Topic: Transposing Chord Progression

Hi Folks, I'm interested in transposing the intro chords to Heartache Tonight. The sheet music I have (concert G)  shows the chords as Bb F, C C, Gb/F# slide to G. I'm wondering how one gets a Bb out of G concert. I want to transpose to D (sax related) so I need to know how Bb got in the mix with a G concert key. Perhaps then I can transpose the rest of the intro chords.

Re: Transposing Chord Progression

Hi earl and welcome too chordie,I do not have an answer for you but maybe some of our other members may be able too help you.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

It's a blues scale thing. Here's the classical music theory version of the explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borrowed_chord

Thanks for laying out the welcome mat and I do hope other forum members can offer an answer or a suggestion. As you probably know Gb (F#) doesn't fit the concert G key either. On the other hand if they did start the intro in Bb concert then the Gb chord doesn't fit this key either. bemused to say the least.

Yes it does. F# is the natural 7th scale degree of G major. It is also the 3rd chord degree of D, which is G's 5 chord. So lots of times you'll see a song in G that looks like this:

G    D/F#    Em

or something like that.

In this case though the f# isn't a chord. Just play the F# note and slide up to G. This song has more of a mixolydian feel which is why that F natural works in the intro.

Finally, they aren't "starting the song" in Bb. The song is in G. They are just starting it on a Bb chord. Big difference. smile

don't know why they put a Gb/f# in the key of G either because Gb is F# must be a typo and G is a sharp key (F#) to begin with it and as far as the Bb I think it should be called A# as far as chords are concerned in notation I can understand a # in G but not a b I would think as I understand it when playing in keys that have sharps there are no flats only naturals

"Growing old is not for sissies"

It's actually a Bb in this case because you're playing the chord of G's flatted third.

BGD I do understand the Bb is just a outside chord not included in the progression so you could use just about any chord lol thanks for the explanation smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

What I meant is that it is properly written as a Bb, not an A# even though G is a sharp key.

Thank you all for your input. The G Blues Scale is certainly what makes it correct. The chords that the Eagles used (to which I alluded in the first post) now have to be converted to C so I'm suggesting they would be Eb: --- :  F  :  F :  B  :  C . Maybe one of you theorists would be kind of enough to fill in the second chord for me or edit where I have gone astray. I'm thinking Bb, the seventh scale tone in the C Blues Scale. If that reasoning is correct I'll have the proper foundation for converting to the D key (which is what I need for a Bb instrument)

Yeah that's right. b7.