Topic: Sleepless.

Anybody have any idea how to sleep?? Extenuating circumstances have caused me to lose sleep. 3 hours each night is a miracle. Having to drive all day doesn`t help either. Can`t use alcohol or any kind of pills due to an earlier substance abuse problem. Any ideas would be helpful.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: Sleepless.

I find prayer works. It gives you inner peace, and eventually sleep. If religion is not your thing, learn the art of meditation. very healing. Otherwise, ask for professional help. I feel for you, Joey.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

JJJ - My daughter with Autism has a difficult time turning her mind off to relax at night enough to get to sleep.  Melatonin works wonders to help her relax.  It's available in pill or liquid form.  It's not a "drug" but instead a natural item available with the vitamins in the stores (yup, even the Grocery Store Carries it, right by the multivitamins).  I've taken some when I've had a particularly revved up day (extremely stressed, after having insomnia for several days on end due to insane life circumstances not allowing my brain to shut down) and knew there was no way I was going to go to sleep.  It does help.  Try it, see if it helps you out at all.  It's not expensive.  It won't keep you asleep all night, but it'll help your mind go into relax mode which will maybe help you get some sleep.  Unlike a sleeping pill, it doesn't "knock you out".  You don't wake up feeling groggy even if you wake up a few hours later either.

You've got a LOT on your plate right now.  Way more than most of Chordie's members problems all put together.  Sleepless nights are only going to make everything worse.  Try something, you NEED sleep so you can have a clearer head to try to get by each day.  Of course, a good solid breakdown alone will also help.  You deserve a moment to feel whatever you are feeling, so you can get through this.  ((HUGS))
Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

JJJ, all that Amy said is good advice. I use melatonin to help me sleep sometimes, it allows me to wake easily if my wife needs anything. I had to retire because of my back injury, now I can devote more time to care for my wife and sometimes I need a little help to relax and unwind. You are wise to try to stay away from alcohol and narcotics - been there and done that. I know this may sound selfish but, you need to take care of yourself first, so that you are able to take care of those who need you.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

If you haven't been to a doctor about this, do it.  Lack of sleep will do strange things to your body.  Its a serious matter.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Jjj tai chi is a great way of destressing and relaxing might help with the sleeplessness lots of it on you tube

mekidsmom wrote:

JJJ - My daughter with Autism has a difficult time turning her mind off to relax at night enough to get to sleep.  Melatonin works wonders to help her relax.  It's available in pill or liquid form.  It's not a "drug" but instead a natural item available with the vitamins in the stores (yup, even the Grocery Store Carries it, right by the multivitamins).  I've taken some when I've had a particularly revved up day (extremely stressed, after having insomnia for several days on end due to insane life circumstances not allowing my brain to shut down) and knew there was no way I was going to go to sleep.  It does help.  Try it, see if it helps you out at all.  It's not expensive.  It won't keep you asleep all night, but it'll help your mind go into relax mode which will maybe help you get some sleep.  Unlike a sleeping pill, it doesn't "knock you out".  You don't wake up feeling groggy even if you wake up a few hours later either.

You've got a LOT on your plate right now.  Way more than most of Chordie's members problems all put together.  Sleepless nights are only going to make everything worse.  Try something, you NEED sleep so you can have a clearer head to try to get by each day.  Of course, a good solid breakdown alone will also help.  You deserve a moment to feel whatever you are feeling, so you can get through this.  ((HUGS))
Amy

Great advice from Amy jjj,you got too look after yourself and stay healthy for your wife and family,you have alot on your mind right now.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Power naps. If you're not sleeping well at night, your body will tell you during the course of the day that it needs sleep. I'm sort of a light sleeper at night. When I do take a nap I sleep HARD. 15 - 30 mins is good. Try reading a book, puts me to sleep every time.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

JJJ - I work 24 hour shifts and don't usually get to sleep when I get home at 9:00am. By the time I do get to sleep I'm usually overtired and wound up at 10pm.   If I'm overtired, I'll use Melatonin as well, it works wonders and is natural and non-habit forming.  Also, I've used youtube videos found while searching for "sleep hypnosis" and "sleep relaxation" videos.  They are 30min to 3 hour videos that get talk you through meditation and relaxation, deep breathing and other techniques.  Best of luck.

Do what's right. If you have to think about it, it's probably wrong.

I do a few things to try to sleep. 

If the reason I am not sleeping is pain, then I take some acetaminophen or ibuprofen.  That's a drug, so maybe not for you.

