1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-02-20 12:25:40)

Topic: Humidifier Recommendation

Winter is firmly entrenched here, and with that comes the drying out of the air. My Larrivee has a very slight tell-tale hump at the neck joint and the accompanying string buzz, which is a sure sign that it's too dry in here. Probably my other 2 acoustics are also, although there are no symptoms yet. We have a dehumidifier which runs constantly from May - September, to maintain a 55% humidity downstairs in the humid months. It's only a one-way device, and says that we're around 35% RH right now ... too dry.

I know there are those little sound-hole humidifier gadgets, but I haven't heard many guitarists speak well of them. They seem to just be a band-aid solution. I'm sure a number of you can recommend a decent humidifier that I could put in the music room, without having to break the bank.

Recommendations, please?

Re: Humidifier Recommendation

What kind of heat do you have?

We have heated exclusively with wood for 9 years now. Early on, I never gave humidity a thought until I picked up a weather station at an auction. I quickly discovered just how dry it was in the house. Like you, I was in the 30-35% area but I was too cheap to spend money on an electric humidifier. smile

We use a fireplace insert most of the time but when we have long spells of sub-freezing temps, which we've had for 6 weeks now, it can't keep up so we fire up a small box stove in the back room. I use the old tried and true method of a pot of water on each stove. They evaporate around 3 gallons a day into the air. That raises the humidity to between 45-48% in a 1200sf house. I just can't seem to reach that 50% mark.

I don't know if any of this helps you. If you use oil or gas fired hot air, probably not. If you have a hot water boiler with radiators, you could put a pot of water on each one and it should raise your moisture level to more acceptable levels.

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-02-20 18:39:15)

Great question about heat type, Uncle Joe!

We have electric baseboards throughout, on energy-efficient, programmable thermostats for consistency. Upon your suggestion about simply putting a pot of water on, my wife has "loaned" me a couple of metal bread pans, which I've filled with water and put on top of the heater in the man cave. We'll see how that works for a week or so, before investing in something.

Very helpful ... thanks!

4 (edited by unclejoesband 2015-02-21 12:55:54)

Tenement Funster wrote:

my wife has "loaned" me a couple of metal bread pans

Something I should have mentioned.

If these are pans she is fond of using, you'll want to be VERY careful with them. Most people have calcium in their water. The amount varies wildly. If you let the pans go dry, you're going to have a layer of the stuff on the bottom of the pan that gets as hard as concrete. And believe me, it will slip your mind sooner or later; or one will dry up overnight because you forgot to fill it before you went to bed.
You might want to consider going to a Goodwill or some other type of thrift store and picking a couple cheap pots. The ones I use were part of a 50 cent, auction box lot.

I have used a Dampit in guitars for years. Here in Utah we have typically 5-10% humidity at any given time. These seem to do the trick for me. No cracks or anything. And I keep my guitars in the case

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I have a cheap Sunbeam from WalMart in my office.  I refill it each day, and it does an admirable job of keeping the office at a comfortable humidity. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

7 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-02-21 20:12:07)

Uncle Joe ... appreciate your looking out for my long-term welfare with my wife! big_smile

She doesn't use these pans anymore (now has a bread machine) so they're officially re-purposed. Thanks for the other replies. I'm going to give this no cost solution a week or so, and if it doesn't work will look at a proper humidifier.