Topic: Skype won't work...

Have had Skype on this laptop (Windows 7) for quite a few years, but haven't used it for long time. When I double click the icon, it just does nothing - won't "launch"! I have tried re-installing Skype from scratch, but it won't install. Any ideas, tech-heads?!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Re: Skype won't work...

Beer?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Good call, but that didn't work either...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

If you de-installed it and now can't install, that's sounding like a virus detection software or firewall is getting in the way of the settings.  Check any firewalls you have installed and identify Skype as a trusted software to see whether that helps.  If not, then consider wine.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Beer and shots of tequella.I do not know but I am guessing your browser may not be up to date.I have windows 7 also and a computer only one year old but the browser was out of date last month.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

There was a large Microsoft update about a week ago.  For some reason, it did not push to my computers the way Microsoft Update usually works.  Go click the Office button, click on All Programs, then scroll down to select Windows Update.  Run that and reboot the computer.  Once it's run, try Crap Cleaner or similar software to be sure your registry is clean.  If after checking Windows Update, making sure your registry is orderly, and setting your firewall to tell that Skype is a trusted program, I'm about out of things to try.  I'd probably call Amy then. 

- Zurf

7 (edited by beamer 2013-11-18 22:36:37)

I have found that when MS pushes software, sometimes it just craps the computer out or will not load correctly.  I would go to the MS site and manually download the update. reboot. follow zurfs info.  I have never used crap cleaner, but always use Ccleaner and its registry cleaner. I also found that by disableing auto update,, I have no more problems wink

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Ccleaner is Crap Cleaner.  I'm stuck in the 90's.  That was the real name of the product when it was first released.  They have since changed the name to CCleaner to be less offensive I guess.  I just still think of it by its original name. 

- Zurf

If the cleaners don't work, try removing the Skype program entries using the program install/uninstall troubleshooter from Microsoft.  It can be found here:  http://support.microsoft.com/mats/progr … _uninstall

I run malwarebytes free virus removal software (if you download it, do NOT accept the free trial of the live antivirus protection software.  It will become annoying when the trial is over).  Malwarebytes is the only thing that seems able to remove many viruses that often have to be hand removed from the registry.  Everytime I've had to help someone, my research usually brings me to malwarebytes.  I would make sure Skype is then fully uninstalled.  Do all microsoft updates available, make sure you reboot your system one last time and then try downloading a fresh version of the Skype installer and attempt the install again.

Chances are you can skip the virus check.  It sounds like there's some old files floating around in the registry messing things up and the microsoft tool should fix it if Zurf and Beamer's cCleaner suggestion doesn't do the trick.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Amy is ther one for 32 bit?  Im still on vista.
I think I have used this b4 also.  Will also try malware bites free.  I had issues with it b4 but will try again. espically on the wifes puter its a lemon from day one!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

11 (edited by Russell_Harding 2013-11-20 01:09:36)

If Skype is disabled in your services you have to right click on the program and select properties it will show if its disabled you have to enable it in Windows 7 type in the word services in your search bar it will list all of them find skype if its disabled you just have to enable it you may have to reboot to take effect I found a link and tried to paste it with no luck I will go back and see if I can find it again https://support.skype.com
you should find some answers here if my suggestions dont work

"Growing old is not for sissies"

12 (edited by beamer 2013-11-20 08:12:36)

So Amy the reg cleaner in Ccleaner wont work??? first I have heard of that but im not arguing big_smile  but after just looking at the MS site fixit is only for newer OS not my 32 bit. will try your other suggestion.

13 (edited by mekidsmom 2013-11-20 13:33:16)

Are you having the same issues as Paul with Skype installing, or do you have something else going on Scott?  Vista was a terrible operating system.  wink  I did find some auto fixes for Vista 32 bit systems on Microsoft's website.  They are just a little harder to find.  I'm not a computer genius, just a search guru.  LOL!  IE:  Here's one for when opening an .exe file results in a different program than you wanted opening up:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505#FixItForMeAlways

Here's the link for fixing files that won't open.  It doesn't specify if it's for 32 or 64 bit, but does say Vista.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2688326 … orMeAlways 

edited to include additional information

NoAmy my issues are with the whole system just deciding to slow down to the point of not being able to do anything!  I have to reboot.  I did however run malwarebites and it found a coupple things that my firewall and MSSE didnt find. going to run that on the wifes puter and see if it helps hers too.

As for the complaints on Vista,,, Well I ahve lived with it for 7 yrs and mosts the time its been fine.  the biggest complaint I know of waws not being able to run legacy progs.  i ended up tossing some great stuff cause of that. the little stuff i  dont sweat too much.