If the reason I am not sleeping is that my mind won't shut down, I play games to keep it occupied.  One of my favorites is to pick a category and then go through the alphabet naming things in that category.  If I get stuck on a letter (Q and X are the most frequent ones), I'll just take a pass.  The idea isn't to "win" the game, but to just give my mind something to occupy it until I fall asleep.  Sometimes I'll go backwards, which adds the challenge of remembering the alphabet backwards while coming up with items in the category.  I'll also do math problems in my head.  Sometimes as simple as picking a high number and a low number, then count backwards towards zero from they high number by the low number.  An example: I'll pick 698 and 7, then I'll count back from 698, 691, 684, 677, 670, etc.  Other times I'll imagine a shape and size and calculate its area.  Rarely do I ever get to an answer before I'm asleep. 

Another thing I'll do if my mind won't shut off is to read something interesting, but not too interesting.  Non-fiction books on a topic that's only kind of interesting to me is best.  I have a tablet with a Kindle app, so I can read in bed.  Currently, I'm reading a very, very, very long book describing archeological finds in Ninevah and Nimrod (the places mentioned as frequent enemies of the ancient Jews in Kings and Chronicles).  You can find all kinds of books of this sort on Kindle if you search for Free Kindle books.   

If the reason I am not sleeping is stress, then I will enjoy a nice cup of herbal tea.  Sleepytime, Sleepytime Sinus Soother, and various chamomile flavors are my favorites.  Honey is a natural muscle relaxant, so I sweeten with honey instead of sugar.  Peppermint is a good natural remedy if you have a headache (which you probably do if you aren't sleeping and are under stress).  Peppermint with honey in it - very soothing. 

Good luck Joey.  I wish you didn't have everything on your plate that's found it's way there. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

First, let me say how sorry I am about your situation and your wife's health problems JJJ.  I can only pray that things get better for you.

As for your sleep issue, its not so much how much you get but how much does YOUR body need.  I was a shift worker most of my working life and know that everyone has different sleep needs.  I've always been one of those folks that could get by on 3-4 hours a day, but worked with guys that slept from the time they got home until it was time to go back to work and then slept through most of their days off.  (rotating 12.5 hour shift combined with a 45 minute drive each way).  Since I worked in the nuclear industry, being groggy from drugs was not an option. What worked for me was to make my bedroom as cold as possible (crank up the air in summer, open the window in winter).  I'd pile on the covers with just my nose sticking out and go into a deep 3-4 hour sleep that would get me through another night at work. It might not work for you but it wouldn't hurt to try it.  Good luck finding something that works for you.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Read.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I'll endorse the napping suggestion.

At 56, the bladder won't let me sleep through the night any more, and although I conk out quickly, can't usually get back to sleep once I'm up even if it's 4:00 AM. A 20-30 minute snooze at noon, or just before supper (not after!) will fill in the blanks and allow you to feel rested. I read once that Winston Churchill rarely slept a night through in a bed all during WW2. He would nap in the car on the way to the airport, on a train, in his office, etc., and was thus able to be "on the job" when needed.

The worse thing about missing asleep is worrying about missing sleep ... that'll compound the problem. Just rest when you can, and your body will tell you what it needs.

I have the same problem getting my mind to shut down.  I generally sleep deep for the first three hours, then I wake up every half hour the rest of the night.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

It looks like alot of us get by on taking alot of naps,I do that a couple times a day as I only get about 6 or seven hours a night. I wake from them feeling refreshed.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thank you  to everyone for the advice. It is 8:45 and I just took a melatonin. Hopefully it will work. This 2 - 3 hours sleep each night is really starting to wear me down. Good night everyone.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

jjj hope you get a good nights rest.

easy, just put something on TV you really want to watch always works for me i've had to buy box sets of my favourites cos i always miss the middle parts. seriously though; power naps. i used to be a lorry driver and if i had some time to spare i'd tell myself 10 minutes (or whatever) then i'd close my eyes and wake up 10 minutes later. but you've got to be able to clear your mind, if you start thinking about anything that's going on in your life you'll never drop off.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I agree with the power naps also.  Another sad story for me is I haven't been able to take a nap for 25 years or more, but I can lie down anddrift a little for 20-30 min, never actually falling asleep, but I feel as though I took a nap.  It does help.

20 (edited by beamer 2013-10-12 00:00:09)

Power Naps
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?id=8908727

A NASA study on military pilots and astronauts found a 40-minute nap improved performance by 34 percent and alertness by 100 percent.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

JJJ you indicated some tough things going on in your life right now, thats a big problem for people but, make sure you don't have Sleep Apnea also, I did, and a visit to my doctor who ordered a sleep study proved that. I now use a Cpap machine at night and have very good sleeping results.
Good luck to you man, get help somewhere.    b

The melatonin bought me an extra hour and a half on Thursday night. Friday I fell asleep at 9pm, awoke at 3am. And slept more from 4 to 7am. I had to eventually

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Good you need too do some catching up this weekend,goodnight

Well, the melatonin stopped working. Back to 2 - 3 hours sleep again.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Oh man jjj, I feel for ya. You gotta figure out a way to de-stress and unwind. Wish I had and answer for you.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".