali-Chordiestock  from happening. I bet you could get a good gathering of people if you pick a good  location for all to meet.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

July and August are likely to be busy for me at work, so I will have limited time available to take off. However, with all this traveling I'm doing, I have a whole bunch of airline miles burning a hole in my wallet. If it's close enough to an airport Southwest flies, I may be able to make a 3 day weekend trip for it.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I checked my calendar.  First two weekends of July and first three in August are already scheduled.  If the get-together is on either of the last two weekends in July, I'll try real hard to make it.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I was thinking June and June is shot for me.  Kids have something scheduled every week of the month.  I could probably get away, though.  We're thinking of coming up your way (closer than Virginia anyway) in July to see my sister who lives in Elmira.  We'd probably camp somewhere around Watkins Glen.  There seem to be a lot of really neat looking state parks in that area. 

Anyway, Amy, do your thing.  I think my family has over ridden my desire to get something worked out.  For Pennsylvania, I was looking at Raystown Lake, which has several campgrounds around it maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers.  I've camped there before and though it's been a long time I think it was a pretty nice campground. 

I am hosting an event in West Virginia the first weekend of August.  If any pickers (and family) would like to come to Riverchase Lodge campground in Meadow Creek, WV Thursday, August 1 to Sunday, August 4, you are welcome.  The cost if $40 for the long weekend.  That's probably too far for Amy and crew, but our SC, NC, Tenessee, Kentucky, Ohio folks may take notice. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

I am hosting an event in West Virginia the first weekend of August.  If any pickers (and family) would like to come to Riverchase Lodge campground in Meadow Creek, WV Thursday, August 1 to Sunday, August 4, you are welcome.  The cost if $40 for the long weekend.  That's probably too far for Amy and crew, but our SC, NC, Tenessee, Kentucky, Ohio folks may take notice. 

- Zurf

That event was what I had marked on my calendar for the first weekend of August Zurf.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Meadow Creek, WV -- Dang man thats Coal Contry LOLOLOL but right on New River. Wish I could join you!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Right directly on the New River.  The campground is so "on" the New River that at times in the Spring it is under the New River. 

Anyway - if Amy comes up with a time, I will try to attend.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Would love to go, but plans already set for this year
Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Dino.... I would love to come back to Cali... but I probably can't get away without the kids this time, and that would just be too much money for five people.

So, I am thinking maybe the last week/weekend in July (although mid August isn't totaly out.).  So with that in mind, and thinking either central Ny (North Shore of Oneida Lake area if you need a better idea)... or further south a hair into Pennsylvania.  Give me an idea if you may be in or not and if you have a preference on area or accommodations (tents, rvs, etc??)  Oh... and also if youlan to fish... if you need a river, stream, or lake. Lol!

topdown wrote:

July and August are likely to be busy for me at work, so I will have limited time available to take off. However, with all this traveling I'm doing, I have a whole bunch of airline miles burning a hole in my wallet. If it's close enough to an airport Southwest flies, I may be able to make a 3 day weekend trip for it.

If need be, I would drive to Albany and pick you up.  Jim and I and the kids NEED to meet you in person! big_smile

Thi king of Jeffs situation.... maybe even near Albany somewhere near the Mohawk  could work. ALB airport is right there... or closer to me is SYR for those looking at planes... let me know what would work better that way too. I am totally not against picking people up at airports, train stations, or greyhound stops!

mekidsmom wrote:

Dino.... I would love to come back to Cali... but I probably can't get away without the kids this time, and that would just be too much money for five people.

So, I am thinking maybe the last week/weekend in July (although mid August isn't totaly out.).  So with that in mind, and thinking either central Ny (North Shore of Oneida Lake area if you need a better idea)... or further south a hair into Pennsylvania.  Give me an idea if you may be in or not and if you have a preference on area or accommodations (tents, rvs, etc??)  Oh... and also if youlan to fish... if you need a river, stream, or lake. Lol!

I would love too come out there amy and meet all of you. I am somewhat dealing with a limited budget as I am helping one of my sons who only has part time work because of the poor economy,I do hope all of the members have a great time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Ok, so since it sounds like we have no serious takers and just a few maybes, I am just going to plan something with family in mind... and I'll let you all know when and where and of course your invited to join us in you can.  Jeff-Topdown, if you can make it close enough, we'll come get ya and bring ya back to the airport too!  Albany is only about an hour and a half or so from here.  I drive further than that daily for work.

KEEP NEXT YEAR in mind though all PLEASE!  My son is graduating next year and we've planned to have a huge blow out for him.  He's never had anything huge in his honor... so we're thinking BIG!  Although you don't see him on Chordie much, he's a big time lurker.  He's joined a few skype Jams as well and would love to have you all come.  This won't be a gift expected invite either... just a huge bash that'll be good ole backyard NY Redneck fun.  Any one of you coming would be more than gift enough.  So... stay tuned for 2014 plans!

