Topic: Smokin

The law about  not  smoking  in a  public place doesnt mean jack   here in Crete .Last  night I  was  asked  down to  a new taverna  to  play  a  few  songs  for  a  friends  leaving  party.
In years  gone by before the passing of the afore mentioned law I  have played  some smoky  bars  but  this  one  had to  be the worst,  it  was like  trying to perform inside a burning building ,with closed doors and no extraction .Needless to  say  we  left  early  as  my  health was beginning to  suffer .This morning  I  am coughing and my  throat  is  raw .
Now I  know  I  am whining and  the  culture  here  is  different which I  accept  as  this  is  my  chosen place to  live .But  the  place  was packed to  the  door,  all ages .It  is  up  to  the  individual  if  they  choose to  smoke ,but I  dont  want  to  breathe  second  hand    fumes .
Any way  rant  over .I need  a  gasmask  any suggestions .

Re: Smokin

i did a gig in swansea in a pub that was crammed to the rafters, i think it was the landlords birthday. this was before the smoking ban, but as you say; the air was opaque with fag smoke. after a while my voice began to crack (i thought i'd reached puberty at last!) in a while i could hardly hit a note. then the bouncer (yes a bouncer) opened the door to let someone out and the fresh air rushed in and like magic my voice returned.

the smoking ban is a two edged sword, we get clean air to breathe but the gaspers can't smoke so they buy booze from the supermarkets then drink at home, then the venues become empty and close and we don't have anywhere to play anymore....

i'd hate to think of the damage done to my lungs over the last 40 years that i've been gigging, all passive smoke as i've never indulged.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

i did a gig in swansea in a pub that was crammed to the rafters, i think it was the landlords birthday. this was before the smoking ban, but as you say; the air was opaque with fag smoke. after a while my voice began to crack (i thought i'd reached puberty at last!) in a while i could hardly hit a note. then the bouncer (yes a bouncer) opened the door to let someone out and the fresh air rushed in and like magic my voice returned.

the smoking ban is a two edged sword, we get clean air to breathe but the gaspers can't smoke so they buy booze from the supermarkets then drink at home, then the venues become empty and close and we don't have anywhere to play anymore....

i'd hate to think of the damage done to my lungs over the last 40 years that i've been gigging, all passive smoke as i've never indulged.

When you say Swansea, I live about an Hour and a half from Swansea, Mass. But when you say "Fag", I think of a cigarette in England. Which is a whole different meaning here. Now you got me confused. Which Swansea is it?? Just curious if it is the same one.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Phill's in the UK.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That's Swansea Wales UK.

I'm sorry for the confusion I know "fag" might mean something different in the US, but it means cigarette here as in;
"While you've a Lucifer to light your FAG, smile boy that's the style" which is a war time song, I'm not sure if it's the 1st or 2nd world war. And apparently "Lucifers" were matches.

I live just 30 minutes from Swansea depending on traffic, rush hour can take an hour and a half too!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I played in a joint in Arkansas back in the late 60s and they used a tin can with wood burning in it to heat the place. Lucky the (bar) had no windows or doors so the smoke just drifted out. But man that was crazy to be playing to a wood fire in the middle of the dance floor and a few dozen happy drunken folks acting like there was nothing wrong. But yea grah1 some of these bars were really bad with smoke before the banned it here.   And I've been smoking for over 40yrs.

This morning I  am breathing better  but   my  sinus's  feel  terrible  like  a real bad case of hay fever .

Really not pleasant trying to perform in a smoky atmosphere. Don't think I could do it!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic