Topic: Backing tracks V live performance

What is the feeling  guys of using Backing tracks as supposed to live performance?

Re: Backing tracks V live performance

My  Band  for  two  years before we  added a permanent  drummer and  bass player  used  backing    when we  played  the  clubs and  bars over  here  here  in Crete  to good  effect .It  enabled  us  as  a  trio  to  have   a  much  fuller  sound  and on occasion if  I  played  solo   to  still  sound  like  a  band .
The  main down side  I  found  was  that   you  could  not  vary  from the   format  laid  down by  the track  and  also   if  you  happened  to  miss  your  cue  for the  start  of  a  verse  then you couldn't  cover  a  mistake ,however  the  good  side  to  that  is  it  made  you  play    tighter as  the  backing  track makes  no  allowance  for  other  players  it  just  carry's  on regardless.
I  dont  use  them now   but  I  wont  dismiss  the  possibility of  future  use .If  i  play  solo   I  use  a  boss rc2 looper   and  a  zoom  effect  pedal for  drums  .The  zoom  I  have  modified  with  an external  switch  so  I  can turn the  drum  track   off  once  Ive  recorded it  into  the looper .
Summing up  there  is  no   substitute  for  a  live  band  it  gives  more  scope  for  improvisation  and  a  better  show  for the  audience but  theres  no  shame  in  using  a  backing track .

Meaning no disrespect to Grah1, I'm not a big fan. Music needs to flow freely and backing tracks get in the way of that.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks guys!
Yeah, we like it live and as you say, you can improvise and not stick to a track. Good feedback it has made our minds up to stay live. Johnny Guitar 'Shades Of Silver' smile

I was just grinning to myself, and thinking about groups like Tangerine Dream that rely heavily on digital sequencers and such ... where would they be without them, eh? I suppose it really deopends on the style of music. Prog Rock, techno, and other semi-classical styles work with pre-recorded backing quite well. But I certainly can't imagine good ol' rock 'n' roll, blues, or bluegrass with backing tracks.

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you as most of our work is 4 part harmony soft rock and blues

There are some fantastic "electronic music" acts out there. I'd start with Beck as the old master, and lately "Chvrches" from Scotland has been getting a lot of coverage.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Did some one mention Scotland? I felt the universe move.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??