Topic: an Special Moment

Thursday evening I performed in the Foothills Folk Society concert/fundraiser at OUC (Ohio University - Chillicothe campus).  The Foothills Folk Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting and preserving  Appalachian arts and is made up of local musicians and artists who donate their time to raise money to provide free instruments and music lessons for local youth.  We also collect donations for the local food bank. (We contributed over 4 tons of food in 2013).

The program theme this year was folk songs from the 50's and 60's and each performer was asked to play at least one song from that era.  I played Donovan's "Catch the Wind" and "I Just Want to be a Folk Singer" (written by local singer/songwriter Jeff Hartley) and then 3 of my original tunes.  The audience was real receptive and I really enjoyed playing.  After I finished my set, I put my guitar away, stashed it in a small room behind the stage and then went out into the hall so I could enter the auditorium in the rear and sit in one of the back seats to hear the next act.  As I was walking down the hall I heard footsteps behind me so I stopped and turned around.  There was a chubby youngster about 10-12 years old following me and when I stopped he almost turned and ran but finally got his courage up to approach me. In a shy voice he said "Sir, I want to tell you how much I liked your songs." I immediately thanked him and asked him if he played an instrument.  He told me he had been taking banjo lessons for 7 months. We talked about music for several moments and I invited him to attend our next FFS "Munch and Jam". (monthly get-together where we have a short business meeting then socialize and play for 3 hours). When we parted ways I'm not sure who had the biggest smile.  For me, the praise of that youngster meant more than all the applause from the audience.  It was really a special moment I'll always remember.

It was a pretty successful evening.  We ended up making $500 for the group and also received $59 in cash and over 400 pounds of food for the food bank.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: an Special Moment

That is awesome all the way around Ed. Would love to hear that in the future the kid ends up in the Society doing what you're doing. Very cool of you to spend a few minutes with him instead of just saying thanks and turning away.

Keep it up DE!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice story DE. Maybe you should give a thought to changing your moniker  to Kind Considerate Ed:-) Well done!

Great  stuff Ed  I  applaud   your  efforts  .

good story all round nice to hear youngsters appreciating good music  !

good for you ed,its nice too inspire kids too play music.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'll bet that was a great feeling.  He saw you as a star and you got down to his level.  Great story

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hot dog! Very good and congratulations.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Great Job DE!  I has actually considered coming down until a few days before I got notice of a reunion for the Ashville Open Mic so I decided to go play instead of just coming and enjoying you and others.  I know you did your normally great job and the interaction with the young fellow is legendary!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Bass Viking wrote:

Great Job DE!  I has actually considered coming down until a few days before I got notice of a reunion for the Ashville Open Mic so I decided to go play instead of just coming and enjoying you and others.  I know you did your normally great job and the interaction with the young fellow is legendary!

I had planned to go to the reunion too Jim, but the University changed the FFS concert date so there was a conflict.  I got an email from John Locke and he told me so many players showed up that some didn't get to perform. He also informed me that there is interest in doing a monthly open mic. It'd be nice to have a monthly visit with the old crowd again.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Hats off to you, Dirty Ed!