Topic: holow body help

ok every1 i have an old Ventura holow body and i need help on what type and what size strings to use.
it would help a lot and i would have better sound
thx!

Re: holow body help

Acoustic or electric ?

electric

Hi
Typically hollow body guitars are sought after by blues or jazz players as they are unsuitable for hi gain shredding due to their feedback properties. Most of these players favor heavier guage strings to give a thicker, mid rangy sound (appologies for all the vague buzzwords to decribe the sound).

It also depends on the type of music you play. Players who bend notes alot tend to like lighter guages. Anyway I have .011s on my 335 semi hollow. I find they are fat enough for a decent tone but thin enough to bend. Why don't you start there as a reference point and work up or down from there.

The bigger the better. Careful not to 'shock' the guitar by increasing the guage of the strings to rapidly. Gradually increase the guage until you're playing heavys (.13-.56) or somewhere thereabouts.

This somewhat echoes what BeeMac said previously.

Keep in mind though with heavier guage strings what you gain in tone fullness you lose in string flexibility. It's real tough to do a full bend on your G string using these 'telephone cables' .................

Give everything but up.