Topic: Where should I be on my Guitar Journey 1 yr in....

Hi...First I'm new to the Forum and am a 54 yr old  just  been playing for 1 yr in now,Love the Instrument yes Indeed,Learning on a Alvarez#rd8c Acoustic, wow I wish I would have picked this  Instrument up when I was  like 10 or so but anyways this is where I'm at  so far on my Journey and would like to know if  im progressing just fine ...

Now keep in mind I have no teacher just outside of using Utube and some music Books and chord charts I have  stumbled upon ,I can Read Tabs,know   e-minor scale  some blues scales and the A-pentatonic scale and all my open chords can play most of the  easy rock songs  most of the slow country stuff have not mastered any of the Barre chords yet lol yuck but will attempt too ..so   am I Progressing just fine, I do realize people  progress at  different  speeds I at lest put in 2 hrs practice a day I have not  missed a day of Picking up the Guitar  with in the yr I have had it  my true love  and what i wish to Learn is Blue Grass and the Acoustic Blues,Thanks guys ... Also Im in A Rural area in the country  so its not  beneficial for me to drive 30 miles to a town that has a music instructor for 15 minutes  once or twice a month....

Re: Where should I be on my Guitar Journey 1 yr in....

As long as you are enjoying yourself I'd say you're right where you should be. Welcome to Chordie.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Just keep it up. You sound as though you are having a good time and that's what is important. I myself started about 8 months ago at 63 and enjoy the hell out of it. Will never call myself a musician but strumming and singing (no matter how bad) can be most satisfying. If you haven't already you might check out Justinguitar.com and pick up some help.

Welcome to Chordie, X4Ax!

I will heartily echo what BlueJeep says. When music becomes a competition about who's better or how fast you're progressing, then the fun screeches to a halt. I recall trying to learn "The Clap" by Steve Howe years ago, and not getting too far with it. I got frustrated and actually put the guitar down for a while. With age (I'm 56) that doesn't matter anymore. If you like what you're doing and have the satisfaction of learning some little thing every so often, then that's really what it's all about. By the way, here's The Clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KN2qvto … feature=kp

Scares the b'jeebers outta me!

Sounds like you're moving along just fine.  I've been at it a few years now, and haven't forced myself to learn the scales and such yet!  wink  Good Job to you!  I will also +1 for justinguitar.com - online, great instructor, and free (unless you choose to donate or purchase hard copy items).

WELCOME TO CHORDIE!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

You've done very well. I strugle with scales after 7 or 8 years of playing. Next step is to play in front of others. There is  no more encouraging  group of people than the Chordie group that gathers electronically via Skype. Keep an eye out on Chat Corner forum for a weekend Skype jam, lay in a supply of your favorite beverage and snacks, and get your song sheets gathered.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Everyone has it right. You are wherever you are supposed to be. I`m 53, started at 21 and I am still learning. I am just a strummer and fingerpicker, but I still like to try different things. I have played lead parts but not good. I don`t stop trying. It is all part of the fun. I only have to answer to me.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Im 52 been playing just over a year and like you whish i would have started years ago  i luv guiTar and singing and listen to other players at all levels let no talants go un used

Let no talents go unused

Welcome to Chordie Oldman!!!!

There is no set place you "should" be at. If you're progressing then it's all good. Like you said, everyone is different. Keep trying new things. Most important is keep at it.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

You sound like you found chordie at the right time. As other have mentioned, you are where y ou need to be.  I will +1 on what Zurf has said.  Playing with ppl is probably the best motivator and learning tool ever.

Definatly look for the skype invites. loads of fun from your own room.  As to the barr chords, I am one of the few fdew h\who started o an electric and learned my barr chords at the same time as my open chords . Heavy Rock is built on power chords and they can be very pretty acoustically also.

just keep it up.
Beamer.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Welcome here,and have a good time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'm self taught as well. Started with a chord chart and a few books of songs. There was no such thing as YouTube when I started learning in the late 70's. If you can put a few songs out and enjoy what you're doing, you're right where you need to be.

The first song I learned to play, and play well was Down on the Corner by CCR. I wasn't really sure how it sounded to others until another player said to me: "Don't try to play it like someone else, make it your own." It did me a world of good and gave me a shot of confidence that spurred me on to learn more and not be worried if it didn't sound exactly like the original artist.

Hi everyone... I seem to be in the same boat as most... 56 yrs and playing (seriously) for a year or so.... Just come back from a 10 day break in New Orleans/Memphis and Nashville... took everything in and now I am hooked on music. I'm writing, performing, learning and developing all the time on a daily basis... I went to a mic night, but was told I wasn't allowed to do covers, so I went to another and was told I wasn't allowed to use words on stage... so I host my own now... and although I struggle to sound as proficient as my peers, I know that I'm improving. I also use Justin... he's great along with Marty.com and several other UK teachers... I subscribed to RGT in the UK and got my grade 5 (distinction) last earlier this year. I know I'm blowing my trumpet here, but i just wanted to say that yu can get to any level and still want more... but as long as you love what you're doing and you're not hurting anyone, then just go ahead and do it. I have a blog on andyknightmusic.com (not a very good one) but I like to stay ahead of the game and keep up with the young ones:-) ... ah well, back to my guitar practise

"Old Man" I hit 73 last week and I am still learning, been picking since I was 16 and professionally over 50 years music is a lifetime journey and you can never know everything just enjoy playing with other people that's where the fun is smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Welcome to the very best journey one can have. I started at 45 or so. I'm not very good but I love it and it brings joy to my life. And that's enough for me.
dj

Welcome, Andy. I see that you have been going back in time and reading the old posts. This thread started in March of this year. No matter as the old threads are just as good a read as the new posts. I played guitar as a young teenager, 13 / 14 years, then quit for a short period. I restarted again at the tender age of 54 when I discovered my wife could sing. I mostly sit at home and play a tune or two through out the day and we play out with a group 2 nights a month. You're never too old start learning as long as you have the passion and desire.

Nela

Welcome Oldman. As you can see we've all been on a lifelong journey, learning all the way. Sounds like you have the drive and dedication to take you a long way down this path. That's what it takes drive dedication, devotion and the love of music. I agree you are where you should be with your skills. You will progress when you feel ready for the next step. You progress every day you pick up your instrument. Sounds like you've come along way in a short amount of time. be proud of what you've accomplished and continue the journey.

Joe

Just set small goals for yourself and practice a lot to achieve those goals. Your sound like you are doing great. And try not to get bogged down on one thing and lose interest. Keep pushing yourself

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.