Topic: Reminder - West Virginia jam

Some friends and I are gathering in Meadow Creek, WV to memorialize the life of our friend Alvin Pugh. 

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-P2cYIIJ4cCs/SKCKQ9IYCmI/AAAAAAAAETY/hejZQ1PEDfU/w693-h520-no/IMGP0454.JPG

Alvin had a tremendous bass voice and loved country gospel music, rivers, and fishing for bass (among many other things).  He could sing all night long, and often did.  At Riverchase Lodge and Campground a group of us who knew Al are coming together on his birthday weekend to fish, paddle, and sing.  You are invited. It doesn't matter whether you knew Al, if you like fishing and picking and campfire music, you'll fit in.

http://www.riverchasecampground.com/

The campground fee is $40 for the weekend or any portion thereof.  Thursday to Sunday.  Campers are not allowed, only tents.  Pop-ups count as tents.  No dogs. 

Come and join us. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Reminder - West Virginia jam

Man, I miss that big Hillbilly.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

There's a bit of difficulty getting to the campground.  I just received these country directions for alternate access from the campground owner:

[start of excerpt]
About three weeks ago we had a 20 car train derailment at my crossing.  They are working to replace the crossing but we are currently unable to use it and have been using my right of way through the bottom. 

Directions are as follows:  Go past my crossing into Meadow Creek. When you see the church
bear left and cross two different sets of RR tracks. It will appear that you are driving down to the river,turn left on S.Riverside Road. Continue on the gravel road until you see a house with a swing set and children's toys .  At that point you will
see a red gate, bear left and follow the RR (parallel) along for 50 or so feet. Bear right
and continue along the gravel and dirt road. On your right will be the new National Parks Campground
which is under construction.
[end of excerpt]

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Wish I were there.  Camping sounds fun right about now.  I love the directions too.  Those are MY kind of directions!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Wish I could go too. Although I don't know the man being remembered I hope it turns out to be a memorable event for all who do. I lived in Mount Storm, WVA when I was young. 1946-1952 I suppose.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Well I'm back.  We had four guitar pickers there.  Two of them blew me away with their picking.  Dirty Ed was there and the only reason he didn't blow me away with his picking is that I was too busy being impressed with his song-writing. 

The river was high, so I didn't paddle it.  Dirty Ed did.  I did fish from the campground and caught a few fish, which was nice.  I also took an amazing hike as a "photo safari", but my camera had a severe user-induced malfunction (meaning I forgot that A meant Aperture priority instead of Automatic).  So, the pictures kind of stink. 

On the way home, my light technician buddy Roger and I stopped at the Jackson River, which was not blown out like the New River was.  We put in our kayaks and had a great time paddling and catching fish for a couple hours.  Next time I'm down in WV and the New is misbehaving, I'm going to come back to VA and try the Jackson River, or maybe the Cowpasture.  Each time I drive down, I look at those rivers from the highway and think that they're beautiful.  So yesterday, we took the time to get on one of them, and it was worth it!

Sounds like a GREAT time!  Sad your photo Safari didn't work, and the river was too high.  I guess that just meant more time for picking and hanging with friends though, which is awesome.  smile

mekidsmom wrote:

Sounds like a GREAT time!  Sad your photo Safari didn't work, and the river was too high.  I guess that just meant more time for picking and hanging with friends though, which is awesome.  smile

Alvin, the guy we were honoring this weekend, started this annual shindig about twelve or so years ago.  Back then I'd go down and see some guys with their boats laid out, their fishing poles rigged up and ready, and them sitting around the campfire all day drinking coffee, tea, or water and staring at the river.  I always thought to myself "look at those jokers - they come all this way for these fantastic rivers and then just sit on their cans all day doing nothing."  Well, this year I became one of those jokers and I totally get it now.  It was a great way to spend my Saturday.  Geoff, one of the other fellows along on the trip, set the dizzying pace of getting up to get a beer three or four times during the day. It was exhausting just to watch him.  Heck, one time he moved his chair to keep the smoke out of his eyes.  It was brutal having to see him exert himself like that.

There was some first-class fireside finger-pickin' and flat-pickin', floatin', fishin' and fabulous food at a family-friendly facility. No wonder our faithful facilitator (Zurf) was fatigued.

It was an F'n fine time smile

DE

Dirty Ed wrote:

It was an F'n fine time smile

DE

LOLOLOL Such use of the apostrophe! big_smile  LOLOLOL   Gald you all got to enjoy some relaxation.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Fish I coulda been there!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

Fish I coulda been there!

This was your kind of event buddy.  You'd have really enjoyed yourself. 

I think Guitarpix and his beautiful bride would have enjoyed themselves as well.  I know Mekidsmom and Meselfshusband would have had a ball. 

Diane, the campground owner and host is such a darling.  She made us all breakfast on Saturday morning.  Fresh coffee, egg casserole, cheesy grits, and lots of sourdough toast with butter and jam.  Yum yum yum.  She's a woman who really understands what the hospitality industry is all about. 

With the area having had a lot of rain, and her knowing we like to have our campfire music late into the night, she told us that we could use the campground pavilion in case it rained (no extra charge or registration or anything - just come up and use it).  Well it rained on Saturday night and I have to tell you that when we did move into the pavilion the music sounded great!  With the open air, high roof, and wood floor, the acoustics in there were warm and inviting.  I really liked it.  There were a few comfy Adirondack style chairs and rockers in the pavilion and two people fell asleep in them while Dirty Ed and I swapped songs. 

I never cease to be amazed at the number of songs Dirty Ed can pull out of his back pocket.  (At least I hope it's his back pocket.  He kept reaching behind himself and wiggling around...)  I played the same songs on Friday and Saturday night for the most part.  Dirty Ed had a few repeats, but he had a lot of new material too.  Thursday night 'someone' was a little over-served and had difficulty finding the right frets so he let two amazing guitarists who are paid to play together jam and entertain us all for free.  The rest of the weekend whenever anyone screwed up a note or passage, he yelled "Where are my dots!"  I think it's a sentiment that Mekidsmom's fingers can understand. 

- Zurf

Ha ha ha!  ZURF, this sounds an awful lot like our gathering the weekend previous, only on a slightly larger scale.  WOW!  Of course, we sat in the rain for quite some time, as I kept saying "It'll blow over!" before we made it to the porch and eventually the dining room (thanks to Jeff again for saving my guitar).  LOVE LOVE LOVE, "Where are my dots!"  ha ha! 

It absolutely sounds like a perfect time.  I am really sorry we missed it!  Absolutely have to get EVERYONE together next summer!!!!

We dun't need no stinking dots mon