Topic: what am i doing wrong -- strings squeal while sliding up and down nec

i know i must be doing something wrong.  my strings squeal loudly when i slide my hand up and down the neck for barre cords.  am i using the wrong strings?  (martin sp medium)?  should i raise my fingers off the fretboard when moving from chord to chord?  no one has ever explained this to me properly.

Re: what am i doing wrong -- strings squeal while sliding up and down nec

Mmmmmm
I love the sound of string squeek. It's very very common.
In fact in a lot of acoustic songs the squeek becomes part of the music. I love it. If you listen carefully to some recordings of your favourite acoustic songs you can bet your strings there's a bit of squeek in there.

I find that it is louder with newer strings and it fades a bit after a bit. Don't be afraid of it.

Some players very lightly oil their strings. Don't ask me what kind of oil they use; I don't know.

Embrace the squeek!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

A touch of baby powder on your chording hand will greatly reduce finger to string friction (squeeking).

Give everything but up.

thanks

Your dragging your fingers when you change chords thats whats causing the squeeking sound. I just seen my friend play some classical guitar and when he changed his chord even my wifey commented "you see he picks up his fingers when he changes chords". (she don't play guitar she does notice when I drag my fingers).

Hope this helps.

Bootlegger.

For example listen to some of Claptons unplugged live recordings of Tears in heaven and you'll hear your in the company of the best...

/Missen

If you love what you do, there's no need to be good at it...

friendz
can u tell about the prices of aqua strings u find there?
u wil be surprised to know in India generally strings are found at low costs resulting in poor quality
a set of 6 strings can be available 80 rupees whereas 45 rupees= 1 us dollar

i live only to discover beauty. all else is a form of waiting

Hi Krishanu!
In Sweden a standard set (lowest quality available) costs around 80 Swedish crowns (approx 10 USD) and is of fully acceptable quality.

The D'addigo set I use is high class but not top notch and costed me approx 35 USD.

This is quite an interesting topic, maybe you should make it a seperat thread in the forum.

/Missen

If you love what you do, there's no need to be good at it...

if it really bothers you losen up your grip between changes you can also buy flat wound strings and that will also help

always pickin someting