Topic: The Aging of Great Guitarists

A couple of comments made about Joe Cocker got me thinking about some of my favorite guitarists all getting on as well. Here are ten favorites, and how old they are now:

Steve Howe (age 67)
Ritchie Blackmore (age 69)
Steve Hackett (age 64)
Martin Barre (age 68)
Jimmy Page (age 70)
Alex Lifeson (age 61)
David Gilmour (age 68)
Mark Knopfler (age 65)
Eric Clapton (age 69)
Brian May (age 67)

I'm not saying these are the best guitarists, but just guys that have inspired me for years to practice hard, expand my thinking, and to continually improve. And now they're all collecting Old Age Pension!

Re: The Aging of Great Guitarists

I did not realize so many were getting uo there,thanks for the info its intersting. Keith Richards looks like he is about 90 but I think he is about 70.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks for reminding me LOL I turned 73 October boo hoo but on the bright side I can still pick and Im on this side of the dirt smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Off topic a little smile
It's strange sometimes I get the feeling that Chordie's forum is just an cyber old age retirement home for ageing guitar players too. Me included lol
ark

I'm getting up there too. Probably why we all get along so well. smile

arkady wrote:

Off topic a little smile
It's strange sometimes I get the feeling that Chordie's forum is just an cyber old age retirement home for ageing guitar players too. Me included lol
ark

Arkady ... you're actually right on topic! That's exactly what was going through my head when I posted this.

OK, so I might wear dark socks and sandals once in a while - that might make me an Old Fart, but I've got 15 + years before I reach retirement!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

and another day goes by,,,,

badeye   

cool

one caper after another

arkady wrote:

Off topic a little smile
ark

and then we have the lone 47 yr old metal guy,, and I think im one of the few younger ones here LOLOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

but this also brings up a good point,, all the greats were essentially baby boomers, having grown up after WW2, to be hot as snot in the 60s and  70s.  So lets look at todays crop of hot guitarist currently out and who do you think will be around in 40 years?

I see
Satch (who really is not young himself) (aka Joe Satriani)
Steve Vi (same as above)
Eddie    (same)
Ace     (not at all young)
Jim root (over 40 but snot hot!) slip knot and stone sour

but current guys??? Im sure they are out there, but I cant lay a name to one, espically as heavy lead guitar laden songs have been out of fasion in popular radio play.  Imagaindragons??? yea right!

Hopefull guys

Synister Gates  from avgened 7fold
DARRELL ROBERTS and ZOLTAN BATHORY  from 5 finger death punch
any help now? my kids listen to everything so dont have input there.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Right you are, Beamer!

No doubt there a numerous great guitarists in their 50's, 40's, and 30's. I'm 57 myself, but apart from a couple you mention (Steve Vai, Joe Satriani) the only other "younger" guitarists that have caught my attention are John Wesley (Porcupine Tree), Bernhard Beibl (Tangerine Dream), John Petrucci (Dream Theatre), and of course Joe Bonamassa. I guess the guitarists we grew up listening to during our formative years (teens & twenties) are the ones that stick with us. And the fact that most of them still have enduring careers and are still inspiring other guitarists has to be noted.

Still, it does make a feller feel old.

I agree with Beamer and TF. Great guitar players are harder to find these days. I think the ones that stand out have that old soul and do it just for the music. One that comes to mind for me is Steve Stevens (Billy Idol's guitar player). He's 55. He played with Idol and did all that type of music for a long time (he still does), then turned a corner and got really in to Flamenco. I don't really care for it, but my point is that he wanted to expand and learn something new. you can only beat the same drum for so long before it doesn't work for you anymore. I think this is the type of person we will be talking about in another 15-20 years.

I don't know if Jack White is all that great, but he is also in this category. Mabye Dave Grohl also.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Was just reminded of this gem by Mark Knopfler and the late Chet Atkins. A line that goes with this thread is "nobody wants you when you just play guitar":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pklluASxfA

where is pete townsend?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Wikipedia says that Pete was born in 1945, so he'll be 70 this coming May.

16 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-02-02 16:21:02)

Just looking at that list up top, and noticing that many of those (some names I don't recognize) guitarists are British. Don't know what it is about you "Limeys" smile smile (< see the smileys?) but y'all tend to live longer than the rest of us for some reason. Example: Keef and Sir Paul just to name a couple.

That makes me think that those on the list will be with us for some time to come.

As for some names not on the list and who have gone on to join that rock band in the sky, add Danny Gatton to the list.

Sorry if I seem to be rambling. I've not had my meds yet. smile

Bill

Big PS: If there is (and I dearly hope so) a "Musician's Heaven" (would have said "Rock 'n Roll Heaven", but I don't want to exclude the other genres), who'd be in charge of placing which musician with which band or would it be a "rotation" kinda thing?

I'm not all that religious, preferring "Paschal's Wager" to any kind of organized religion, but it would sure be great to have Mr. Atkins teach me how to use that thumb. smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

OY.
...just a quick & dirty list:

John Cale (73) Velvet Underground (R.I.P. Lou), solo...
Robin Trower (70) Procol Harum, solo
Robert Fripp (69) King Crimson, solo, Fripp & Eno...
Rick Nielsen (68) Cheap Trick
Todd Rundgren (67) Nazz, solo, Utopia
Paul Barrére (67) Little Feat
Carlos Santana (67) Santana
Bill Nelson (66) BeBop Deluxe, Red Noise, solo
Phil Manzanera (64) Roxy Music, 801
Ace Frehley  (64) KISS, Frehley's Comet, solo
Andy Partridge (61) XTC, solo
Frank Marino (60) Mahogany Rush
Andy Gill (59) Gang of Four
Daniel Ash (57) Bauhaus, Tones on Tail, Love and Rockets
Brian Setzer (56) Stray Cats, Brian Setzer Orchestra
Cocktailsfor2 (55) The Larry Tate Experience (auxiliary member), Err Born, Ten Feet Tall

Jeebus, we ain't gettin' any younger, are we?

We can beat them just for one day
We can be heroes just for one day

RIP Bowie

That's a true "Hall of Fame" list, Cocktails ... and I'm also delighted to see your performing credentials! One guy in your list who really stands out for me is Phil Manzanera. I've always thought he was an excellent guitarist, with a style reminiscent of David Gilmour (Pink Floyd). Some of his albums (Quiet Sun, Impossible Guitars, etc.) are still amongst my favorites.

I'll be 58 in a few months, so hear you loud & clear about getting older.

I was checking out youtube last night, looking at in my opinion the best band in the world ever. The Who. Someone has made videos of live performances and edited out everything but John Entwhistle. What a powerhouse that man was. The Jimi Hendrix of bass players.Please check him out, you may not be into bass guitar, but you must admire the talent of this awesome rock leg end

Thick as two short planks

You're definitely right about Mr. Entwistle, KIR. I play bass somewhat (and poorly) and there's no doubt that a top-notch bassist raises the whole sound of a group to a higher level.