Topic: Finding the right key to match my voice

I need some advice and clues please! I've written a song which has a beautiful melody...only problem is i can't sing it in the standard e. I can sing the verses comfortably (I have a alto/tenor voice) but when it come's to the chorus it is way too high for me to sing and if I drop down an octive it sounds horrible, although I can do it, it just doesn't sound right.
Is there any possible way I can sing my own song? Is it more a range issue verses the right key?
Please help!!!

Re: Finding the right key to match my voice

try using a capo.  keep sliding it up till you find your range

What bucknbaja said. 

Also, welcome to both of you. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Problem solved.  Welcome you two.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

hi patti, welcome to chordie.

this is what i do; sing the chorus without the guitar. when you find a pitch you're happy with, strum some chords until you find the right key. then transpose from the original key.

if you have difficulty transposing, here's another tip; put it into the songwriting forum, set to chopro (the instructions are in the sticky), then when it comes out "all purdy like" look to the right and you should find a couple of switches that will transpose for you...simples. failing that, i'm sure we could help in some other way.

also welcome bucknbaja, this is also good advice if you can only play in the key of E.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I  agree with bucknbaja. Trying this stuff with capo is a good solution for everyone facing this problem.