1 (edited by johncross21 2007-06-05 22:34:15)

Topic: Folk and Rock

I occasionally go to my local musicians night.

Its a folk club. Its not all beards,  sixteenth century harmonies, and tinpipes but definately unplugged

There's some great guitarists there - but as I usually play blues/rock/new wave I can't   fingerpick (well not much) so what might I play ?

Re: Folk and Rock

Hi John,

If you go the public song books and sort by edited you will quickly find James McCormick's Folkie Dolkie 1 song book and they have been 100% edited. I am sure you will find some gems in there.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey Johncross check out anything by Sonny Terry and Brownie MaGhee. They put out some real good acoustic  blues music in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Sonny was blind at an early age and Brownie had one leg shorter than the other.Sonny walked for Brownie and Brownie saw things for Sonny. One tune I realy like is "Pawn Shop Blues" about Brownie pawing his guitar just to eat. they have some real good acoustic blues.

Have a good one...Badeye.

one caper after another

Why not stand out and play one of your favourite rock songs acoustically. Unplugged, as they say. If you know the song well and can play it well then surely this club is not snobby enough to dissaprove. If it sounds good on the acoustic (and what doesn't?), give it to them.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Look for pop/rock songs with rundowns or places you can introduce them, eg. G->Em and C->Am.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'