Topic: Do you need to sing to play guitar ?

Now I know the answer to this is obviousy no,  but I cannot sing too well and it is frustrating not being able to sing (in tune) along when I play...be intrested to hear what others opinions are..

If its too loud yer too old.

Re: Do you need to sing to play guitar ?

seems to be two questions

first do you need to sing ? it might help if you are a solo guitarist but its not essential. Jo Satriani doesn't sing.

however you have options -

find a style of singing that suits your voice

make sure you start in the right key - if you start too high you won't get to the high notes

perhaps avoid deep voices and falsetto

sing songs you know well - record them and listen to your voice - wash rinse and repeat

practice the song until the guitar part can be put on autopilot (its hard to sing over complex solos)

As far to your statment about singing in tune, if you use a capo you can change the octave or key to fit your vocal range.

Bootlegger.

Great advice JC. Singing can help you get the timing to some songs and certainly can help you work things out like where a song pauses or where a chord is filling, to allow a singer to breath. It also helps to be able to sing a little for backing. For instance the Elvis song 'Return To Sender'. If you kill the strings right before 'she wrote upon it' the song becomes far more dynamic, suddenly it isn't strumming all the way through and even if you're just growling 'she wrote upon it' that's part of the effect, sort of spoken. Johnny Cash got a long way with semi-spoken singing.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Singing takes practice.  It is all about air - don't hunch over your guitar.  Sit or stand up straight and get enough air inhaled to make a steady tone.  It takes effort to make it sound effortless . . .

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Sorry, was interrupted before I could finish previous post . . . begin by learning how to produce a steady tone with your voice.  Long tones - find your resonance - open your throat - relax and let the air flow in and out.  Then work on 'rollercoaster' tones with your voice slowly going up and down.  Breath from the gut - relax your belly to inhale.

Singing takes strength and finesse to produce and project a tone.  Get comfortable with the sound of your own voice - it is a unique instrument, so don't try to make it sound like somebody else.

Build your poise and confidence and 'sing out' - like you are aiming your voice at a target 10 feet away (not 3 inches in front of your face).  People who don't (or can't) sing are the quickest to criticize - so focus on developing your technique (not on their negativity).

Singing is fun.  Playing is fun.  Singing and playing together is absolutely wonderful - keep at it and enjoy the process.   James

Hi James,
I could not disagree with anything you said!  But would like to add, if one can afford it a vocal coach is a great bonus.... Learning yoga breathing techniques. The 3 phase breath exercise, is brilliant.. This can be done any where, any time!.   Learning anykind of deep breathing Exercises Not only good for the vocals, but for your whole being ! Most important of all relax and never sing on a full tummy.
There is a tiny muscle at the back of the throat, we call in the business " THE HYSTERICAL MUSCLE!   You would hear this if people get uptight, some times there voice can sound squeeky?
Its the same if not relaxed when singing.  Go with your own natural resonance,And delight in the gifts you were given.
Slán
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hello hopeful - and sorry that you are so frustrated.  The source of your 'no volume' problem is probably 'no air'.  Old Doll is right on the money with the yoga breathing . . .

Seems hard to believe, but many people don't really know how to breathe fully.  Your lungs and gut and throat and mouth and sinuses are all part of your voice.  A vocal coach can help you with the basics - very much worth a try.  James

Yes, a chronic sinus problem can affect the tone of your speaking and singing voice.  Sinuses are basically hollow parts of your head that work like resonating chambers (same as the body of an acoustic guitar) to modulate the tone of your voice.  Holding your nose shut while speaking changes (or should change) the sound of your voice because it is bypassing the sinus cavities.

If you have a lingering sinus infection, or allergic reactions that just won't ever go away you should discuss the situation with a physician - - - problems inside your head are nothing to ignore.

Some sinus problems can be easily relieved with over-the-counter medications . . . but find out what the source of the problem is before you start self medicating.  James

Hi Hopeful,
You will do your self a great service to learn the three Phase Breath Technique... Its really good to help clear the sinus.. once learned never forgotten, and so simple to do.

