Topic: How to use computer as effects box?

How  do I use a computer (PC) as an effects box? What hardware do I need to get the guitar signal into the computer.  I assume I can get the signal from the PC to my amp via the headphone out on the PC.  What software program is available to emulate effects boxes?  Thanks, johnk.

Re: How to use computer as effects box?

Hi Johnk welcome too the forum,I do not know of any but some of the other members here may be able too help you.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

3 (edited by beamer 2013-11-04 22:50:42)

this link may help

http://softadvice.informer.com/Free_Gui … tware.html

My advice is to get a zoom, digitech,  or line6 pod.  they interface with your PC/MAC.  You have more options than you would normaly use + drum machine with the digitech. You can pick them up used  or the RP255 new for around 150, any digitech lower than the 250 (the predacessor) will not interface. not to mention you have a user  library of over 1000 patches to work with also.

To put your guitar into the puter you need either a cable like they sell for rocksmith, or a 1/4 to 1/8  patch and run into your sound card. 

This year I plan on buying Rocksmith as its a great tool and keeps praticing fun, not to mention it has the effects your talking about in it also.  I have not read favorable review on the PC versions,, so im going with Xbox.
Hope this helps!
Scott.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

hi johnk, welcome, i use a "focusright scarlett" which came with a "cut down" recording studio in the box in the shape of a CD which you must down-load onto your PC. the FRS attaches to the PC by means of USB. the studio has a good many FX's and if you buy the full program you get a whole lot more. i paid around

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

After much research, OK, I looked on the internet for a few days, I decided that a Line 6 Pocket POD was the way to go.  After an frustrating, unsuccessful visit to my local Guitar Center, I went home and ordered it online. I don't dislike Guitar Center, I just had the misfortune to deal with two semi-worthless employees on my visit. I'll post about the POD after I've learned how to use it.  johnk

sounds like just what your looking for,,, (im just a RP fan, they were around b4 lline 6 with the classic RP1)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

7 (edited by edshaw 2013-12-08 19:20:54)

It depends a lot on your intended application. If you want to make music with effects, you can use an audio interface and route through Garage Band effects panel.  There are a couple of dozen effects available and they sound good. if you have a Mac. That gives you a record option.
Personally, I would not get involved. There is a ceiling over how far you can take this. Granted, I don't know Pro Tools or any of the high end recording software. But my experience told me to hook up a good all around effects processor or get a couple of stomp boxes, play through them, then route that signal into a decent stand alone recorder or your personal computer if you must. Quite simply stated, complex recording tasks ask more of a PC than it was designed to handle. I know rockers and geeks are not going to like this answer, because there are touring bands who record with nothing but a laptop and pro tools. But they don't do a lot in the way of track separation and effects mixing, far as I know.
Now, adding effects to pre existing tracks with a laptop, that is a different story.
I also believe that you can excite audiences more with what you can do to a clean sound with your own pick and your own hands than you ever will with electronic effects. Effects get old. A good hammer on or a progressive damped vibrato, or a twang never get old smile

NOthing will ever beat a great distortion, chorus, delay, flanger, and phaser! (as analog as you can keep it, though for $$ reasons, I love my multi effex station,, however my distortion flange and compressor are all analog smile