15 (edited by Russell_Harding 2013-11-21 02:07:43)

Try this click start in the search box type msconfig this is short for Microsoft configure then press enter a screen well show with several drop down tabs select the startup tap and Skype should be listed if its not checked in the box check it with your mouse then right click on it and select properties this will tell you if its turned on and another thing is not all the programs listed need to be started when you boot up except your anti virus you can speed up your pc by unchecking programs you dont need or use at startup and open them when you want to by double clicking on them

Russell is right.  There's probably a TON of programs running in the background on start up.  Many are unnecessary, but some are needed and your computer won't start at all if you disable the wrong ones.  So to start, just disable what you know you don't need (don't need word starting in the background for sure!).  If you're not sure what they are, do a google search and if in doubt, don't disable.  smile  A slowdown like that is generally a virus or a ram issue.  Blocking programs from starting helps with the ram issue as well as upgrading the ram.  What's the make and model?  I'll see if I have ram laying around that I can bring along to FL and put it in for you if you want (free.  I have no use for it!  Just refuse to throw simple things like this away).  Also, try not to have too many programs open at once.  Your machine is at the age where it really only wants to be used for basic computing.  MalwareBytes is the best.  Run it again just to be sure you're virus free. 

PAUL - Did you get Skype going???

Amy my puter is doing better but not great.  I already pushed teh ram to max, it dont even acknowledge aome of whats in there.  Like I said though, the fans turn on and it boggs down, I restart, and it seems to be fine.  Malwarebites only found 2 root kits. and I ran it twice.
I will do the config, but I really get worried so a lot of stuff doesnt get turned off.  yea im thinking of bringing  to FL.  Not only so you and Dr Zurff can look at it, but im also packing my mixer and some mics so we can get some stuff on the hard drive. (wish I had a Reel to Reel. 20 hours of tape and just let it run while we are in there)  I think it will all pack up.

do you have any save points at which you could go back too and restart it from that point?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

19 (edited by Russell_Harding 2013-11-23 01:49:06)

Never mess with the registry if your running windows 7 like me then you have to have a disk cleaner program that comes with the accessories use it most likely you either have a lot of programs installed and it just takes a lot of time to boot or you may have tons of temporary folders which can add up to a lot of Megabytes and slow the PC down you can remove them safely by typing in the search bar %temp% these temporary folders are used by your programs to store data but are not vital just right click and high lite all of them by selecting "all" then delete but the disk cleaner will do that for you another possibility is systems restore go back to a earlier time when it was running ok just pick a restore point and it will do the rest

beamer wrote:

Dr Zurff

Now that's what I'm talking 'bout!

Ok, next Q... does this seem to happen when you are running one program in particular?  Or once you open up a 3rd program or 4th?  Or can the fan just decide to start spinning like crazy for no apparent reason?  Something is upsetting the balance between ram and processor and causing heat and the fan to turn on it sounds like.  Blowing dust out like was suggested on FB is a easy possible fix if it's a manual thing, but it could be a program.  If you've installed ram and the puter isn't recognizing it, it could be the "wrong kind" of ram, or it could be that your computer will only take so much and the card you put in puts it over.  I've got a 2GB DDR3 SODIMM.  Not sure how old your puter is if it'll take DDR3 or not.  But think about this... newer ram doesn't use as much power, therefore doesn't put so much strain on everything, therefore not getting everything so hot.  You're running newer programs that use more RAM on an older machine... it's going to get hotter faster.  So I guess I digress again to the whole "blow it out" theory, make sure the chill pad's working on the hottest portion of the laptop, and try to make sure you're utilizing all available space to upgrade RAM.

I plan to bring my lil Zoom recorder to FL too.  smile

22 (edited by beamer 2013-11-24 00:35:30)

Already hit it with the air hose. got a nice cloud out of it.  The ram I installed was what the site said was compatable. many reports say the comp only  recognizes so much of it though.  As I said its about 7 yrs old. Its a Dell Insperion 1710E (or something in the 1700 line)  the fans just come on at random times, and as I said, if I restart it, it calms down and will go all night with out a hitch. thats whay Im thinking my thermal pste is probably dust by now.  Ill take a pic of how its set up and put it in your FB chat (amy)

My older computer will not work with skype and it is a 2005 model,your computer may not be able too keep up with the newer version of skype.

I opened a Google gmail account and it includes video chat as well as a free phone all you need is a persons email and you just invite them to video chat its as good as skype without the hassle

Russell_Harding wrote:

I opened a Google gmail account and it includes video chat as well as a free phone all you need is a persons email and you just invite them to video chat its as good as skype without the hassle

Hi Russ I was wondering how good that works I may give it a try.