Topic: Song Editor's Discussion Group

Hello everybody interested in using the 'correct song' utility at the bottom of chordie song pages.  Personally, I enjoy the challenge of improving (hopefully) what appears on the screen. 

If you also feel the need to correct and improve songs on chordie, this would be a place to share tips and ideas.  The ability to edit and improve songs is a marvelous feature and I would like to encourage more users to take advantage of this opportunity.

I just 'improved' "Don't Stop Believin" by Journey.
Here is a link to the hopefully corrected version that I have posted:
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … ;id=500765

I chose this song because it was recently featured prominently in the final scene of 'The Sopranos'.  Although the original is very elaborate with lots of synth and effects, I decided to see how it would sound 'solo'.  It actually makes for a very nice acoustic song . . .

Anyway, seems to me that the 'Top 100 Songs' list would be a great place to start a concerted effort to correct and improve chordie's massive index.

If you are already correcting songs (or if you would like to learn how to correct songs), this topic thread can be a resource.   James McCormick

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: Song Editor's Discussion Group

O.K.....why I change songs from their original posted format....
Right off the bat, I want to make it clear that I don't feel that I am in any way "improving" on what the original poster has submitted and I'm a tad uncomfortable with the "Correct Song" description.
My intent, when editing a posted song, is to save it in a format that more closely matches how *I* hear the song in my head when I think about it. To suggest that I am "correcting" a post would, for me anyways, be the height of arrogance.
I'm one of those guys who will never in a million years, be able to memorise the chords for all the songs I know in my head.
What I do here, is find a song I like in a format that is as close to how I hear it as possible, then save it to my songbook and bring it as close to what I hear as possible with the editing tool provided by Chordie. Once I've saved it to my songbook, I can then print it out and add it to my growing collection of printed material.
Some songs are fully edited, with chords listed for every verse (and that is the ultimate goal for every song) and some just have one verse and one chorus set with chords....usually songs that are easier to play and do not require having the chords visible for playback.
Anyway....I do it so that I can play them more easily in the future, rather than fumbling through chords that don't sound quite right or timing that is just a tad off to my ear. I published my songbook purely because I hoped that people might give me a bit of feedback....either a "Right-On Dude...you nailed it!" , or, the much more likely "Geez man, you really live up to your Screen-Name!...What the Heck were you thinking!?!?!".
I'm always hoping to fine-tune the songs I have and welcome any and all suggestions.

What I *don't* get, is why people publish songbooks that are nothing more than compilations of songs I could find simply by searching Chordie to begin with.
It seems to me, that a songbook should reflect not only your personal tastes, but how you hear the songs you have included in it and, as such, the songs included should have at least some of yourself in them...i.e. a couple of chords that are different or in addition to the original post.
Of course, that's just me......maybe everybody in the world hears songs exactly the same way and I'm the only one hearing them differently which would explain the high edit percentage in my songbook versus the norm.
Can you tell it's late and has been a long week?
Anyways, that brings me to another thought...I think it would be great (for me anyways) if there was an option to search songbooks based on the percentage edited along with the ratings and date posted. I pretty much do that already, as I pass by new books that show 0 editing and always check into books that show a higher percentage of edited songs.
It just says to me that this songbook has actually had some thought and effort put into it.
I may not hear the songs the same way the poster does, but I definitely recognise and appreciate the effort.
Cranky Old, Quitting Smoking Guy  AKA Tunedeaf

I take it James means improve the transcription rather than improve the song

Theres lots of songs (especially 80's rock/alt) with very partial transcriptions - just the intro or solo but no chords or lyrics

I am in two minds as whether to expand and post to a tab site or take up James suggestion here and correction the record at Chordie 

which would be most helpful

I have to say that I agree with Tunedeaf. I see little point in a songbook that is merely a collection from the indexed songs. All it shows is someone's taste in music. I want to see songs with the chords listed all the way through as it is very difficult to play unless you already know it, there is a lot of 'chaff' in most of the indexed songs and some do have errors in that need correcting.

I stopped looking in the public songbooks for a long time until Pere gave us an "edited" option so I can now sort the songbooks by the amount of editing that has been done. I now find the songbooks a useful reference and I will be adding to mine as soon as I have the time.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Good Lord am I obtuse!
I asked Pere months ago about the possibility of making percentage edited a sort criteria for the public books.
He responded at the time that it would be a difficult process to put in place and, for me anyway, that was the end of it.
Every time I come to Chordie I still go to the public books, but I sort them by ranking and haven't even looked at the sort options in longer than I can remember.
Roger's post made me slam on the breaks, go to the public books and actually *look* at the sort options.
Thanks Roger and Pere! I'm gonna go and see what searching by percentage edited gets me!
Tunedeaf