Topic: custom fret inlays

does anyone know where i can send in my own guitar and have custom inlays put into a guitar I already own?please tell if you know

only dead fish go with the flow cool - Rockin Gecko

Re: custom fret inlays

I just googled up this site:
http://www.customluthier.com/cgi-bin/st … vices.html

Seems like they can help and can work from your sketches.
Seems like it would also be pricey, but worth it to get the decorative doodads of your dreams - sort of like a custom tatoo for your instrument (but less painful?).

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

That is the sight I would have sent her to James.

Rockin gecko you will find that custom inlays for your guitar will either be about half the cost of your guitar (this is for the material precut to your design and does not include installation). To have the design put on an existing guitar the labor alone to cut new inlays, take out your existing one's, take off the frets, reroute and glue ,fill, finish sand and refret your neck would double the cost of your guitar. That's just for new inlays. 

Save your money for your dream guitar and have the neck built to your spec's (wood's, neck shape & finger board radius) you'll still pay a price but it will be cheaper in the long run.

Bootlegger.
Bootlegger guitars

Wow - major surgery . . . to say nothing of being without the instrument while the work is being done.  The idea of having the neck built to incorporate the design seems sensible.

Maybe the same inlay design done as a tattoo wouldn't be nearly as costly and should fit just about right between wrist and elbow?  On the outside of the right forearm it would be nicely visable while you play.  Then, when the new guitar is built it will match nicely . . .

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I agree with the idea of buying an inleyed neck rather than surgury on your axe...check out e-bay. There are several outstanding inlay artists doing buisiness there. I bought an inlayed Les Paul for a song and it is beautifull.

I was just checking an aquantiance's website and he charges $225.00 american for a new fret board change. That does not include custom inlay.

Bootlegger.

I don't know for sure but I have been told that a lot of bling bling (fancy inlays) will compermise the sound quality. Anyone out there have the low down on that ?

what a long strange trip it's been

Dude i seriously would love my name on the twelfth fret of my jackson

Just stencil your name in there. It would look nice and you'd have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

The problem with stenciling is that if you play on the octave (12 fret) you would scratch the stencil off.  To do an inlay on a finder is quite ardoius work. You can hand carve it (only by the most skilled craftsman) and or by routing with a dremel tool with a special bit and base. Then cut out and shape them, epoxy them saving the fingerboard dust from sandind to fill any cracks that the inlay did not fill. After all that you still have to finish sand your finger board. A whole lot of work I would not even attempt to do.

Bootlegger.

11 (edited by patrickjacques 2007-07-20 13:17:16)

patrickjacques wrote:

I don't know for sure but I have been told that a lot of bling bling (fancy inlays) will compermise the sound quality. Anyone out there have the low down on that ?

Hello Mr Bootlegger, Just curious but I was wondering if you kwew the answer to my question

what a long strange trip it's been

patrickjacques wrote:
patrickjacques wrote:

Hello Mr Bootlegger, Just curious but I was wondering if you kwew the answer to my question

First of all please don't call me mister I am a regular guy, but thank you for the respect. I did see your request I just haven't had a chance to to reply (or the time).  If any loss in tone it would be minimal due to the fact that inlay's are usually 0.50" and a fret board before the radius is .250 thick. Sorry about the time.

Bootlegger.