Topic: Longest Day

Today is the longest day of the year - the hours spent just before leaving on an adventure.  In about 10 hours my son and two of my old friends are leaving Ohio for a 5-day float fishing trip on the Salmon and Snake rivers in Idaho/Oregon/Washington. We're launching from Hammer Creek on the Lower Salmon River in Idaho and floating through Green,Blue and Snow Hole Canyons on the Salmon before entering Hell's Canyon on the Snake River and taking out at Heller Bar in Washington. The trip will take us through the deepest canyons in North America. My son will be floating with me in my raft while Doug and Mike will be in Doug's raft. We've studied river maps, inflated/deflated the rafts, added extra D-rings and clips for dry bags, checked rods, reels, line and lures, arranged camping gear, etc over-and-over during the last couple weeks and finally the day has arrived to begin our trip.

We'll spend a week roaming the Tetons and Yellowstone and Glacier parks before we launch our rafts for the float. We're expecting some cool evenings while camping as the weather predictions for the Tetons is mid 30's at night. The last time I rowed my raft in Idaho (5 years ago) the trip produced some new songs and I'm hoping the road trip and float will inspire me to pen some new tunes, plus I'll have a couple weeks of Chordie posts to peruse and a lot of catching up to do when I return.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Longest Day

Sounds like your all set for a wonderful adventure.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I love the sound of some of the place names, but I'm not sure about Hells Canyon and Snake River. Sounds a bit scary to me. Have a great time.

Thick as two short planks

Hell's Canyon through the Snake river is awesome.  I'm planning on fishing out there a little later in the year.

Good luck!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

A trip like that is going to take one heck of a lot of beer. 

Good luck, tight lines, stay safe. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Wow ... sounds like a heck of an adventure, Ed! Have a blast and keep one another safe. If our Fall season for Atlantic Salmon wasn't about to begin (Sept 1) I'd be trying to find a way to join y'all. Looking forward to your stories and pics of the trip.

7 (edited by dino48 2014-08-30 00:25:29)

keepitreal wrote:

I love the sound of some of the place names, but I'm not sure about Hells Canyon and Snake River. Sounds a bit scary to me. Have a great time.

we all hope you will not meet up with a toothless bango player and any mountain men up there have a great time ed.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sounds like one Hell of a trip! Is there a separate raft for the beer? Hope you all have a really great time...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

9 (edited by unclejoesband 2014-08-31 00:00:49)

dino48 wrote:

we all hope you will not meet up with a toothless bango player and any mountain men up there have a great time ed.

Now that's funny. smile 

Have a great time DE.