Topic: Traditional Folk night

Last  night  I  went  to  a  traditional  folk club at  the Moorcock  inn  Blacko  in Pendle .Interesting  night   I  had not  played  un amplified  publically for  a  very  long  time . The  club operate  a  music  in the  round  format  where  every  one  sits  around  the  room and songs are  played  in turn ,the members  are  of  mixed  ability but  very  supportive  of  each other and  give  encouragement  to any one  who  wants  to  sing  or  play. It was  great  to  join in last night  and  I  will  certainly  visit  again  when back  in the  uk . I  would  recommend  anyone  visiting  the  area  to make  the  trip  to the  Moorcock  on a  Tuesday  night  where  Jamey  and  the  rest  of  the  club will give  a  warm welcome .

Re: Traditional Folk night

Sounds like the chordie style  weather on skype or at chordiestock.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

ya it does sound alot like the people here who do the skype nights.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Tell me  more  about the  Skype  nights  I'm a  bit  clueless as  to  what  happens  ,Is  Skype  not  just  one  to  one   can it  be  like  a  conference  call?

Yes you can have a conference call on Skype but, because of the time delay in transmission, only one person can play at a time, However if you turn your mic off it is possible to play along with someone else smile.

Great fun and well overdue for us having another session.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Man, that's how I love playing!  I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself Grah1.  That's the kind of back porch picking, or picking around a campfire that makes the music real.  It's not something that somebody special way out there does in a studio, but stuff your neighbors and friends and uncles and aunts can do right there beside you.  It changes everything!

All of my early encouragement came from those kinds of circle jams.  Dirty Ed and a couple other talented friends wouldn't let me stop, and wouldn't let me sit out even when I was just months into playing.  It's a wonderful way to have fun, and a wonderful way to encourage others. 

My laptop's screen broke, so I am now using it as a desktop "engine" to power a big 24" monitor.  The only issue with that is that the camera was in the laptop lid.  So I'll have to get a new camera for Skype, I guess.  That seems like it ought to be easy enough.  Let's do it, and make sure Grah1 and Roger can sit in!!!  Oh, and KAP54.  I love his original story songs.  If we time it well enough, I may be able to get Jets60 to come by my place and we can share my office.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

7 (edited by mekidsmom 2014-03-27 18:45:44)

Yeah, I still need to see if my tablet can handle a group call or not on Skype.  Last time I tried it only worked one on one.  If not, I may have to convince Jim to sign in on his laptop, or buy a webcam.  smile  I'm busy this Saturday and next though.  JEFF????  Friday? Sunday? Next week, Friday? Sunday?  wink

Edit... I might actually be available next week on Saturday too!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I  go  back  to  Greece   on Tuesday  and  its  likely  to  be  a  week  before  I  get   the  internet  back  on at  home   but  I'll  see if  it  can be  hurried

I can host pretty much any weekend if there is interest. If the "euro's" are going to be joining in, its typically better for them to have an earlier start. (Crete is 6 hours ahead of me I believe). Even if I am busy and have to run out, I can set it up and let it run. So Grah - Roger are you interested Saturday or Sunday? Name a time. Kap?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

10 (edited by Grah1 2014-03-27 21:26:12)

probably  a  sunday   would  be  better  for  me    but  I  am flexible I  can probably  get  a  few  of  the Sitia guys  who  aren't  on Chordie up  to  my  place   to  join in as  well .

I'll have to bow out this weekend,relatives coming in from BC so my time will be booked between them and recording. Keep me posted on the next one for sure. Hopefully I can re-hook the skype program without problems.

Have a good jam smile

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

This  could  become  an international on line  folk club  or  an "open" Skype  night

Grah1,
Your experience sounds perfect if not magical. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Dj

No good for me this weekend.  I've got plans both Saturday and Sunday.  Though Sunday's plans aren't until the evening, they require that I not enjoy the sorts of refreshments the adults generally prefer during these events.  I'm up for future weekends.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude