Topic: New home for Ol' Reliable

My neighbor wants to learn guitar, so Ol' Reliable is out on semi-permanent loan. He brought a bottle of The Glenlivet 15 year old scotch in exchange for an introduction to good lesson sites, and I presume down payment on future lessons. We put a fair dent in it for a Tuesday night. Now I have a hole on my rack, and I'm thinking either 12 string or The Loar acoustic archtop...

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: New home for Ol' Reliable

I thought you were pretty attached to your yamaha,I think thats the one you are talking about.I will never give mine up it is going too my sons. Mine is the fg401 yamaha and its been too good of a guitar.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

3 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-01-29 02:49:21)

Just sticking my nose in, smile. I don't know what I'll do with my axes and drums. If my grandson starts giving his gift guitar the attention it deserves, he can have all of mine, no problem, but as I stated before, he's more into "wimmen" right now and I really don't wanna be a pushy ol' Opa. My son has zero interest in playing music. He'd rather hear what passes for "Country" these days.

Maybe donate them and my drums to an inner city youth club?

I just don't want them sold. I'd like to have a little control over what happens to them. We live about 35 miles east of Atlanta, so I know there's gotta be some youth organizations who might like to have them. Right? smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

So what are you going to take on your camping trips now?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Zurf wrote:

I'm thinking either 12 string or The Loar acoustic archtop...

Go with the 12 string.

If the weather gods are with me, I plan to bring my Alvarez 12 string along to Florida next month. You can get hooked. smile

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-01-29 10:39:57)

Don't know what's "missing" from your arsenal, Zurf, but I know I use my 12-string more than I anticipated when I bought it.

I know you're an angler, so I'll equate a 12-string to my 10' 7wt fly rod. It isn't the "go to" rod, but when casting big Dahlbergs and Sneaky Petes to smallmouth bass in structure, it's the best tool for the job.

Ol' Reliable is my Yamaha. It's a good guitar, but I don't play it. Instruments should be played. I bought a Breedlove OM Retro from Dirty Ed a few years ago that's my travel and campfire guitar.

12 string is looming large. I have a dreadnought that likes my finger picking, the Breedlove is a good all around guitar, and I have an electris SG knockoff that I'm beginning to use to learn lead and blues, so a 12 string would fit nicely as a strummer.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I agree with the 12 string. Get a good quality model, get a good set-up, the right strings and you'll find it is hard to put down. Since I got my K Yairi D52 12 string I hardly ever play anything else. Read some good reviews on the Taylor 150E. But, if you can find a K Yairi - get it!

Nela

Here's another vote for the 12 string, Zurf. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Zurf,
I concur. Go with the 12. I'm hankering for one...again...still, etc.
Dj

Zurf,

You're getting sleepy. Veeeeeery sleeepy.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7565%3Dot%3E3%3B55%3D7%3A%3C%3D325%3DXROQDF%3E2838399543258ot1lsi

unclejoesband wrote:

Zurf,

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7 … 3258ot1lsi

That cracked me up,I am still laughing!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

unclejoesband wrote:

Zurf,

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7 … 3258ot1lsi

Is she for sale?

Uncle Joe ... that's frickin' hilarious! Great stuff!

Zurf wrote:

Is she for sale?

Not this one but I am selling my 2- 70's Epi 12 strings plus a couple others. I'm starting my Martin fund.

This is the only pic I have.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9%3B93%3Dot%3E3%3B55%3D7%3A%3C%3D325%3DXROQDF%3E28383%3A857%3A258ot1lsi

Hmmmmm. I used to have 70's Epi 6 string. It was a nice guitar.  We've been meaning to get together for some picking anyway. I wouldn't mind giving it a strum and a going over.