Hey Amy - Southwest also flies directly from Tampa to Rochester - is that any closer to you than Albany? Let me know the date and I'll see if i can make it!

Would love to be able to come and see you and the family, Amy, but not sure I will have the funds to go anywhere long-haul this Summer! Perhaps I should just start saving up for 2014? But have a great time (with plenty of dead cow) whatever happens!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Rochester is a little closer.  Yes Jeff!  I'll firm up some plans soon, in the event anyone else can make it as well to get the planning started.  Turns out my job will be winding down far sooner than thought as well, so I'll have lots of time on my hands this summer.  Thank God for the second job!

Let us know.  We're hoping to get up to somewhere near Elmira this summer to visit my sister.  It's possible we could swing by other parts of the state.  Possible.  Emphasis on the uncertainty.  My job has been unpredictable for the past year. 

- Zurf

Well, I spent most of the day trying to find a place that will work.  Jeff's got to come into either Rochester or Albany... Zurf's going to be closer to my house than Albany while in Elmira... and I've got a few friends over in Mass and NYC that are interested.  However... trying to make plans in an area I'm not familiar with (Albany area) isn't so easy.  Either the campgrounds have great websites, and cruddy sites... or cruddy websites and possibly nice sites?  I might be throwing in the towel and saying... just come to my backyard if you can make it.  I have enough space for tents, I can hang up a "men's room" tarp amongst some of the trees that lead into the woods, and I have a bathroom to share.  We can have a fire and I even own a grill.  It's not heaven, but it's just as good as a campground.  There is the lake, literally within walking distance for day time activities.  Hmmm... What do you think?  End of July?

Amy's Backyard campground works fine for me - that is if you can supply the gear (tent, sleeping bag, etc.). I also could stay in a nearby hotel, but that might pose an issue with driving knowing the amount of adult beverages I typically consume at events like this.  Not sure how far you are from Green Lake State Park - but I used to camp there as a kid and have fond memories of that place. My family held a reunion there last year that although I did not attend, had good reviews.

I'm wide open for the summer - have no set plans due to work obligations. Like I said, this would be at best a 3 or 4 day weekend for me. That said, don't plan around me, I'd love to meet the family, but I'd say the odds of making it are no better than 60 or 70%.

If I can make it, I will likely rent a car - I have family in Syracuse I would pretty much have to visit if I am that close.

I have to use up a lot of annual leave because I'm way over my maximum carryover amount.  That said - it's hard to get away and I'm getting away for a long weekend in the beginning of August.  I'll try.  Can't promise. If we do schedule some time up in Elmira, I'll give you a ring (or a ping, or something that ends in "ing")

Jeff - if you come up, I'll make my son clean the teenage stink out of his room and sleep on the couch so you can have his room.  Of course, if we end up with a bunch of campers and you prefer to sleep outside, I've got all the supplies you'd need for one to two people comfortably (air mattress and all).  I considered Green Lakes as it looks like they've got a bunch of sites available still (Verona Beach sadly doesn't).  I kind of gave up on the camp search though as I'm feeling like it's not going to end up being a whole lot of folks coming that would camp and at least in my back yard we can be obnoxious, loud, and up as late as we'd like.  LOL!  With my littlest ones recent issues, I'm thinking the back yard MIGHT be the safest place for her too.  (for those unaware, she is high functioning autism but has wandered off twice last week and doesn't seem to comprehend boundries.  I can imagine her visiting some strangers tent and hiding there until someone found her). 

Ok, so I'll talk with the man and find out when he's going to Michigan and we'll plan from there. 

Zurf, I absolutely understand the issues with travel and taking time off from work - etc.  If you and the family can make it that would be awesome.  If you can fly up on your own and need a ride from the airport, I can drive you back and forth too (SYR is closest if that helps at all).  Anyone else that wants to come and would prefer a campground, there really are a LOT of them nearby.  The issue is that this is a  seasonal "beach resort" area.  With Oneida Lake in my "backyard" the closest tent sites fill up quickly so finding a campground with enough sites for a GROUP is tricky this late in the game.  I will plan better for 2014 for sure!

Again, all are welcome!  Location:  North Bay, NY 13123 - around the corner from Sylvan Beach NY - tiny amusement park, public beach, lake, many nearby streams, etc.  There will be a small bon fire, adult beverages, dead cow, kids playing, backyard or nearby camping, and GUITARS!!!!!!  Date TBD: around the end of July

Hit me up for more specifics and I'm not afraid of suggestions!  If a sudden influx of people begins, I may look into Green Lakes campground for a group rate.

You left out the most important details.

Will MeKidsGrandpa make an appearance and play, and will Katey Bug dance? 

- Zurf