Slan
Old Doll.

Thanks for all the advice the fact that others feel the same way makes me feel a lot better.
By the way Tracey Chapmans "Baby Can I hold You" is one that even I can sound not too bad singing.

Tommo

If its too loud yer too old.

My problem is that I tend to let others sing out of shyness. I'm really not shy at all but when it comes to singing I clam up. When I do sing people tell me that my voice isn't so bad. This has been a problem for many years. Any suggestions?

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Hi Mhebert,
{ Faítes-Le Vous méhm}

Lock you  and i in a room for i day! you would sing to leave? as i never stop!

Use your gift, your vocals are a muscle, and you know what they say? " If you don't use it you lose it"
Slán
Old Doll.

I beleive being able to sing is a true gift. if you have the ability to sing you could actually get by with two chords and be quite the entertainer. one could be a very good guitar player and be at a party and without any vocals there is really no show. the good news is that with practice ones voice will improve. I dont have a very good voice but through years of practice I can sing certain songs. I have no dought that withe proper training and exesizes most people can develop their own style. I once heard both Bruce Spingstrrn and John Mellenchamp were kicked out of bands, being told they could not sing. hey look at Bob Dylan

what a long strange trip it's been

Hi!
My opinion is that almost anyone can learn how to sing (there are rare cases that are hopeless...) but shyness and shame stands in our way. One other big factor I think is how we are brought up. If there where singing and music in your childhood home it's considered a natural thing and you don't get the blockings that people from non music familys get.

I was almost 35 before I discovered that I (if I can say so myself) is a decent singer. I got a new job and a friend there (he's a singer in a deth metal band, but can sing or play anything) dared me to sing. He physicaly draged me up on karaoke stages and so on. What ever I thoght of the performance he alwas said: "Your bullshiting you have a great voice". If he lied or not I don't know but he fixed another big factor in my head. Self confidence.

Now I play and sing with joy and I hope to give this to my now 4 year old son, that by the way already is singing along in his favorite songs (always fun to hear a swedish kid sing in "english").

/Missen

If you love what you do, there's no need to be good at it...

Petermiss, I agree that anyone (almost) can learn to sing.  I believe it is a very healthful activity - the deep breathing and the tones resonating throughout your body are good for a person.

One of my favorite things is doing sing-alongs with kids . . . get 'em singing and clapping and moving and there is nothing more enjoyable.  When your son starts in school (do y'all have kindergarten or pre-school in Sweden?) volunteer to lead songs for his class - you will have huge fun and life-long fans.  James

17 (edited by petermiss 2007-06-08 11:06:19)

Hi James!
I've had that thought. To set up a gig at my sons kindergarden. Kids are painfully straight critics and straigt fans if they like what you do. At my sons previous kindergarden they had a guy in the staff that played the guitar and all the kids loved it. Unfortunately we moved and at the new one no one plays.

I did my first "close to a gig"-performance last weekend when we had a small conference at work. We were around 25 people there and we are 3 of those who play (1 is semi pro). That was GREAT fun. I can't nail the barre's yet so I did some air guitar fake strumming on those and sung a little louder :-)  The problem with that was that my guitar is metal and the others are nylons, so mine is the lodest, but it still worked.

The fun thing about singing is that you can actualy hear/feel your voice evolving if you use it. One thing for me was that I noticed my ability to nail the notes increased when I put more force in my voice, sang out louder and moore articulated. The problem there is that you have to get the confidence first to dare to sing out (a couple of beers can help there, just don't take to many cause then you can't coordinate your playing...). You can practice everywhere (or almost everywhere).

Keep singing folks, I promise that the only one in the room rating your singing as embarrasing is you.
/Missen

If you love what you do, there's no need to be good at it...

Try taking your guitar in the shower, it worked for me.

Just kiddin

Hey, there's plenty of guitarists who can't sing.
I agree with cytania's assessment of Johnny Cash. Try not to replicate the voice of the song your playing, just make it yours.

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy