1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-08-11 14:01:59)

Topic: Another Close Call

Friday evening I was practicing on the acoustic, and had it skid off my lap towards the floor. Somehow my old goaltender reflexes kicked in, and I was able to catch it on top of my feet so it didn't hit the floor. That's the second time this year that this has happened, so something had to be done. I zipped down to Long & McQuade's, picked up two new econo straps & straplocks, and now have all of my guitars strapped. For the small cost of this purchase, I'll be content knowing that future drops are almost impossible.

Not a big deal I guess, but just had to tell y'all. If your prized instruments aren't strapped and you're anywhere near as clumsy as I am, please make the small investment to avoid the expense of damage, the loss of a good friend, and the sheer terror of watching one them hurtle towards the floor.

Re: Another Close Call

instead  of  strap locks   we  use  the rubber  washer  off  an empty  Grolsh beer bottle   they  just  slip  over  the  strap button and  hold  the  strap  in  place   works  great   cost  nothing . I'll post  a  pic later .

3 (edited by Grah1 2014-08-11 14:50:14)

This  shows  the  idea  better

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/1524624_680556805366075_3325009668564121866_n.jpg

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-08-11 15:45:27)

Cool idea, Graham!

The locks I now have on all my guitars are these cheapies, which actually work very well and are easy to remove without turning screws in and out of the guitar body and loosening the hole in the wood:

http://www.long-mcquade.com/5869/Guitar … ap_Lok.htm

I'm also not a beer drinker, so needing 10 locks in all (5 bottles of brewskie) would cost me more in wasted beer than the caps would be worth. A lot of you would likely declare war on me for dumping out good ale!

5 (edited by Grah1 2014-08-11 16:56:23)

May be there are  suitable  washers  in  a  hardware  store   for  a  few  cents I  scrounged  these  off friends .
The other thing that makes me cringe is when I see guys just plugging their lead in with out first threading it over the strap .The number of times I've seen them step on the lead and pull it out mid solo ..........did it my self a few times till I learned ..lol

Yep. I've got strap locks on my babies.

the chordie geordie

For the non-drinkers: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew … skets.html

Done that too, Graham!

Just having the lead hanging there isn't good for them either. I generally prefer the L-shaped ones at the guitar end, and then clip the cord to that little loop on the strap lock to take the pressure off the cord ... a simple twist tie will work, or there are small plastic clips that'll work. It also keeps it out of the way of my clumsy feet.

That's a real good idea grah,I dropped my Gibson 175  about 14 years ago and it Broke it the neck.never couldget it fixed. A pro collector bought it of me for cheap.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I use the cheap ones  on the counter in a jar LOLOL they are plastic and you just twist them closed.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Try using the plastic tabs that come with a loaf of sandwich bread. They work just fine.

Nela