Topic: patting myself on the back

Hi everyone
Hope you all don`t mind but i am feeling quite pleased with myself and wanted to share it with people who probably understand how i am feeling , been playing now for about 10 months and coming along not too bad , but have always struggled with being able to sing along while playing , was on the verge of giving up trying when it just seems to have all come together on the songs i am learning , i suppose its because of practising playing the songs to the point of not really thinking too much about it ,you can put more effort into learning the vocals , although my singing voice is not brilliant it just seems to add a new dimension to the song ,  Well sorry about droning on but hope you all know what i mean . thanks

2 (edited by zguitar 2013-05-18 20:02:32)

Re: patting myself on the back

Good for you 1#7. Just remember that we were all in you shoes at some point. Playing is the part that gets us flustered. But like you discovered, once you are able to play something without thinking about it you get to work on the singing. Now that you know you can do it you won't be so discouraged when you attempt the next song.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

A song without singing is not a song. It is an instrumental lol

Well done, keep working at it. It does get easier as time goes by, as long as you continue to practice.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Good for you.  It takes awhile but it always comes with persistence

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Congratulations-that's a big step!!!!

I have also been playing since October and have struggled with singing. But I keep at it. All I know is I'm better then the neighbors

Let no talents go unused

Thats what makes learning fun. The "ah-ah" moment when you finally get it. Nailing that chord you had been struggling with when all of a sudden it is automatic instead of a struggle. These are the things that make every endeavor worthwhile. Congrats! Keep it up!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks everyone i`m glad its coming together a bit ,i might be ok to do a bit of busking when i retire to boost my pension !!

Fire art  wrote:

I have also been playing since October and have struggled with singing. But I keep at it. All I know is I'm better then the neighbors

keep going with it i`m sure you will get it in the end

glad to hear your making progress 7, it is a super feeling when you find it's all coming together. but you must remember that quite a few of us members are nudging if not past that retirement age, but still busking or just enjoying the sweet tones and tunes made by our own sweet hands. you must keep us informed of your progress and busking plans....LOL. in the bullring perchance?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

1#7 yeah well done you self encouragement is critical while learning guitar,its a good feeling isnt it when it comes together keep it up buddy more fun too come:d

"my struggle the c.a.g.e.d system" need some help!!!!!

Phill Williams wrote:

glad to hear your making progress 7, it is a super feeling when you find it's all coming together. but you must remember that quite a few of us members are nudging if not past that retirement age, but still busking or just enjoying the sweet tones and tunes made by our own sweet hands. you must keep us informed of your progress and busking plans....LOL. in the bullring perchance?

don`t think i would put my musical skills to the test in the bull ring not safe to walk through there a lot of the  times !! I live out towards the airport which i could use the noise of the planes to my advantage in drowning out the singing a bit  lol !!

p.callaby3@gmail.com wrote:

1#7 yeah well done you self encouragement is critical while learning guitar,its a good feeling isnt it when it comes together keep it up buddy more fun too come:d

yes i really get a buzz from playing some of the songs i have been listening to for years and yes a lot more to come

keep up the good work....  this tune is for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXJ9UoQCY5s

if it feels good ,, do it...   badeye     cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

keep up the good work....  this tune is for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXJ9UoQCY5s

if it feels good ,, do it...   badeye     cool

Nice one badeye some great comments in the vid and good lyrics thanks

Just the opposite with me. Loved strumming and singing along to Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, John Denver and the likes. My daughter set up her computer to record me on video.... big mistake as I now realise how bad my singing is, its knocked the stuffing and enthusiasm out of me. Still strum but now just whisper the words under my breath just to help keep time.

Avalon A12C Custom 2006
Gurian JBH 1981
Gibson J45 Banner Re-issue 1996
Martin D16GT 2006

I never considered playing and not singing as an option.  Heh nobody would know what i was playing...  I do kind of do the invisible man thing but lately I have been working on some volume.  belt it out Hardydog it's just fun.

hardydog wrote:

Just the opposite with me. Loved strumming and singing along to Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, John Denver and the likes. My daughter set up her computer to record me on video.... big mistake as I now realise how bad my singing is, its knocked the stuffing and enthusiasm out of me. Still strum but now just whisper the words under my breath just to help keep time.

hardydog as long as it sounds good to you dont worry about anyone else , when i`m singing along at least i know i will get the room to myself !! long as you enjoy it it doesn`t matter , just don`t record yourself again !!

onenumber7 wrote:
hardydog wrote:

hardydog as long as it sounds good to you dont worry about anyone else , when i`m singing along at least i know i will get the room to myself !! long as you enjoy it it doesn`t matter , just don`t record yourself again !!

Need a plastic guitar, I only sound good in the shower.

the thing is no one really likes to hear themselves when they have been taped or recorded we always sound different to what we think , we aren`t all blessed with good singing voices so we just have to make do with what we have , i`m sure our families are used to our wailing so just let rip and enjoy !!

Back to my full volume, not only do I have the room to myself I have the house to myself for a week as my wife has gone on holiday with friends. I will surprise her with a few new songs when she gets back Ha Ha Ha.

Avalon A12C Custom 2006
Gurian JBH 1981
Gibson J45 Banner Re-issue 1996
Martin D16GT 2006

hardydog wrote:

Back to my full volume, not only do I have the room to myself I have the house to myself for a week as my wife has gone on holiday with friends. I will surprise her with a few new songs when she gets back Ha Ha Ha.

enjoy your week of freedom , think the last time my wife went away for a few days was about 20 years ago so make the most of it !!

Excellent!  Keep up the good work.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey hardydog, don't feel too bad! Sing it out anyway...have fun more than always thinking about how you sound. I'm not real great either... :cool tongue

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7