Topic: Reflections on Songs and Artists that make you think

My daughter gave me a Sirius Radio this past Christmas and I use it a lot on my commute to and from work. It sure does help to make the hour each way seem to fly by (sometimes). Lately, I've been listening to channel 30, the Coffee House, which is their Singer/Songwriter and Acoustic Rock channel. Many of the songs I hear will catch my attention and make me pause from where ever my mind is at to consider the lyrics or message or what the artists are trying to express. A few of these artists who have captured my 'ears' are Melissa Etheridge, Darden Smith, the Indio Girls, Damien Rice,...the list goes on and on and new ones are popping up all the time. I've started to collect some of these on my newest song book (Jets63) if you want to take a look. One song that stands out in my mind is Satisfied by Darden Smith which is unfortunately not yet on chordie. The song sums up something I've come to believe about how loving someone over time beats hands down all those imagined perfect partners. Darden mentions "Elvis back in '62" and "Marilyn in '63" as individuals whom people could think about as their ultimate fantasy. Anyway that's just one of many songs that make me think. Do any of you others Chordie members have songs that have Captured your Ears  as well?

Cheers

Jeff/jets

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Reflections on Songs and Artists that make you think

so, so many. I agree with you on the acoustic/cafe sounding songs being able to do this more than most other genres. Damien Rices' Amie is one of the sweetest songs I ever heard. I also love songs that are instrumental guitar. I have a lot of respect for people who can speak emotions and ideas through their guitar, and I can't wait to be able to do that myself. I know someone on chordie has a jimi hendrix quote "blues is easy to play, but hard to feel" which is so true. coffee house music is very emotional and full of heart, you have to be able to connect with the music you're playing in order to get the audience to connect with you. Music, and guitar definately have the ability to speak emotions, its the musicians' job to channel their emotions through their music.

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

I THINK I WAS INFLUENCED BY WHAT MY PARENTS LIKED AND THE ROCK N ROLL ERA OF THE 60'S ,70'S FROM WHICH I WAS BROUGHT UP ,CAUSE ALL THE RAP AND BOOM BOOM MUSIC TODAY MAKES ME PHYSICALLY SICK ,BECAUSE IT IS PLAYED TOO LOUD TO ENJOY IT .
I LIKE TO LISTEN TO CLASSIC GOLD GEM OVER HERE IT PLAYSA WIDE VARIETY OF MUSIC AND SONGS TO SUIT ALL AGES .

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

I love this question. My mother tongue is DUTCH, but I speak fluently 4 languages and another 2 pretty well. I write this, being 50 years old, that when I was about 20, 30 years, I just listened to the music and not the lyrics or words.
The song with the BIGGEST effect on me, it hit me like a cannonball was, after I had an affair with a super model, we even planned to move to South Africa, when that affair saw daylight. It is a period
in my life, speaking of 1988, that I want to forget, but I still think, strange enough not about her, but about the time we had each other. The song was DON'T FORGET TO REMEMBER written and performed by the Bee Gees.
What I can see very clearly now, is that youngsters, like my daughter, 20 years old, was singing at the age of 5, the COMPLETE LYRICS of the guns and roses hit: KNOCKING ON HEAVENS DOOR.
So maybe I am speaking for a lot of older people here, you have to admit that, except for MTV, there are a lot of music stations, and even more on Television. They learned to "mimic" the lyrics and to understand them.
Now I try to listen to the words, and I still see a lot of songs with stupid lyrics, and sometimes it is funny to translate them in my language, like: baby I miss you so, because I loved you so, the sun was shining, now it's raining. That's the kind of songs you will still find in 75%.
For super good lyrics, Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young), and a lot more, recent artists too.
But what is your point of making, playing, composing songs: lyrics followed by music, or music followed by lyrics.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi everyone.  Great question.  For me the answer has changed as I have grown older.  In my early 20's I was sort of like Phil, the sound of the music and lyrics about partying were the only things that mattered to me.  In my late 20's agnst period, I could relate to bands like Everclear and Nirvana, we all seemed to have the same collective chip on our shoulders.  Now in my 40's those songs that reflect the "not old yet but getting there" mentality are the ones I'm relating to.  "Heart of Gold" by Neil Young and "Kite" by U2 are two that come to mind.

6 (edited by bootleger 2007-07-19 02:46:16)

Hard question because it is hard to listen to a song objectively for me. If the guitar player does not catch my ear then I don't listen although if the band is tight and all the musicians are good then I will listen. I currently have about 1600 cd's, 200 cassette tapes and 350 albums in the house. I also produce for a D.J. in my spare time.  So I listen to a lot of rock & roll, classic rock, funk, disco, r&b, soul, hair metal, blues, not in that order but in general.  What really catches me is a musician who pours out heart & soul and it reflects in their playing.

Bootlegger.

hi booteger,

What an answer you gave          reallly impressing

i live only to discover beauty. all else is a form of waiting

Dear friend "boot", I know you are a very nice person and always giving advise (very wise too).
I know that if I have, knowing my condition, an occasion to go to the USA, I will certainly try to contact you. There are others too. Always ready to answer questions and to give advise and even solutions.That's what  I try to do also, and answering questions, and posting new topics.
I have, as you know all the time in the world since I stopped working, and I am so glad that I have found this site, and especially to see that a lot, you know I baptised the members into "chordians", because I love this word.
Those CD's and tapes, are they from musicians? And if, it must be very hard sometimes.
You know that I like to post "facts", I have a few new facts, and I will post them.
I also know that there are things like a "quiz" about music, and I love the responses, because there are a lot of facts that no one believe, or at least they are hard to believe.
But I think that a lot of facts are read and the things I write about this topics are 100% correct.

This topic, reflections on songs, is also a nice one. It is more difficult than I thought to give an answer so I answered the first song that popped up. Of course the more I or You think, the more you will find. And as I wrote, English is not my mother tongue, so our generation, of course more in Europe, we listened MORE to the music, than to the lyrics.
Boot, have a nice day, and talking about guitars, do you MAKE guitars too?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I have liked punk music and rock music from about 10 years old. There was no influences in my house as no one really listened to music. I like the music because of the lyrics, anti establishment and real hings that happen in the world on te punk side really got me interested in lyrics.
The rock side of things I was influenced by a friends uncle with ac dc highway to hell album, made me want to jump about mad to the music.
I have also liked folk music from aout 14 or 15, again, mostly the lyrics I love, the words mostly are so meaningful. Lots of the music has the same riffs I tihnk but the lyrics are what make it a great sog.
with these genres of music my own songs turn out sometimes in a punky/folky/rocky sort of way.

for new bands lately???? hmmm, I dont eally get into any new bands, well apart from one, the arctic monkeys. These boys are superb at their lyrics and the bass linesare cool too. Their first album "whatever people say I am , I',m not" is all about young lads going out clubbing for the weekend and how they pick up a girl, get chased by he police feel so bad an mixed in is some imagination. they quite righly won some sort of awrd for this album and their second album has been nominated for the same award ( not that I think much of these crappy show excuse award things) and I think they should win this too for "my favourite worst nightmare"

Hmm, thats it

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

He doesn't make me think.  And if he did, he'd nearly always have missed the point of his kind of music, but I like the way Jimmy Buffett turns a phrase. 

I like singer song-writers.  Before we had kids my wife and I used to enjoy going to pubs to hear local artists.  I really enjoy hearing someone put places I know and activities I've done into song.  One of my river buddies does as good a job as any and far better than most at this endeavor, but unless you happen to sit around campfires alongside rivers in the Blue Ridge you're unlikely ever to have heard of him.  And if you have done it, you've probably met him at one time or another. 

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude