Topic: Babicz Guitars "Lateral Compression Soundboard" Design

Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree uses one of these in some of their songs (i.e., Drown With Me), and it took me a bit of digging to find out what it was. After reading the theory behind this unique design, I thought someone in the Chordie Universe might actually own and play one. Does it really give the enhanced lo-end boasted about?

Any thoughts?

Re: Babicz Guitars "Lateral Compression Soundboard" Design

What is a lateral compression soundboard?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

3 (edited by beamer 2013-09-05 21:06:18)

dino48 wrote:

What is a lateral compression soundboard?

Here is all your answers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babicz_Guitars

Looks pretty neat and the idea is great as far as spreading out tension on the bridge.

"The humbucker Octane comes with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates on the neck position and George Lynch Screamin’ Demon on the bridge position."  Now this is Awesome! I have the Lynch pick up in my SG for the bridge also.  Not to mention as a listed artist K.K. Downing from Judas Priest.  Tiem to check out the live footage again on Diamonds and rust and see it this is the guitar he is using for the acoustic parts.

Beautifull guitars.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8f/Babicz_Octane_Blue_Flame.jpg/220px-Babicz_Octane_Blue_Flame.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Babicz_Jumbo_Rosewood_Cutaway.jpg/220px-Babicz_Jumbo_Rosewood_Cutaway.jpg

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

If you read all the theory it makes sense but in reality I don't think it translates. I've never played or even seen a guitar strung like that so I can't say first hand. The guitar has been around for thousands of years and new concepts are always being "invented" but the majority are still made the old fashioned way. There is a reason for that. I'm not knocking the Babicz and I don't want to use the word gimmick, but it sorta falls into that category, for me anyway. For MOST people a regular guitar is going to be what they need, want , and have.

Just my 2 cents.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar wrote:

For MOST people a regular guitar is going to be what they need, want , and have.
Just my 2 cents.

LOLOL Yea but man that blue one sure is pretty! even if it had a regular bridge. + like I said its got the Lynch in it wink

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Thanks for the answer T.F. looks intersting I will look for one next time I go too guitar center and check them out.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

beamer wrote:

Yea but man that blue one sure is pretty!

Sure is. 

When you talk about Lynch, I think of Philadelphia Funkadelics, even though his name was George Clinton.  Don't ask.  It's been a long week by any measure other than the number of days with X's on the calendar.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:
beamer wrote:

Yea but man that blue one sure is pretty!

Sure is. 

When you talk about Lynch, I think of Philadelphia Funkadelics, even though his name was George Clinton.  Don't ask.  It's been a long week by any measure other than the number of days with X's on the calendar.

Who then changed their name to Parliment funkadelic.  Just for a example of who George lynch is and this pick up he designed :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTLWKxx34jY
In this vid, Lynch takes Janes Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro back to school.

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-09-14 11:17:07)

I've spoke with a few lads in some of the music stores around, and very few were familiar with this weapon. One knowledgable guy went all "physics professor" on me, and I believe he concluded that this design was more gimmick than goodness. There was a lot of science terminology throughout, so I may have understood him incorrectly ... he sounded like Sheldon from "Big Bang Theory" ... I had to grin.