Topic: hellllllp please!

Ok. I am fairley new to playing a electric guitar. I am learning all the chords but i am still getting used to them. One thing i am having trouble with is finger placement. When i strum i usually dont have my fingers placed right. That messes up my song and i get really angery. Another thig is that the tips of my fingers are worn out because i have been practicing so much and idea on how i can prevent this? thanx so much

Re: hellllllp please!

Think of your guitar playing as shooting pool(billiards) .Don't put as much thought into what you are doing in the here and now, but instead think of the next chord you wish to play. Thinking ahead will help you tremendously.

As far as your fingers being worn out ,callouses will build on your fingertips in time. A quick fix solution for you now is a few dabs of superglue on your fingertips. Careful to let them completely dry before you go touching anything.

Good luck and enjoy your guitar playing adventure.

Give everything but up.

I agree with SouthPaw.  Playing guitar is like creating a painting.  It takes time to get it right.  What you're going through is completely normal, and all of us have gone through it.  Finger placement on the strings will become easier with practice.  Be sure to cradle the neck with your fingers instead of just "grabbing" it with your hand.  When holding a chord, placing your fingers closer to the fret bars will help reduce the amount of pressure needed to get a clear sound. 

I guess I should also ask about your guitar.  Have you had your guitar set-up correctly?  A well-set up guitar will make your practice and learning easier.  Regarding the callouses, they are the necessary evil when you play.  However, the pain does subside as you play more often.  If your fingers are raw, rest them for a few days, so the callouses can form. 

The bottom line here is practice and play slow!  Getting a clear sound from a chord or note is more important than completing a song.  Be repetitious with the songs you play.  Once you've mastered a song, then try to master another. 

Good Luck and welcome.

well my guitar isnt that great. my mom bought it for me for christmas and its a first act guitar. Im saving up money for a new 1 but which one would you perfer in my situation. hopefully one thats not so much $$$$

My first guitar some 25 or so years ago was an acousic/electric Epiphone. There's a $99.00  acoustic Epiphone  on the market now that I recommend to my beginner students(I teach guitar) Ultimately though, the guitar you are seeking is compeletly up to you. Go to your local music store and play as many different guitars as you can. You'll know when you find the "right" one. Be sure and play them yourself though because a really good player can sale a really bad guitar.

Give everything but up.

My first guitar was an ALvarez acoustic. I found it to be a wonderful begginer guitar, it cost me about $120 and it was well worth it, I've had it for 2 years and I still take it to parties and family get togethers. (i recently got a new acoustic) It's got great sound and is pretty sturdy (I'll admit to dropping it a few times) I highly reccomend it!

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

xunderOathxxSaosinx93 wrote:

well my guitar isnt that great. my mom bought it for me for christmas and its a first act guitar. Im saving up money for a new 1 but which one would you perfer in my situation. hopefully one thats not so much $$$$

Don't feel bad, my first guitar was a first act ME480 that my wife got for me on my 30th birthday.
Since then I have bought at Yamaha cl-112. I still have my first act though, I play around with alternate tunings on it.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

the next time i get a chance i will head down to the music store. now im trying to learn everything i need to know about playing songs. any thinkgs i need to know befor i can actually play a song write.

i cant read music all i can really play is the chords but i have no idea which fret to play. thats all i need help with now.