Topic: Back from a "BLACK HOLE"

Well, it looks like I'm finally back from a huge Black Hole. After many, many days, lots of e-mails to ADMIN and searching for ways to contact other Chordie members I can now log on to this forum and help all ya'll solve the WORLD"S problems. It all started when my old laptop crashed. I didn't think much about this as I had another laptop that I was not using and I had saved most of my files to thumb drives prior to the old one going down. The old laptop was a Windows Vista and the new one was a Windows 7. All my saved files worked so I thought, no problem. I downloaded my AOL and was back on line so I thought no problem. I tried to get logged in to the "forums" I normally visit and that was when the problems started. None of my passwords would work - ANYWHERE! On all the forums I was trying to log into I went to the sign in area and clicked on the "Forgot Password" link to get a new password. They would not work and I still could not get logged in. Finally, after many attemps to use new passwords the various ADMIN"S had to manually insert a password for me to log in with. From there I had to go to "My Profile" and change the password to one of my  choosing.  Chordie was the last forum for me to get signed into. ADMIN sent me several different new passwords that wouldn't work then I spent many days trying to contact ADMIN with no reponse. I then went and tried to register for a new Chordie account and that did not work. I didn't have any contact information for any other Chordie members, so that did not work. I tried checking the PROFILE page of other Chordie members but there was nothing there that I could use to contact anyone. Nothing I tried would work. During all this I was trying to contact ADMIN, was being sent new passwords to use, being directed to a link to activate the password, getting to that page and getting someone elses profile page. Very furstrating. Finally I found an old e-mail from Deadstring and good old Al made a post to the MODS for them to help me. Last night I was sent a new password that worked and I'm back. Al, thanks for making the post and ADMIN, thanks for working with me to get this problem solved.

NELA

Now my printer won't work and I can't get the drivers to download.

Re: Back from a "BLACK HOLE"

Geez.  I'm sorry you had such a hard time.  I saw the message in the Moderator forum, but by the time I saw it Roger Guppy had already helped you out. 

I've been having quite the time this week with my wife's computer.  It got a virus that switched off the virus protection software and the floodgates opened.  I did all I could and it still wouldn't work.  A friend offered to help and did.  But she still couldn't get it to boot up.  Her husband diagnosed a driver conflict with the built-in mouse and a Windows update.  Holy crow, I never would have figured that out.  So, a case of beer and several sleepless nights later, her computer is up and running.

How's your heart? 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I know how you guys are feeling. I have a new computer with Windows 8. I absolutely hate it. I can't use any of my CD booklet making programs. For me that's big income during the summer months. And after 3 months I still can't get them to work. I have a Handy Share video program that worked fine on XP and very easy to use  and upload to youtube. Microsoft Movie Maker hijacked that program and now I can't upload anything to youtube. It tells me editing is not complete. But it won't help direct me to complete the editing.  Very frustrating !  I'm not the brightest computer mind but I have been able to use all these programs in the past. I even have notes to help me through seldom used programs and they all worked on XP. I'm at the point where I want to dump all my computer stuff. I just can't be without my Chordie. It's my last island of hope.
Sorry for venting.

Joe

Glad your back Nela. I would be lost if I couldn't have my daily Chordie fix. Whenever I have computer problems I have to call my daughter for help. I'm a total goober when it comes to modern technology, I live by the bigger hammer theory, "if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer". My wife thinks its funny that whenever I get on the computer the first thing I do is log into Chordie.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Zurf, the heart is still beating, although it got to beating faster and faster with all the troubles I had getting back to the forum. I'm still suffering from A-Fib and that is causing my heart to flucuate quite a bit. I have good days and bad days.

Joe, like you, I'm learning that Windows 7 and 8 is a lot tougher operating system than Vista and XP. I still haven't discovered all the programs that are not working but I know I got some more suprises coming.

Unless any of ya'll have had this issue there is no way anyone can contact a person, MOD or Admin to discuss this type of problem. If I hadn't gone thru my list of "Sent" e-mails and found an old one to Deadstring (Al) I would still be in the "Black Hole". After I got in touch with Deadstring and asked him to make a post to the MODS for help it was Roger to the rescue.

Nela

Just glad your back my friend.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

good too see you are back Nela.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Computers are never easy. There's always something going wrong. Glad you got it sorted out.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back NELA and glad to hear you are on the road to recovery!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Ditto to All the above

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Great to have you back with us and lucky that you had Deadstring's e-mail address to put out a distress call for you. Lesson to be learnt here, always make sure you have a fellow Member's contact details in case of emergency.

Glad to hear you are on the mend health wise too.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Good to read your post NELA ... welcome back.

Tyson: I also got a new laptop just before Christmas with Windows 8 on it. It is a very clumsy O/S, and reminds me of the show "Survivor" when trying to find anything. And we won't even talk about how unfriendly it is to a LOT of software and drivers ... what an ordeal to just get the printer working!

TF, I don't know what I done but I just got my printer to work. For day's I tried to download the printer drivers from HP only to be told there were errors or drivers not available. Got up this morning, plugged in the USB cable to the printer and it started to print. I have no clue how this happened.

Roger, again, many thanks for the help in getting me back on the forum. Also, you are right - without Deadstrings e-mail I don't think I'd been able to get back to this forum. The new passwords that ADMIN sent would not work, I could not register for a new account - nothing I done would allow me access to chordie. If ya'll will look at the post you made under your location address you will see (in blue) "E-Mail". This is so other members can send a private massage to each other. Also, if you will click on your NAME you will go to your profile page, again you can see (in blue) "E-mail". If you are not logged in this does not work. So there I was thinking I had on dirty drawers and nobody wanted to come out and play with me. Maybe we need to establish some sort of emergency contact between members so this kinda thing can ve avoided.

NELA

Nela I have rogers  and a couple other members names and e-mail's written down just in case something like this happens.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'm glad you are back NELA!  So happy Roger was able to straighten it out for you, and that Deadstring's old email was in there and he contacted us to get you back on track!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Welcome back!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic